Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Fleece Rules!

Blog entry from old forum

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Okay. So. I've been doing a little bit of research and decided that if I get a guinea pig *cough cough* correction: WHEN I get a guinea pig, I will make a 2x4 c and c cage-I was already going to make a c and c cage of course but I was debating whether to make it 2x4 or 2x3 but then I realized that I will of course be getting 2 guinea pigs so I'll need more room and I can use the extra grids as the base on the bottom and storage for the food and stuff and a hay rack (the hay rack is a def maybe) and the 2x3s are just too darn small!-and line it w/ wait for it.... fleece! I found some fleece at ikea for only $3.50! That my friend, is a good deal! My dad will definitely love that one! Anywho, ya I'll make a 2x4 (white grids and connectors) c and c cage (idk what color coroplast yet) lined w/ newspaper on the bottom, towels on top of the newspaper, then fleece on top. Now, a question. Does it really matter what color coroplast and/or fleece you get? I mean w/ fleece you don't really see it but is there a real difference in behavior of the guinea pig depending on how light/dark the fleece/coroplast is? or does a certain color of the fleece/coroplast make the cage look smaller/bigger? Thanks for the help :)

I don't think it matters what color of coroplast or fleece you get. When I first made my cage, for the things underneath the fleece I did something almost exactly like you! I had a uhaul blanket (not a pad, a blanket, it really doesn't work that well) a towel, and then newspaper. A lot of people on here told me newspaper is useless, so I took it out. How many towels are you using? Since I have a blanket, I used one towel and it was soaked. So now I go for two on top of the blanket. :p

I've heard that the pigs usually like bright colors but I don't really know. Also many pigs on shavings are completely happy too. I think some of it is people hear it makes the pigs happy and the other half is something you like. I've also heard it is best to put a layer of newspaper and a towel or two under the fleece for the best absorption.

I use this, also. Newspaper, then one thick towel and then fleece. I change it every other day and I have all different colored fleece. I read that piggies can see color . . . but I don't notice any difference in my Guinea Pig from color to color. I think you should get what you like to look at - that's what I did and since it makes me happy looking at it, Hemi, my Guinea Pig seems happy, too. Have fun!

Piggies4me;bt4657 said:
I use this, also. Newspaper, then one thick towel and then fleece. I change it every other day and I have all different colored fleece. I read that piggies can see color . . . but I don't notice any difference in my Guinea Pig from color to color. I think you should get what you like to look at - that's what I did and since it makes me happy looking at it, Hemi, my Guinea Pig seems happy, too. Have fun!

Thanks! I think I'm gonna go with a light purple...haha :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.