Colorful and leafy!

1. LightningPig1
    LightningPig1
    Today I planted a few things, very colorful and fun! I thought it might be interesting.

I'm planting this beautiful radiccio called "Rossa Di Treviso"
    Here's a picture on how it's supposed to look:

Then, I planted a Chicory Radiccio called "Castelfranco". Here is a pic:

Then, I planted a wonderful (probably my favorite out of all of them) swiss chard called "Swiss Chard Rainbow". It is beautiful! Here is a pic of how it is supposed to look:

I will keep y'all updated with photos on how it's coming. I'm super excited! I bet Thunder will love it. Next time I want to do purple cauliflower!

I ordered the seeds here: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1400 heirloom garden seeds!

They have a whole bunch of cool colored awesome veggies (and flowers)! You should see their squash. I mean WOW. It is crazy!
  2. LightningPig1
    LightningPig1
    And lastly I planted this: (it limits me to 3 pics) It's a Red Wing salad mix and it should come out like this:

Will definitely post photos of it progressing!
  3. kathi
    kathi
    What lovely pictures!

I was out purchasing seeds the other day and came home with the following: Mesclun salad mix, Swiss Chard Fordhook giant, Romaine and Scarlet Nantes carrots. They are all seed tapes. I also found coriander easy sow 3.5" seed mats for pots.

It looks like the Romaine can be started asap, it says on the back that it thrives in cool weather. I am not sure about the rest, the back of the packages does not say anything about time.

We could still get some frost here in Surrey bc, until mid April. What is the frost date in your area? Do you have a large garden area? Mine is 2.5 feet by 18 feet.

I need to add some soil to it this year as a refresher and because the soil level has sunk a little over the years. I am not sure what to buy. A couple of yards of garden soil or just several bags of premix. Likely the bulk soil due to the volume.

Good luck with your plants, I am looking forward to seeing more pictures!
  4. LightningPig1
    LightningPig1
    Awesome! I am not a huge gardener and haven't much experience but my mom is all over it! We do this thing called square foot gardening (raised beds) and it is amazing. You should check it out! Here is the link - Square Foot Gardening Foundation

I help my mom out with her garden and I get some of the harvest too! I think the frost date over in MS is averaging about March the 18th, just two days from now!
    The four things I planted is in a 2x2 sq. ft. raised bed, small but just mine. My mom has more space though. I can't tell you the exact dimensions of my moms, the layout is sort of confusing. In all, (I'm guesstimating!) probably about 72 sq. ft. in all. Her garden area is all raised beds.

We mix our own soil. Let me tell you, my mom is VERY organic so she does everything the confusing way... I can't remember the exact things we put in our soil but here's the stuff that I can remember:

Vermiculite
    Peat moss
    Cow Manure
    Chicken Manure
    Mushroom compost

And I think that's it. I'm telling you, if you do this, you won't have to add anything more for a looooooooong time! It is Amazing. And plus, the plants look great! The kinda look you see in the seed magazines..... If this were my mom on here, she could go on forever! I have learned so much from her.

Thank you! You too! The seeds still haven't sprouted, but I'm hoping soon.
    Although my moms garden is looking awesome! She started earlier than me although she still has a lot of seeds that she's babying first (for germination) and she's going to plant them soon.
  5. LightningPig1
    LightningPig1
    Oh, and also, you need to get the book! Here is the link -
    Amazon.com: All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space! (9781591862024): Mel Bartholomew: Books

It will really help you a lot. Now, you may be totally not interested, which is fine. I'm just telling you what has really inspired and helped my mom and me!
  6. LightningPig1
    LightningPig1
    Oh, and also, you need to get the book! Here is the link -
    Amazon.com: All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space! (9781591862024): Mel Bartholomew: Books

It will really help you a lot. Now, you may be totally not interested, which is fine. I'm just telling you what has really inspired and helped my mom and me!