Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Midwest Does anyone know anything about this cage?

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
Yep, that's a Midwest cage. It's the only pet store cage large enough for pigs. :)

Sweet Piggy

Cavy Slave
How many will it hold? Does the urine ever soak through the bottom to the floor? I like that this is cheaper than the C&C cages, but I want to make sure it's still a good cage.

Sweet Piggy

Cavy Slave
Also, can the divider be taken out? Seems like a waste of running space.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
How many will it hold? Does the urine ever soak through the bottom to the floor? I like that this is cheaper than the C&C cages, but I want to make sure it's still a good cage.
No, it's not a good cage in comparison.

- it is smaller than the smallest C&C cage and technically, does not meet the minimum cage size requirement.
- yes, it can leak.
- it is much harder to clean the canvas bottom than the coroplast bottom.
- it smells over time because you can never get it totally, perfectly clean because it's made of fabric, not plastic.
- it is not safe around young kids or dogs. The cage walls are very flimsy.
- you cannot add upper levels without reinforcing it
- you should never use the cage divider that you can get with it because that makes it all that much smaller.

You get what you pay for. If you've got $40 to spend on a MW cage and you haven't already, I'd go find the grids and coroplast and make your own for the same amount of money. A much better investment.

Sweet Piggy

Cavy Slave
I was mainly thinking about ease of assembly. I have fibromyalgia and my hands aren't that strong. :(

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You could get someone to help you. My grandmother has arthritis really bad and her hands shake like crazy. So sometimes when we're over there we help her especially if she's crafting. She's an avid crafter she's almost always doing something.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I have arthritis, using pliers helped me out a lot with the c&c cage assembly process.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I was mainly thinking about ease of assembly. I have fibromyalgia and my hands aren't that strong. :(

I agree, getting someone to help you would be a good idea to get it setup. The MW will give you trouble, too. There are a lot of tabs that require a lot of handwork threading them through the thin wire metal grids. And depending on how you clean the cage, you may have to do that more than just during setup. No matter what, once you get a C&C cage setup, the cleaning is much easier, especially if you have hand issues. Much less scrubbing, in fact, no scrubbing, just a very easy spray and wipe-down once the bedding is removed.

I've had plenty of customers that came to us to buy a C&C cage after having purchased and owned a MW cage for a while and say that no amount of scrubbing could get rid of the smell.

Sweet Piggy

Cavy Slave
I don't have anyone to help me. I'll just get the C&C cage and put it together a few pieces at a time. I built my own rat cages and it was HORRIBLE. I was working with lobster claws for three days because my hands were so swollen I couldn't open them all the way. Kind of funny thinking back on it :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.