Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Neutering good or bad help please

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
I recently learned one of my piggies is a boy and one pig gave birth and one is pregnant ( please don't buy pet shop pigs ) but I can't bear to rehouse him and the baby. What is the forums opinion on neutering.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Neutering is a great way to keep a bonded male-female pair together, if you find a capable, experienced exotic vet to to it. Call round and get prices, ask questions like 'how many times have you performed the procedure', 'how many times have you successfully performed the procedure' (i.e how many pigs have passed away when you've done this) Go with whoever has the most experience, highest success rate, and lowest death rate.

It's also a fairly simple procedure that's quite safe when done by a vet who fits the above description. You may find that most vets won't perform a neuter until your boar pups is over 3 months though.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@ThePigAlchemist is completely right, I forgot to mention that! A herd with more than one male will often result in fighting, because the boars will both want to be 'top dog' in front of the female/s.

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
@ThePigAlchemist is completely right, I forgot to mention that! A herd with more than one male will often result in fighting, because the boars will both want to be 'top dog' in front of the female/s.
Sorry that come across wrong I am keeping baby Theo from the first litter Pippins one and planning on rehoming Lulus baby's to responsible owners.
Then I am putting baby Theo with his mum and my busy boy with Lulu.
Any name ideas for him so I stop calling him Poppy.

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
Pippin and the older boy (nameless) don't get along:(
Lulu and nameless have a growing bond but so do Pippin and Lulu.
Nameless and Theo (he is a boy ;)) dislike each other;(
As for the names might start a name thread where everyone can help each other with naming pigs ;) I love smileys

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Neutering is a great idea.

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I had Ferb neutered, once I was comfortable with the vet and her experience and success level neutering guinea pigs.

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
I am thinking about getting my big boy done very soon as he is lonely then I can move the baby into a proper cage as the emergency one is quite small.(making a bigger one ASAP)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.