Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Tribute to Chunky

Blog entry from old forum

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Sadly, my Pug, Chunky, recently passed away. He was a sweet, beautiful boy who lived to be the age of ten. I love him so much, he can never be replaced. Although it pains me to do so, his story deserves to be told. My wonderful Pug, I will always love and never forget you.

My family first rescued Chunky about nine years ago from an abusive breeder. He cowered when we neared him with the broom, and was apparently kept outside-in the heat-for most of the day. As was a Pug's nature, he never bit, nor scratched, intentionally. He wasn't a lapdog, but enjoyed a pat. I still remember when, every once in a while, Chunky would run into the walls at night because he couldn't see where he was going.

I have several wonderful memories of my adoring Pug, including the day that he got out of the gate and ran into the woods. I had to go to school, so I couldn't follow him. When I got back, later that day, apparently Chunky had appeared at the back door about ten minutes after he escaped, pawing and begging to be let in. He barked at his reflection in the glass doors, barked at my uncle-he never really liked any men except for my father-, and was very impatient.

Much to my family's dismay, he enjoyed eating grass contaminated with pest prevention spray, and was throwing up and having "accidents" in his cage every night. It wasn't until a few vet visits-and several vet bills-later that we found out why he was sick.

Everyone loved Chunky. My grandfather, my grandmother-he was a true sweetheart, if not the brightest dog there ever was, but he was Chunky. We loved him. He had a unique personality. He shed everywhere, and his breath smelled horrid, but I loved him for his imperfections.

But alas, our beautiful Pug was not to live forever. A few months ago, he stopped eating. He began to become thin, so we took him to the vet. Turns out he had some kind of sickness, a snout infection, and three ear infections, that he had to take medicine for. His snout infection and sickness went away, but the ear infection's didn't. After several bouts of antibiotics and steroids, the veterinarian announced that Chunky's ears had an odd type of bacteria in them, and that every drug they had tried only made it worse.

That wasn't all. By now, half of his face was paralyzed, and Chunky's eye was pretty much blind. The ear infection had damaged a facial nerve, causing his tear ducts to stop working properly. His eye looked horrible-he couldn't see out of it. In worse news, the only drug that the vets could use safely-that they knew of-would have a good chance of making him go deaf. Blind in one eye and deaf-we had a decision to make.

Unfortunately, we did not have to make that decision. Chunky died on a Thursday of April. He was eating his special food, when it got caught in his throat. His throat was now paralyzed-we didn't know that then-and he couldn't breathe. I won't describe the exact events of his death, as it is too painful. It is hard to see your dog, the sweet Pug that you have loved for nine years, die in front of your eyes. It was too late to take him to the vet. He was buried with his own crowd of mourners in my cousins' yard, as we couldn't do so in our neighborhood.

Later that week, we were told by the vet that Chunky had bone marrow cancer-we would've had to put him down anyways. We still don't know why his throat became paralyzed. Chunky, I will never forget you. You were a great dog, and you now have a special place in my heart. I will always love you, my sweet, wonderful boy. I hope you know that. It pains me every day to see the empty place in our living room where our cage used to be. Where you'd jump up and greet me when I got home from school.

We have another dog now, Tank. He's a Boston Terrier + Pug mix. I love him to death, but, he will never replace Chunky.

Thank you for reading this long tribute. Chunky was a great dog, touching many hearts. He deserves to be remembered.

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry, stay strong

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.