Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Rehome MY pigs? I think not.

Blog entry from old forum

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yesterday my father and I had an interesting conversation after he told me that he wants me to 'get rid of' the pigs. He simply told me, 'I wouldn't mind you keeping one.' (I have 3) After a couple days of him not giving me any answers, he finally gave me something. He told me that I live for my guinea pigs. That when I wake up, everything I do revolves around them. Every small amount of income, to them. He said that he hates to see me put all of my time and effort into something that gives no return. The return IS my pigs, and I could not even explain that to him. With tears in my eyes, all I could say was 'Well, you don't understand and I don't know if you ever could.' I think I got my point across, as there has been no further mention of rehoming my pigs. Psht, rehome my pigs? I think not.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I remember being the same way about horses, and then about wildlife rehab, even as a child / teenager. I am grateful that I have children with passions as well, whether for animals, singing, or other constructive pursuits. As for what it "returns" to you, I think it benefits you in the most critical ways -- building character, instilling compassion, and generally strenghtening the decency you so clearly have. This will serve you later in pursuing a job, and being a terrific member of the community.

I defer to a parent's opinion, of course, that's just my two cents based on what you've said. I don't know what is driving your dad's thoughts; is it something you can really sit down and talk with him about in more detail? Is it affecting your schoolwork or anything? If you have a relationship with your dad where you can talk to him, I would do that.

I did crack up on the tag cloud, which reads "rehoming parents."

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Me and my father have a better relationship than most, I could say. I did in fact go into more detail about it today and he ended up really trying to understand and we came up with the conclusion that he could never understand, and that there are things such as what I do for my pigs (and the rest of my animals) that make everyone weird and that it's a great thing. We spoke about how his obsession with fishing could be looked at in the same light that my pigs and I could be, and I think that got to him. I realised that it was all out of love, and that I shouldn't have been offended. I'm only 14 and he had me pretty young, so me being the oldest born sometimes I guess I just have to put up with their parenting 'mistakes'. After all, I am their "guinea pigs" ;)
Wildcavy;bt6144 said:
I remember being the same way about horses, and then about wildlife rehab, even as a child / teenager. I am grateful that I have children with passions as well, whether for animals, singing, or other constructive pursuits. As for what it "returns" to you, I think it benefits you in the most critical ways -- building character, instilling compassion, and generally strenghtening the decency you so clearly have. This will serve you later in pursuing a job, and being a terrific member of the community.

I defer to a parent's opinion, of course, that's just my two cents based on what you've said. I don't know what is driving your dad's thoughts; is it something you can really sit down and talk with him about in more detail? Is it affecting your schoolwork or anything? If you have a relationship with your dad where you can talk to him, I would do that.

I did crack up on the tag cloud, which reads "rehoming parents."

MissJean

Cavy Slave
A lot of my time is taken up by my pigs, as well as money spent!

Some people just don't get it. They don't see animals, or at least small animals, the way we do. I feel sorry for them.

Guinea pigs are such amazing creatures. Mine are not affectionate ( they just tolerate me), but they have made such a positive impact on my life. Recently my husband was hit by a car and was hospitalized for a week. Having these pigs helped me keep it together. Just seeing them popcorn around their cage is so uplifting. I feel bad for people that can't feel the same joy I do when I am around my pigs.

I would definitely attempt to communicate to your father about how owning them has made positive change in your life. Also be receptive to his concerns and address them so he feels more comfortable about you having them. Communication is key to any relationship, with a parent or otherwise.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
Aren't children the same thing. People have kids and have to raise them and feed them and clothe them and they are very expensive and what do you get in return? lol obvisouly im not being serious but thats how i would have returned that conversation if it was my dad. :) its extreme but it may work. or for that matter dogs and cats they all cost money and work.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are addicting! Once you hold one you're locked in for life! Go guinea pigs! I spend all of my money on them!

Once my phone crashed and my mom said "you should buy yourself a new one with all of that money you have saved up." I laughed and told her it wasn't mine..it was my pigs!! They get it all! Well most of it. They have to share with the turtle fish frogs and hamster :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.