Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

babysitting

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I'm babysitting my friend's bunny and I want to give him floor time, but I don't know what to use to keep him inside the boundaries. He's a big bunny and I don't want him jumping out and running around the house. :eek: How high should the walls be?
Also, what are some fruits and veggies that are ok for bunnies? Are they the same as piggies?

Thanks for your help!

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
Do you have a baby gate you can use to keep him in one room? If you have extra grids you should make them 2 high so he cant hop over. The same things you give the pigs to snack on is fine for the bunny. You can look over this site www.rabbit.org for some more good tips.

naturestee

Cavy Slave
How big is big? Like compared to your cavies or is he 10 lbs plus? Sometimes large adult rabbits are more lazy and aren't as interested in causing havoc. Not always, just sometimes.;)

In general, baby gates or 2-high grid gates should work, but it really depends on the rabbit. My tiny little 2 lb Polish can make it over barriers if they are placed in a way where she can rebound off the wall for more height. Think martial arts movies.:eye-poppi My 5 lb dutch could almost peek over the barrier I use (about the height of a baby gate), and I've seen him binky much higher than that, but he's never tried to jump the barrier. He's a lazy beast!

Also, if you do use a baby gate, make sure it's not the kind with the soft,flexible plastic mesh in the middle. They can chew themselves a bunny-sized hole in about two minutes flat.

For fruits and veggies, check here:
https://rabbit.org/care/veggies.html
https://rabbit.org/care/fruits.html

Have fun bunnysitting!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I'll try the baby gate idea.

He's a pretty big rabbit. Probably around 7 or 8 pounds, but he is kind of lazy. :)

naturestee

Cavy Slave
fourbwabbys said:
He's a pretty big rabbit. Probably around 7 or 8 pounds, but he is kind of lazy. :)

:D I had to ask. My dutch is 5 lbs and is considered a medium-sized breed. The rabbit you're taking care of is large, but not by a whole lot unless you're only used to small breeds. I have a lot of online friends with Flemish Giants, which are usually 15-20+ pounds. I wish I had the space and time for one! Plus all the Rhinelanders, Palominos, English and French lops, and all the other really cool breeds that I am completely in love with which are often 10 lbs or more.

I'm not making fun, I'm just amused. My first rabbit was my tiny little 2 lb Polish, and I used to think Dutch and mini lops were huge.:) Now I'm totally in love with big bunnies but I have three dwarfs and a dutch.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I don't know what breed he is. He has the ears that stick straight up and he looks a lot like the wild rabbits there are around here.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I would not offer a lot of fruits/veggies unless the rabbit is used to getting them. Sudden diet changes can cause loose stools, and in severe cases, even stasis.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
OK. I just gave him a carrot in the morning and some romaine in the afternoon. The only thing new was the romaine it hasn't bothered him. I think I'm going to give my friend this website so she can see what he should get every day. Right now, his has a store bought cage about a 2x3. He could really use the extra space, besides just floortime.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.