Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

**Anyone know how to make cavy-cozies?**

T

truzz

**Anyone know how to make cavy-cozies?**

is it easy? where do i go and buy the materials?

thanks~Celine.

N

Nibblet8

Re: **Anyone know how to make cavy-cozies?**

How about using an old fleecy sweater? Just cut it into a rectangle and sew the end and one side.

C

cavytopia

CavySpirit has a detailed description of how to make cavy cozies in the accessories section of the cavycages site.

www.guineapigcages.com/accessories.htm

Scroll down until you see the cavy cozies.

I

IMACAVYLOVER

I agree with Nibblet8.
Cavy cozies can be very costy at pet
stores and it's much more fun making one
yourself I'm sure.

L

Laura0626

Here's a wonderfully descriptive thread on how to make one: (broken link removed)

L

LXF63

making the cozies

That link had too complicated instructions.....

get the furry pet liner (like from Pet Smart) you can cut to fit, 21" x 11".

get some heavy fabric from the clearance section - heavy duty flannel, cut the same 21" x11"

Pin the 'right' sides together --- basically the furry side will be on the inside -- -

Sew straight stitch down a short side, thendown the long side, down the short side and then on the last long side, leave about 3 - 4" 'hole' gap -- Then you just work on pulling through from the opposite corner out through that hole. Poke out the corners so that they get unbunched. The pin and sew the little hole.

Fold in half with the 'fur' on the inside.

Some people use safety pins to pin the ends, but I consider that a hazard to the GP safety -- so I use the large size heavy duty snaps -- real easy to put on. Put the snaps as close to the edges, at the 2 corners so that they snap together. What is nice about the snaps is that they can withstand the squirming around that the GPs do.

I have 3 for each GP so that while one is being washed I always have spares as a backup. They love these things. I am going to make a bunch of these for an upcoming craft show because they are so different, you don't see them online and they are so much easier to clean than the little beds.

If you don't follow the directions, I'll send pictures.

L

LisaJ429

I printed off the instructions and made 4 cozies within an hour. Piglet and Snickers love their new sleepers. They were squealing with delight. Thanks they were very simple to use. :rolleyes:

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
take fleece (or whatever material your pig likes best) cut it into square or rectangle and sew 3 sides so one is open. You can get the material at Hobby Lobby, Walmart, a sewing store, etc.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Here is a link to the best instructions I've found (and they have pictures AND they're easy to make!!!) https://imageevent.com/bizylizy/craftsguineapigfun/lilygraceshowtomakeacozy?n=0&z=1&c=1&x=1&m=9&w=0&p=0
I have made two of them, and still have lots of fabric left over from my two remnants (one fabric, one fleece). There are also lots of other cool ideas there, along with many different projects you can make, including a tunnel and a hammock. Good luck, and don't forget to take pig-tures! =)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Pfft. I tried to read the instructions, but my head hurts afterwards! I got 2 rectangle pieces of fleece and sewed up three of the sides. I then turned it inside out so that the edges were nice and neat. THEN, I rolled over the unsewn side two times to make it a little rigid.

Treen

Cavy Slave
I couldn't cope with following instructions either - I get too impatient to think things through and be orderly! I just sat down and sewed - okay, I had to unpick a couple of bits along the way when I reaslised I'd started sewing the wrong sides together (am I making myself sound stupid here?!), but I'm sure I enjoyed making them all more than if I'd have been following a plan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.