Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog not moar cage designing! D:

Blog entry from old forum

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
well, i finally decided yesterday that candy and lucy were going to -have- to get along, because i wanted to see my five piglets together in one big herd other than when i take 'em outside. after lap bonding for about a week, i decided to put all five of them in my big cage and so far it's going well, other than the whole chasing-each-other-while-chattering-because-they-both-want-to-be-the-dominant-pig. the other three generally get along with everyone, including the two dominant pigs, aside from bullying [more in the case of brindy, poor baby. maybe now they'll leave her alone]

but, of course, since my cage is a 3x4 [which yes, i understand -is- big enough to house five females if one has no more room, but i want them to have tons of room!], that means i have to REMODEL IT. i built this 3x4 with no intention of remodeling it for a very, very, very long time aside from loft changes, so this is not gonna be fun to do. especially because it's not just a 3x4 for the pigs, it has a two-level 3x4 on the bottom for the buns, so yay! tons of zip-cutting and crashing grids! i'm so excited! ...not.

i'm planning on shoving it in a corner as far as physically possible so i can have a 2x3 with a 2x4 L-shape. or a 2x4 with a 2x3 L-shape. whichever makes more sense. although i'm a little confused on -how- it's bigger [i mean, i'm assuming it is, since 3x4 = 12, and 2x3 = 6, 2x4 = 8, 8+6=14], so i'm going to go scroll through the photo galleries to get an image of a cage like or similar to that.

also, i adopted a hamster from the spca yesterday. yes, that means i now have thirteen animals and am a little crazy. he's a black bear hamster [which, yes, i understand is basically just a black syrian hamster], and he's one month old. he came from a litter of the usual story; "i bought two guinea pigs/hamsters/mice [in this case, of course, hamster] and they turned out to be boy/girl instead of the same sex and they had a litter [in this case ten] and i can't keep all of them." they bought them from petland, kept two of the babies and the parents, and brought the other eight in. there were only five when i saw them, so luckily they are getting adopted pretty quickly. my hammy's name is zayden.

Congrats on the hammy! I have a fighter pig too, but I have chosen to rehome her to avoid any further injuries. She *should* be going to a new home this weekend, hopefully. Anyways once she is gone I plan to just remove the barrier I have between the two cages and let the other two get an extra 6 grids. Yes I only have 2 girls who bicker constantly! They chatter, chase, and rumble all day but never once have actually bit each other. Here is a pic of the cage(s) a bit like what you are describing no? I want to make a 3x5 for them once we move as the levels bug me now.

Guinea Pigs Galore :: 2011-04-13135934.jpg picture by Kimberly2008_15 - Photobucket

If you don't want to do a major rebuild, you could always make it 3x5 instead of redoing everything. You'll just need to add a 1x3 to the existing cage.

Kimberly713 - thanks! the problem is that both lucy and candy are dominant pigs, so when together it's kinda like world war iii o_O that cage is kinda what i'm lookin' for, except without the dividers.

lissie - well, i usually would, but the spot it's in can't really fit a 3x5. [correction - it can, but that extra fifth grid spot is where my power surge is] i'm going to see if pushing it as far into the corner as possible can fit that extra fifth grid or if i can move the power surge somewhere, although i'd prefer an L-shape to begin with anyway. if i can fit a 2x5 + 2x3 L-shape, that would be bigger than a 3x5, i think.

...i really am -not- looking forward to taking apart that cage, though D:

Well whatever you decide I hope the girls get along better. I wish we could just tell the pigs "Just let it go, stop fighting or no carrot today!" and they'd listen! lol

haha!

i built the cage, and it's all ready, and i didn't even have to take apart the other one!

...problem? i can't fit it through the doorway. -.- [the old cage, that is.]

my legs are already horribly scratched up because of me building this cage and bumping up against cut, sharp zip tie ends. i do -not- feel like taking apart that whole thing! x.x

oh, and the new cage is pretty cool. it's a 2x5 with a 2x3 end...that's big enough for five pigs, right? [to be more correct, it would be a 2x4 with a 2x3 end i think...basically, it's either a 2x7 or 2x8 l-shape if it was laid flat]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.