Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Evacuating pets

Susan W

Cavy Slave
What starts to tick me off is why don't ALL hotels have a heart and let people with animals stay there during an evacuation? I can understand if they don't want animals peeing on their carpet every day and ban them most of the time, but why not let them in for evacuations and then just plan to shampoo the hotel carpets after they leave? I know so many people who don't evacuate because they don't want to leave their numerous pets, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't leave mine either, but if they don't have a relative who can take in them and all of their animals what are they going to do? They just stay there in the storm. Hotels should open their doors to pets for people in times of need!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I agree totally. I just think that's plain rude and selfish that they won't let the whole family in. If I was in that situation, I would just sneak my piggies in my bag or something. :) I'm not sure what I would do with my birds though! They can't stay quiet for two seconds.

Access

Cavy Slave
Fortunately it is not too hard to sneak in a small animal like a pig or bunny or such. It's nothing to feel guilty about, in the end you must do what is right for your family.. pets are family members just like everyone else.

thecalders

Cavy Slave
Honestly I have snuck a dog into hotels in the past, and she was pretty big, a Dalmatian:D Older and pretty quiet luckally, not at all typical to the breed...

I think the C C cage is great for smuggling though, it can be taken apart and flat packed and smuggled in rather easily I would suspect... Much easier then a Dalmatian, but I agree, it seems really mean to refuse these pets... You would think they could work something out like a damage deposit or something.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
We've snuck our 75 pund lab into a hotel once. We were there for two days and no one had a clue.

Susan W

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I've snuck cats into hotels before too, but its a problem if you have just too many animals, or ones that won't keep quiet. I wish they would just all be nice and let evacuating people bring them all in.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
You would think that hotels and the like would have the heart to accept animals during such a dangerous time - if I thought for one minute that I couldn't take my pigs with me then I certainly wouldn't disappear leaving them to face it on their own. I consider my piggies to be my 'children', and you wouldn't leave your child behind in something like this, would you.
Alright, so it's breaching the rules to allow animals in, but is abandoning your pet during a major disaster and breaching the love and trust between you less important than their stupid rules? You'd think that they would make some exceptions here!

Susan W

Cavy Slave
...Exactly!

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
One of our dogs came on a cross country trip with us once. All the hotels except one weren't stricted about animals. So my mom took an old blanket and wrapped him up in it. When they asked what was in the blanket she said it was a newborn. It was hillarious. We did feel a little guilty, but we love our guys that much.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I saw a few days before Rita hit that in Galvaston (I think) they learned from Katrina that if you don't let people take their pets, the people won't leave! It showed many people on the buses with crates etc. Way to go folks!!:eek:ptimist:

Susan W

Cavy Slave
Well, I do hope they start letting people take them. I know of one woman who stayed in Galveston because she didn't know what to do with all of her 13 cats. Apparently cats are plenty on the island because people don't get them spayed or neutered, then let them breed all over, and they never leave the island (at least that's what someone from there tells me and is why this one woman had so many she was feeding. That was why she didn't evacuate because she couldn't take them or leave them).

jdomans

Cavy Slave
You know having 13 of anything requires more than most people think. Something like that really upsets me to think about. I have to admit that since I divorced and moved back home (30 miles southeast) I am more aware of what I would do if I had to get out of town due to a storm. I am in southeast GA. I am lucky. My daughter is 60 miles west of here and dear friend 90 miles. I have cages in my store room and have thought through the entire process. BUT I am not 70 years old either. No matter, it all falls back on responsible ownership.

A few years ago the city was told to evacuate. My husband (at the time) and I were in Syracuse with his parents. My daughter was home and I quickly called her to tell her what to take etc. Now the nightmare was many people spent the night on the interstate because the city did not plan ahead and do things in orderly fashion. My daughter was in a small car with 3 dogs, a cat (crated), and the parakeet.:crazy: She made a beeline for her brother's place which was northeast of Atlanta. Because of the years of horseshows, she knew the back roads and had no problems at all. The storm never hit and now we have an brand new system on the interstate where the off/on ramps will be closed on one side (so it is on only going out) with those huge railroad track type arms and the traffic will be one way out both sides!

dalmatian_fan
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.