Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Got to love Jury Duty

Blog entry from old forum

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Every year since I have turned eighteen I get a jury summons like clock work. Usually I call the evenning before and they don't need me and it works out just fine.

Right now I'm taking vacation time at work so I have 16 days off in total. Since the jury summons was on a monday I decided I'd just take a chance and deal with it so that I wouldn't have to worry about it.

So I call on Sunday and find out that I've been put on standby and that I will have to call back on Monday night to get my directions then. I called last night and was instructed to call back on Tuesday night. Tonight after 1730 I called only to be instructed to call back between 1130 and 1200 on thursday for a possible appearance within an hour of the instructions. It's 45 minutes to either court house from where I live.

The biggest problem is I have class from 1600 until 1900 on Thursdays and this particular Thursday I have a paper due. I haven't e-mailed my instructor yet but since she has just realized I work full time and go to school she's been a little more sympathetic toward me. If at the very least I'll be showing up to class a little late.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Oh that stinks! You are really busy, not always a bad thing but thats only when you are busy w/ you piggies.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Do you at least get cool Law and Order type cases? lol

pinky

Cavy Slave
All you need to do is show your instructor your summons and you probably won't have a problem. Most states will exempt you from jury duty if you are a student but you need to submit proof to get the exemption.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Since I only have class one day a week and I'm taking vacation time at work I figured now was the best time to deal with it. When I'm in Paramedic school next year I'm not going to be able to do it. Usually I call and they are like "thanks for calling you've satisfied your reqirement."

We'll find out tomorrow if I have to appear. I hope not.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Oh and pinky thanks for the info, I havent been in this situation before. I'll be e-mailing my instructor sometime today.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
Hopefully they will tell you they do not need you and you can go to class. Around here things get settled a majority of the time before they go to trial and most of the jury pool is not needed. *crosses fingers*

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the info. This is a small area so hopefully there is nothing going on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.