Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Heeeere's Tessie!

kmorain21

Cavy Slave
Hi! I am a first time cavy owner and I am excited! Let me just start by telling you how I got her. For about a month I have been wanting to adopt a piggy or two but after thinking and thinking, I gave up on it. I worked at a animal welfare agency (last week was my last week) so it had been on my mind. We always get donations, so it is not unusual to see a pile of stuff waiting for us as we walk in. There was a rabbit cage filled with trash that morning. The cage was then moved to the back of our building for a few hours before being thrown away in the dumpster. The next morning, our supervisor got onto the person who threw the cage away saying it is important to keep that stuff in case we get a big rabbit or small animal rescue and told her that he got it from the dumpster and that she needed to clean it out. A few hours later we heard her scream. After some confusion we saw this poor little piggy scrounging for something to hide in! It was one of the most hilarious/heartbreaking things. She was silent the entire time, never moved, never did anything. It is a shame that she was dumped.... twice!

So here is my little dumpster pig, Tessie! I am a huge Boston Red Sox fan, so she is named after the Red Sox anthem.

She is in hog heaven now! As a new owner though, I really don't know what I am doing. I have done a ton of research, I just don't know her background and it is taking time to for us to adjust to each other, especially for what she has been through and in a week she will be moving with me back to my hometown. She did just whistle at me though when I went to the fridge, which sent me into sheer giddiness!

Attachments

CAM00247.jpg

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Aww hi and welcome to the forum. What a sad story I really wish you luck with her. Since she went through such an ordeal it might take her longer to get used to you. She's probably not used to such kindness. I hope she settles in okay and good luck. You definitely came to the right place for great information.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hello, welcome to the forum! Tessie is very lucky to have you now! If she's wheeking for veggies so soon that's a great sign. Just talk to her a lot so she gets used to your voice, let her sniff your fingers and take veggies from your hand. I'm dealing with a piggie I adopted just over a week ago and she is skittish. I was very excited today because she loves cilantro (which she had clearly never had before my house and she wouldn't try it at first but then did when she saw Ferb eating it and she went crazy over it) so I lured her out of the hidey with the cilantro and got her to take it from my hand. Good luck and let us know what questions you have, we are happy to help!

P.S. If that willow ball has peanuts in it take those out, piggies shouldn't eat nuts (the willow is fine).

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Definitely check out this forum about feeding what you can give, cages, etc. Basically any question you have has been or will be answered here so you've come to the right place! It was Tessie's day to find you!

kmorain21

Cavy Slave
Thank you all! My fiance removed the nuts this morning. She had a great floor time this morning, she snuggled up into some fleece haha. I think she just isn't a morning pig haha! So far she has tried parsley, cilantro, apples (her favorite) and romaine lettuce. She has yet to touch cucumber or tomato. She looks interested in them but she just lets them sit.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I call cilantro piggie crack, my Ferb will do anything for it and now Penny has tried it and loves it and will snatch it from my hands even though she's skittish and won't come near me otherwise.

kmorain21

Cavy Slave
I know it is going to take time to understand her and vice versa. I don't think she was ever "tamed" because she is really hard to pick up. She really dislikes to be held. She is doing really well for the most part though, we were able to trim her nails and she is fine when we get her out of the cage - but it is like pulling teeth to get her back in. Today after floor time she chattered her teeth together as ​I tried to pick her up to put her back in the cage. She has randomly snapped at me a few times also. I was brushing her and she was wheeking softly as if she enjoyed it then snapped at me and starting grumbling. I didn't go against the fur and for what I could tell it didn't hurt her - it's almost like she was bipolar about it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.