Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vitamin C in water?

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
I just read that you are not supposed to put Vitamin C drops in the piggies water because they might not drink it. I didn't know that, I bought some for him On Saturday and have been putting drops in his water like it says on the bottle, and he's been drinking the water fine. Should I stop doing that and put drops in his pellets or something instead? I don't just want to throw away the whole bottle of drops...

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You're best bet is to throw the bottle away. The drops degrade too quickly in water and can distort taste. They would do the same if you added them to the pellets. If he is eating a good variety of veggies, you don't need the drops at all.

Squirle

Cavy Slave
I have vitamin C drops in the water, but I'll stop in a while, my girls are jsut getting used to everything and still a little weary about veggies and food. They drink the water nicly, I dont think they mind it, but if they are eating their veggies and food fine I dont think its needed.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I should have added that if they aren't eating veggies or very little veggies to get some plain chewable vitamin C tablets with <1 gram of sugar and give them approximately 25-50 mg a day or liquid C that can be dosed with a syringe in the same amount. Oxbow and health food stores carry plain vitamin C tablets.

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
Well he has no problem eating the veggies, he's a true little piggy, LOL. When I clean his bowl there is rarely a full veggie left, so I guess he's good on the Vitamin C, I'll clean out the waterbottle and start giving him regular water today.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
The only time I've ever used the drops is when I've syringe-fed a poorly piggy with pureed food. The cooking degrades the Vit C, so I added some to the cooled mush. However, I wouldn't have bothered if it is was only for a few days - long term is a different matter.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I have vitamin C drops in the water, but I'll stop in a while, my girls are jsut getting used to everything and still a little weary about veggies and food. They drink the water nicly, I dont think they mind it, but if they are eating their veggies and food fine I dont think its needed.

It doesn't matter if they are drinking it. In light the vit c won't even last a few hours so they aren't getting it anyway. The only way to keep vit c in water is to paint the bottle solid black and change it twice a day at least. If you don't store the bottle of vit c away from light and temperature changes the vit c won't even last in the bottle. When you buy it you don't even know how much of the vit c is still good.

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
Oreo never ate his veggies (Just like a kid... Figures.) and once I got Snickers now they can't get enough!

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
Sometimes they need a friend to show them how to eat!

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
Yeah seriously. Its just funny now that I have my new cage because before they were lathargic and hardly moved, now they skip across the cage and play all day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.