5-10 Favorite Books

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. starshine123102
    starshine123102
    1. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (My pig tried eating my copy while taking pictures for the icon...little brat )

2. History of Love by Nicole Krauss

3. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

4. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

5. Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

6. Russell the Sheep by Rob Scotton (picture book)

7. Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

8. Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

9. How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

10. Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare or Postcards From No Man's Land by Aiden Chambers
  2. tehdoc809
    tehdoc809
    1) Dune Saga by Frank Herbert

2) Continuation of the Dune Saga by Brian Herbert (I don't think he ruined his fathers work and am glad for the closure it brought to the series)

3) Lord of the Rings trillogy and the Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

4) Grand Admiral Thrawn Trillogy by Timothy Zahn

5) Jenseits von Gut und Böse by Friedrich Nietzche

6) Götzendämmerung also by Friedrich Nietzche

7) Die Blechtrommel by Günter Grass

8 and 9) Ein Sommernachtstraum und Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor by Shakespear

10) Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw
  3. Somanypets
    Somanypets
    1) A Prayer for Owen Meany- John Irving

2) The Stand: Complete and Uncut version- Stephen King

3) Harry Potter Series - J.K Rowling

4) Dune Saga (cool! I didn't know there was a continuation thanks tehdoc809)

5) Red Dwarf - Grant Naylor

6) The Dollmaker - Harriette Arnow

7) A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

8) Clan of the Cave Bear - Jean Auel

9) IT - Stephen King (scared the _ out of me on the first read)

10) Twilight Saga (3rd and 4th are the best) - Stephanie Meyer
  4. fieryone
    fieryone
    Off the top of my head...

1. The Harry Potter Series (esp. Order of the Phoenix and the Deathly Hallows) - JK Rowling
    2. Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
    3. The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
    4. Red Sox Nation: An Unexpurgated History Of The Red Sox - Peter Golenback
    5. The Minds of Billy Milligan - Daniel Keyes
    6. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton

I've recently gotten into the Twilight series. I'm on New Moon and so far I really like both books.

I like just about all of John Saul's books from the 80's and early 90's.
  5. tehdoc809
    tehdoc809
    Yeah, the Dune series is being continued By Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. They aren't as good as Frank Herberts, but they are still good. He wrote the final two books that concluded the series following notes Frank Herbert left as well as writing six prequels. The prequels... they're ok, its sort of neat to have a better picture for the things they reference. But the two that complete the series are fantastic. He also has a new book that just came out called Paul of Dune that I haven't had a chance to read yet.
  6. Somanypets
    Somanypets
    Wow tehdoc809 I'm really behind on Dune then! I thought that Chapterhouse was the last one and didn't even think of looking for anything more after that. If it isn't too much trouble could you send me the order that they are to be read in?
  7. tehdoc809
    tehdoc809
    Sure, here you go.
    Novels that follow the Dune Chronolgy

Prequels By Brian Herbert

The Butlerian Jihad
    The Machine Crusade
    The Battle of Corrin
    House Atreides
    House Harkonnen
    House Corrino

Then the Original works by Frank Herbert

Final two books by Brain Herbert

Hunters of Dune
    Sandworms of Dune

Brain Herbert is currently working on a series of books called The Heroes of Dune and from what I understand these are just going to be companion books about the Histories of Certain characters. Their place in the Chronolgy is just going to be random. For example. Paul of Dune, the first book in the series. Takes place during the Fremen Jihad of the galaxy between Dune and Dune Messiah where there isn't a lot of information about what happened and how Paul became Emporer. The Next book is suppose to be Lady Jessica of Dune set to come out this year, but no official release date has been set yet.
  8. tehdoc809
    tehdoc809
    Ok, well just thought to add this in, and for some reason it won't let me just edit my post to put it there, but oh well. I haven't started on the Heroes of Dune saga yet, but I was doing some research after I made the post.

Paul of Dune chronicals Pauls life before Dune, between House of Corrin and the first book, then is about what happened between Dune and Dune Messiah.

The second book is now called The Winds of Dune, but Lady Jessica is still the main character. Its about what happens between Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. It's set for release in August 09

The working title of the Third book is The Throne of Dune and Irulan is going to be the focal character. It is suppose to be the sequel to Dune Messiah set right after Paul turns over the Throne to Alia.

The forth novels working title is called Leto of Dune is set between Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune. And is to be about the first years of Leto II reign.
  9. Somanypets
    Somanypets
    whoa. Thanks for all of that tehdoc809! It almost seems like a Lost episode with all the jumping around in the chronology. I'm going to have to take a look at those.

Sorry starshine123102 about going so completely off topic there.
  10. MCR_Rox
    MCR_Rox
    1) The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyers
    2) The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
    3) An Ice Cold Grave by Charlaine Harris
    4) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    5) Black Beauty by I forget (can't believe I can't think of her name!)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast