Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Tap Water vs. Bottled.... I never realized they would care

Blog entry from old forum

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I have a thing about tap water.
I have lived in around 6 different cities and have never liked any tap water except for the water at my mom's.

So, for years I have had water delivered to me in 5 gallon jugs and use a water color (like in the doctor's office).
But I have always given the pigs tap water.
Charlie drinks water like a fish. George and Patch sip at it.

This morning I had their bottles in their weekly soak and when I finished I filled them with water from the cooler instead of tap. Not sure why I did. I had to let the water sit at room temp for a while cause it does come out very cold and I thought that would be a shock to their systems.

Wow oh Wow! They have been drinking the water since I put in in their cages!

It is regular spring water. Nothing special added. Now that I know they like it so, I will need to order an extra jug every month for them.

I learn something new about my boys every day.

My boys on 7.30.11.jpg (broken link removed)

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Yes, after reading this I am not surprised. We get special filtered water that I ALWAYS give to my rabbit. It seems to be healthier for him and does not include all the chemicals that are put in the city water. It is probably the best for a pet to sustain a long,healthy life. So, good job in switching :)

dinorap

Cavy Slave
HappyHopperz;bt4460 said:
Yes, after reading this I am not surprised. We get special filtered water that I ALWAYS give to my rabbit. It seems to be healthier for him and does not include all the chemicals that are put in the city water. It is probably the best for a pet to sustain a long,healthy life. So, good job in switching :)
Really? I never thought they would care.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I never give tap water and check the bottled water I buy to make sure there are no minerals added for flavor. I rotate between spring and distilled. Water containing minerals can lead to bladder and kidney stones. Some people use a reverse osmosis system to filter their water but it uses a lot of water (depending on the quality of water being treated).. In some cases, where water is free of dissolved solids, two liters of water might be needed to produce one liter of finished water. In other cases, 4 or 5 liters of water has to be used to produce one liter of treated water. It does not disinfect the water.

Xinaa

Cavy Slave
I always fill my boys bottle up with the water from the fridge.(We have the kind that has the water/ice thing on the outside door) Although it comes out slowwwwly, tap water does have all the city chemicals and such.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
I'm sure glad you posted this- guess who will be switching back to fridge water like Xinaa? :)
I used to use fridge water as opposed to tap with my old piggies, but my dad was getting mad and thought I was crazy because there was a sink one room over, haha!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.