Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Buffy - Pig with attitude problem

Blog entry from old forum

distancel

Cavy Slave
I've come to start thinking Buffy is not a pig's pig. She is a people's pig. She loves sitting with me and watching TV. She will sit in one place when I put her down and likes nothing more than being petted and fussed over. She HATES her cagemates Wesley and Avril. It's crazy. She's a very dominant pig, and anything they are sitting in or eating from, she wants to drive them away. She mostly just sits in one of the hideys, comes out now and then to chase the other two away from anything.

They have a big cage, more than big enough for the three of them. Avril and Wesley are like best friends, they play together and snuggle. As soon as I introduced them they pretty much got along straight away. Buffy never would play with Avril. Avril would try and try to get Buffy to chase her but Buffy would just get annoyed. She would chase her maybe one time around the cage, then go back to her house. Avril would try and entice Buffy to come and play again but Buffy just got annoyed with her. At least Avril now has someone to play with. But Buffy hates both of them, she bosses them both around.

I don't know if I should ever add another piggie to the mix because it might just annoy Buffy further. Sometimes I think about just seperating her from them. I mean is it normal for her to be so mean to both of them all the time? Maybe it is because she was alone for the first 5 or 6 months of her life first with her old owner, then with me until I got Avril to keep her company. She didn't appreciate it like I thought she would though.

Oh silly pigs.

guineapigloverr

Cavy Slave
Well, if you separate them, put a divider between them, if you have a c and c cage, so they can still talk and interact but not fight, then Buffy might realise that it is better to be with them, then you can re introduce them again and see how it goes.

guineapigloverr

Cavy Slave
oh and if you get another pig it might be a good idea because Buffy might get along with that one and make sure you adopt one! but you probably would need a bigger cage if you don't have a big enough cage to keep 4 pigs in

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Do not separate them unless there is bloodshed. It sounds as if she is the dominant pig and dominant pigs boss the others around, it's what they do.

distancel

Cavy Slave
Thanks Ly I'm glad it is normal behaviour. She just seems like such a bully! Years ago I had two male pigs but neither of them were like her. Seriously she seems like she HATES the other pigs!

Guineapigloverr - that thought has crossed my mind but she would probably just boss the new one around as well, lol. I have a c&c cage which is constantly being expanded and changed around so no problems on the cage making bigger thing. I do keep thinking that three is an odd number and I should have 'just one more' (yeah I have said that before, Daniel thinks we will end up with 10 pigs if I get my way).

I'm just going to make sure every pig gets their share of vegetables by having them in a few locations around the cage, she can't be everywhere.

guineapigs777

Cavy Slave
I had two male guinea pigs but then we added a third because we really liked him. But then he started attacking one of the other guinea pigs and we eventually had to house the the third in a separate cage. The fighting was just getting so violent. So don't add a third male if you already have two that get along!! :weepy:

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
guineapigs777 she has two sows with a neutered male.

distancel, I had the same situation with Sebastian and Peggysu. Peggysu didn't want anything to do with him at all, she eventually drew blood. Now he's in a separate cage with a buddy and is happy as a clam. Peggy isn't very nice to her cage mate and bosses her around all the time.

distancel

Cavy Slave
Buffy hasn't drawn blood thankfully but man, she just seems like a mean pig. She's nice to me though. Sometimes I just look at Avril and Wesley and think that maybe they would be happier without her there bossing them both around constantly! But I don't want her to be on her own, and since she hasn't drawn blood I'm not going to do it. It's not like I can ask her 'Hey Buffy would you rather live by yourself?' I've extended the cage again but no difference, lol.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
guineapigs777 said:
So don't add a third male if you already have two that get along!!
Many have trios or herds of boars that get along well. It's dependent upon personality and cage space.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.