Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Almost had a Heart Attack!!

Blog entry from old forum

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So, today when I was taking Pedro his breakfast, once I got to his cage my heart skipped a beat. I could not see Pedro! I looked in his sleeping bag, his tunnel and his pigloo and nothing! I couldn't see him anywhere! He's never jumped out of his cage before and at his age I didn't think he could manage it! I went up to his hay bin and had a feeling that I should check there, and sure enough, he was alseep in the bin with all the hay piled on top :melodrama I always knew he loved to "be one with the hay" but never like this! I'm just so happy he's ok! I got a few pictures with him under the hay pile, but you can't see him at all! I wanted to get one with his face peeping out but as soon as I started poking at the hay he started to wheek for breakfast and popped out :crazy: So here is the top and side view of Pedro hiding under the pile:
039.jpg040.jpg
The hay looks quite brown and dry for some reason, but it must be the lighting. It's Oxbow hay, by the way.
Here is my sweetie, Pedro :heart:
View attachment 15164

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
My girl Cuddles favorite spot to nap is in a pile of hay ! She just LOVES to nap there ! She always smells sooooOOOOOoo good too....like the sweet hay that she loves to nap in ! I know that my other sweetie Buttercup likes to tunnel in their hay pile too, but for some reason she never smells sweet like Cuddles does, I think it may be because the scent from the hay sticks to her fur better and longer because she is an abby ? Buttercup is an American Crested....and she just smells like...well nothing really, she doesn't really smell of anything. Strange, huh ?

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Adorable! My pigs love their hay.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Piggies are so cute and silly with their own little habits and personalities :D

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
What is Pedro's personality like ?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
He's pretty much a Mama's boy!! He's slower now that he's getting older and not as active as he used to be, he's almost 7! He likes to be a silly ham sometimes and LOVES to wheek for his food, of course (they don't grow out of that, do they?? hahaha). I call him a little tonka truck because he bulldozes through hay and all his food! He really enjoys cuddles though! He loves to have scritches on his head between his eyes and ears and loves to give kisses! He also likes to chase my Shih Tzu's around the room :crazy: From what I've read and the pictures I have seen, your girls are adorable, kathlaaron!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Wow, he is nearly 7 years old ?! Wow. You must have so much experience having a senior then ! He sounds sooooOOOooo sweet. Did you teach him to give kisses ? How did you teach him ?

Thanks for the compliment, they are all just so precious, aren't they ? Though tonight I did something stupid with Cuddles.

I didn't get a chance to clip their nails last weekend, and after getting Cuddles out for lap time tonight, I noticed her back nails were rather long, so I decided on "impulse" to clip a few. BIG MISTAKE. Cuddles finds GREAT comfort and security in routine and "knowing" when to expect something. As her Mama , I really should of known better!:guilty: She bit me-- and HARD ! She pierced the skin, even. She hasn't done that- like that, in I don't know when ! She shocked me !

Usually we do the nail cuttings, weigh ins, ear checks/cleaning on the weekend, during the daytime, all in one shot. She is usually better behaved than Buttercup is, about nail trims. Well lesson learned here ! She really is a sweetie though, please don't get me wrong...she just likes...needs...routine. So it was my fault, and I frightened her. Sorry to make this post so long...just been a rough day all around. Tomorrow will be better. "The sun will come out, tomorrow...tomorrow" Heeheee.:)

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I never actually taught him to give kisses, they're more licks than actual kisses haha. It's pretty cute because I'll be giving him loves and rubs and then if I stop he'll start licking and then I'll continue scritches and once I stop again he'll start licking again! It's almost like "I'll give you love if you give me some!". It's really sweet though! I'm sorry about Cuddle biting you! Pedro used to bite really hard when he was young during nail clipping. Now he's excellent with it and just stays still! Guineas really do seem to hate change though! Today will be better for you! I know it!! :)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
OH man that is just TOO ADORABLE. Thank you so much for sharing that with me ! Wow you are so blessed.

Buttercup is not as affected with change ups in routine, not really much at all, actually. She is much more flexible, and doesn't seem to mind so much. My girls are complete opposites, in EVERY way. Cuddles has a more sensitive nature, a more temperamental disposition, you know ?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Aww, it sure must be fun to watch them and their different personalities!! :D

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
I have a large corner litter box for my girls hay and they love to jump in get underneath the hay and eat. Sometimes Lizzie will lay down underneath the hay while she's eating.

Roo99

Cavy Slave
Cavyluvr-- I have a corner litterbox for hay as well, and my Griffin will burrow into the hay and lie under it. Then he'll just lie there and munch. Poor Toni has to wait for him to get out to get more than a few nibbles. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.