Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Is my piggy sick? Eye wants to close.

Blog entry from old forum

Dominic9219

Cavy Slave
I have 2 pigs, one isn't with me right now, because I bought her from the store sick! I like to think I am getting good at telling if my guinea pig is sick. I was able to tell that pip (the sick one) was sick right away, she wasn't moving very much (didn't always run for cover, as a brand new young guinea pig should), had a small bit of eye crust, and sneezed a lot, I put her up to my ear and she was congested. She is now back with Petco, they are gonna fix her up (URI). But this isn't about Pip, this is about the best guinea pig I have ever owned her name is Bear.

I had bear 2 weeks before I got pip. I did separate bear immediately after I noticed Pip was ill. But I have noticed recently that bears eye has been weird. She doesn't seem to like keeping one of her eyes open, she seems very healthy, I caught her a tad congested but a negligible amount. I also caught her sneezing, but only once. She is very active as usual, she is eating. But her eye seems to want to be shut, she actually blinks because of this. I will try to get a picture later.

Her eye still is usually fully open, but when she isn't running and playing, it seems to kind of want to close. Does anyone have experience with this problem? It might be a hay poke, but doesn't that cause the eye to be half closed almost all the time (while injured). Her eye looks perfectly fine, just every now and then wants to close. NO CRUSTIES, are there.

parkerspiggies

Cavy Slave
if a guinea pig is tired, and feels comfortable with their owner and living space, they'll shut their eyes to sleep. But I have also experienced my guinea pig sneezing about 10 times per day. Someone please help!

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, pet store pigs have a tendency to have URIs and other illnesses, due to their crammed living condition. If you heard congestion, even if it was only for that bit, it's always best to take her in for a check. URIs can start with small signs, before they progress into something that becomes too late to control.

A pig sneezing is fine, as long as there's no other symptoms. I have one who sneezes from hay dust and the bedding at times, and he's been checked already. If the piggy is sneezing, and you notice other symptoms: congestion, crusty eyes and nose, and as always, not eating, lethagic, and weight loss, they need to be seen instantly.

For more info on ilness, check out this link: https://www.guinealynx.info/medical.html

Might be easier next time to post in the forum than a blog post :)

Dominic9219

Cavy Slave
Thank you, this is very helpful. The weird thing is, she had a URI already, she no longer has it because she has been treated and I don't think she can get it again. BUT, she seems very healthy, running playing, etc, and she sneezes A LOT. I don't know why? If you know anymore, pls do help.

Squiggles;bt8414 said:
Unfortunately, pet store pigs have a tendency to have URIs and other illnesses, due to their crammed living condition. If you heard congestion, even if it was only for that bit, it's always best to take her in for a check. URIs can start with small signs, before they progress into something that becomes too late to control.

A pig sneezing is fine, as long as there's no other symptoms. I have one who sneezes from hay dust and the bedding at times, and he's been checked already. If the piggy is sneezing, and you notice other symptoms: congestion, crusty eyes and nose, and as always, not eating, lethagic, and weight loss, they need to be seen instantly.

For more info on ilness, check out this link: https://www.guinealynx.info/medical.html

Might be easier next time to post in the forum than a blog post :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.