Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Is it an infection? mites? or is the other one eating his hair?

dinarap

Cavy Slave
Hi,
My husband and I were away and someone was watching our 2 guinea pigs for us. We just got them back after almost 4 weeks and one of them is going bald. I can see his skin and it looks like the hair has been eaten or scratched of because some hairs are short (unless they're growing back in). I don't know if it's mite or fungi or if the other guinea pig has started to eat his hair. I'm posting a picture as well. Can anyone tell me what it looks like?
20140501_020720.jpg20140501_020700.jpg

Thank you in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mites, in my opinion. Is he scratching a lot?

dinarap

Cavy Slave
Mites, in my opinion. Is he scratching a lot?
I did notice some scratching, but the second guinea pig isn't losing his hair. Would mites latch on to one and not the other?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, one could have mites, and not the other. But you'll need to treat both, just in case.

And that looks like a pretty bad infestation. If it were me, I'd try to get hold of some Revolution, or take him to the vet for an injection of ivermectin -- that will work quicker than any other way to give it.

dinarap

Cavy Slave
Yes, one could have mites, and not the other. But you'll need to treat both, just in case.

And that looks like a pretty bad infestation. If it were me, I'd try to get hold of some Revolution, or take him to the vet for an injection of ivermectin -- that will work quicker than any other way to give it.

Thank you, does this mean that my house will be infested? How do I make sure I don't get mites all over my house?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Mites can only live on a host, they won't infest your house. People can't get that kind either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.