Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog *Update* Fleece

Blog entry from old forum

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I put the fleece in on Saturday...maybe Sunday?? I love it! It makes her cage look so nice! I dread picking up poos but I keep telling myself the more I do it each day the less there is to pick up each time. It is kinda starting to smell today. I am cleaning Sunday though.

Tomorrow I am going to a Wedding. so I can't do it tomorrow. It is my sister's 2 best friends...getting marrid to each other. We have to leave early around noon because it is an hour away. Oh well, it should be a lot of fun! :D

So when I take her fleece out of the cage, I shake it and what not to get stray hairs and hay off. Then I throw it in the washer, no softener, just detergent right? Can I hag it out on the line to dry? Thanks!:crazy:

RainbowPiggy

Cavy Slave
I'm putting in fleece next week, I can't wait!
And I suggest putting in a litter box, and put regular bedding in the litter box. They might be able to train themselves to use the litter box, Mine did! It's a whole lot easier. I suggest washing the fleece about 2 times a week, possibly once if they get litter box trained. If you have a dryer, Then put it in the dryer. But if you don't, using the line is fine. Goodluck! :)

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
I use a little broom and a dust pan to clean up the poops. I don't really enjoy it, but I try to look at it as time spent with my babies :) They love when I sweep, and popcorn like crazy!

I use a small litter box in my cage in the kitchen area, and they seem to go in there sometimes. I put a layer of carefresh in the bottom, and then hay on top.

When I wash, I usually sweep it again really well, just because I live in an apartment, and I don't want people to get mad if there is hay and stuff in the washer... And yes, no softener, as the fleece can't wick as well. You can also throw some white vinegar in with the fleece as well if it is stinky!

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
Alright! I am (full!) cleaning today...I was sick yesterday. I also use a little sweeper thing and dust pan. She is starting to get used to it, she came out when I was sweeping yesterday. I am a little concerned because I have had her for 2 weeks and 2 days and whenever I enter the room she runs and hides in her hidey. I understand it will take time but is there anything else I can do besides hold her?

WheekiePiggy123

Cavy Slave
is there anything else I can do besides hold her?

Have you done floor time with her yet? You could try sitting down with her while she has floor time so she can get used to being around you (even when your not holding her). I like to think it helped my piggy become more comfortable with me.

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
Yeah she gets floor time, not every day, but usually 5-6 times a week. If I walk in a room she goes to her hidey, but after like 2 minutes of me just laying on my bed reading, watching TV, etc she comes out. Is that normal? She also doesn't squeak yet like my old guinea pig did during or before meal time.

anniewntsaG-PIG

Cavy Slave
well, when i 1st got my guinea pig, she didnt squeak at all during feeding time. But once she got used to me she'll always squeak when i come in and run to the front of the cage cuz she thinks she's getting fed! :) i think it will just take time but i guess some guineas dont make noise. And the hiding thing i also think will take time ffor her to get used to u. but it will happen dont worry!!
good luck!

buddyfrank

Cavy Slave
Is fleece better to use than just normal bedding? I just built a new cage for my pig and bedding is going to get costly since i clean the cage twice a week

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.