Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Timber Hide-A-Ways

C

cavytopia

Timber Hide-A-Ways

My two boys have been bickering and chattering over the shared Pigloo in their cage (the Pigloo was included with the cages and the piggies). Last night and this morning I noticed that Squeaky (the dominant) had not even let Tiny (the more reserved) in to the Pigloo and that poor Tiny had slept outside of the Pigloo in the cage. Tiny had even gotten into the tunnel part of the Pigloo and had been trying to sleep there but his bottom was halfway out and halfway in.

So thinking that I would just buy another Pigloo I got one at PetSmart. Then when I got it home I realized that two Pigloos didn't allow much room in the not so spacious hutch. So I checked the cavycages site as I remembered reading something about cutting the Pigloos and was intending on doing that. Scrolling down that page I came across the Timber Hide-A-Ways and remembered seeing them at another pet store (local, not a chain). So....back went the Pigloo to PetSmart and I ended up buying an extra large Timber Hide-A-Way!

Needless to say I quicky removed the Pigloo and will use that for playtime. After putting the Hide-A-Way into the cage corner (which I couldn't do with the round shaped Pigloo) the cage seems larger. Even better there are two doors and plenty of room for both boys with no bickering or chattering! A wonderful house for Squeaky and Tiny!

As an added bonus I have already seen Squeaky chewing on the Hide-A-Way which will help keep his teeth trimmed down. (Still waiting for Tiny to chew on it).

And a big thank you to the cavycages site for having the info here and recommending the Hide-A-Way. :)

C

cavytopia

Re: Timber Hide-A-Ways

Well, though I have seen both boys in the Timber Hide-A-Way (alone and together), my "top piggie" Squeaky still seems to be dominating the Hide-A-Way, not letting Tiny in at times. So....I went back to the pet store and bought a large size Hide-A-Way which is not quite as big as the x-large (two x-large wouldn't have fit in the cage). I put it in the other corner of the cage and have already seen both boys venture in as well as gnaw on the wood. I'm interested to see what will happen -- if one of the boys will claim it or if both will use the x-large at times and perhaps retreat to the large one individually at other times. Life with guinea pigs sure isn't dull! :)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Yes, it's fun trying to figure out what they like. Sometimes I change the cofiguration after I clean the cage.

Just a tip, the pigs really, really like to get around behind the hidey houses. I almost never put them up against a wall or in the corner, even though it seems to give them more floor space. They like to explore behind and around the houses.

C

cavytopia

Thanks for the advice on moving the hide-a-ways out from the wall of the cage. Now that you mention it I have seen them "nosing" between the hide-a-ways and the cage walls. I will pull them out a bit.

BTW, last night and this morning when I checked on my boys, Squeaky was in the big house and Tiny in the littler one.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Yes, they will keep 'nosing' it until they get behind it! :)

During cage cleaning time, I have had 3 porker full-grown pigs crowd into the big house. Hysterical, ususally some fat butt hanging out! :)

C

cavytopia

LOL. Yes, when I do my daily bedding change of the soiled areas (invariably in their houses!), I change half of the cage and then do the other half. Well, while the boys fit perfectly together in the x-large they cram themselves into the large and bicker while I'm cleaning. I have seen several instances of their rear ends poking out! :)

A

Andy6

I love my Timber Hide-A-Ways I just wish I could find a cheaper place to buy them they are so much more expensive than the pigloos.

I'm also a germ nut I sand down my houses but I still feel like I need to use a damp sponge or something with some bleach to get them real clean but I'm worried about warping them and I don't want to bake them every week when I clean cages that wouldn't be good either, so what do you think I should do?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.