Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Bad luck with fleece need ideas

aunicole

Cavy Gazer
So I have searched the fleece bedding and have tried to make it before and it just doesn't work. Within two days it spells horrible! Someone please tell me how you exactly make it and about how much it cost you for each one you make! I know this is all over the forum but I just want to know what keeps the smell away the longest! Thank you!!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
How have you set up the fleece? You need to have an absorbent layer underneath the fleece, otherwise the urine won't wick through which defeats the purpose. Fleece needs maintenance, if you don't spot clean, the fleece will start to smell quicker.

aunicole

Cavy Gazer
How have you set up the fleece? You need to have an absorbent layer underneath the fleece, otherwise the urine won't wick through which defeats the purpose. Fleece needs maintenance, if you don't spot clean, the fleece will start to smell quicker.

I have the fleece on top with towels underneath and I clean up the poo daily

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
How large is your cage? Fleece won't work in a cage smaller than 2x3 C&C.

aunicole

Cavy Gazer

Aisteraina

Cavy Slave
If you want a way to have the fleece smell less and easier to clean, I suggest buying fleece flippers https://www.guineapigmarket.com/fleece-flippers . Towels (in my opinion) smell pretty bad. If you don't have enough money in your pocket to buy fleece flippers, (like me) you can make your own. Just buy some fleece from your local fabric store (or Walmart, etc.), and you can also buy U-Haul pads here (broken link removed) . You can get coroplast from your local sign shop, but I was able to find mine a Home Depot. In my opinion, this method smells a LOT better than towels under fleece. And it is very easy to clean ;)

EDIT: If you are interested in this method, just ask, and I will be able to tell you how to make it, and how much the cost is. :)

Last edited:

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Firstly you have to wick the fleece by washing it 3+ times with unscented detergent and NO fabric softener. Then you need an obsorbent layer underneath (ie. towels, or uhaul pads). Also you can put vinegar in the rince cycle people use vinegar as a natural softener.

I love fleece much better than disposable bedding. And I've had no trouble with it smelling even after a week. I use uhaul pads under it as my obsorbent layer. But I have boys so any smell I smell is from them scent marking.

aunicole

Cavy Gazer
If you want a way to have the fleece smell less and easier to clean, I suggest buying fleece flippers https://www.guineapigmarket.com/fleece-flippers . Towels (in my opinion) smell pretty bad. If you don't have enough money in your pocket to buy fleece flippers, (like me) you can make your own. Just buy some fleece from your local fabric store (or Walmart, etc.), and you can also buy U-Haul pads here (broken link removed) . You can get coroplast from your local sign shop, but I was able to find mine a Home Depot. In my opinion, this method smells a LOT better than towels under fleece. And it is very easy to clean ;)

EDIT: If you are interested in this method, just ask, and I will be able to tell you how to make it, and how much the cost is. :)

Okay I picked up a moving blanket do you think that will work the same? The padding was going to end up being 12 dollars just to ship let me know how to make the liner also please:) and whatever works best in your cage!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I use uhaul pads I haven't sewn liners yet so I just double up the uhaul pad for my 2x4 c&c cage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Okay I picked up a moving blanket do you think that will work the same? The padding was going to end up being 12 dollars just to ship let me know how to make the liner also please:) and whatever works best in your cage!

It depends on what the moving blanket is made of, and how well it will absorb.

Uhaul pads work really well because they are made from recycled denim, and are very absorbent.

Aisteraina

Cavy Slave
Okay I picked up a moving blanket do you think that will work the same?

It might work, but I am not 100% certain because I have never used them before. I might be able to give a little bit more info if you send a link to what you are talking about. :)

The padding was going to end up being 12 dollars just to ship

If your moving blanket does not work how you want it to, buy some U-Haul pads at your local Ace Hardware store or your local U-Haul store if you don't want to pay the expensive shipping fees.

let me know how to make the liner also please:) and whatever works best in your cage!

Ok there are two methods of setting up fleece bedding. The first option is the one I prefer. It takes a lot more time and work to make, but I think it is completely worth it.

OPTION 1: Fleece Flippers

Get the measurements for each fleece flipper. If this ---> https://www.guineapigmarket.com/fleece-flippers-midwest-cages#.U1cUzOlOWM8 is your cage, here are the measurements: (if that is not your cage, send me a link to what type of cage you have and I will give you the right measurements)

You will need 3 fleece flippers. Each fleece flipper will need:
3 pieces of Coroplast: 22" x 15"
6 Pad Inserts (U-Haul Pad, etc. you will need 2 for each fleece flipper + does not require sewing): 48" x 18"
6 sheets of Fleece (you will need to sew 2 of these together to make one fleece case): 28" x 17"

Once you cut the stuff and sew the fleece cases, here is a video on how to put it together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e06WY7uCsfY

OPTION 2: Regular Fleece Method

If that link I had was your cage, then cut out 2 pads and 1 sheet of fleece 23" x 47". Put the two pads in the cage first, then place the fleece on top. This is a lot simpler to make than fleece flippers, but it is not as easy to wash and spot clean.

REMEMBER: Whatever method you choose, do not use softener when you wash the fleece. Pre-wash the fleece a few times or just soak the fleece in hot water for a few hours (or a day) then wash and dry before using it, so the wicking works better.

aunicole

Cavy Gazer
It might work, but I am not 100% certain because I have never used them before. I might be able to give a little bit more info if you send a link to what you are talking about. :)

If your moving blanket does not work how you want it to, buy some U-Haul pads at your local Ace Hardware store or your local U-Haul store if you don't want to pay the expensive shipping fees.

Ok there are two methods of setting up fleece bedding. The first option is the one I prefer. It takes a lot more time and work to make, but I think it is completely worth it.

OPTION 1: Fleece Flippers

Get the measurements for each fleece flipper. If this ---> https://www.guineapigmarket.com/fleece-flippers-midwest-cages#.U1cUzOlOWM8 is your cage, here are the measurements: (if that is not your cage, send me a link to what type of cage you have and I will give you the right measurements)

You will need 3 fleece flippers. Each fleece flipper will need:
3 pieces of Coroplast: 22" x 15"
6 Pad Inserts (U-Haul Pad, etc. you will need 2 for each fleece flipper + does not require sewing): 48" x 18"
6 sheets of Fleece (you will need to sew 2 of these together to make one fleece case): 28" x 17"

Once you cut the stuff and sew the fleece cases, here is a video on how to put it together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e06WY7uCsfY

OPTION 2: Regular Fleece Method

If that link I had was your cage, then cut out 2 pads and 1 sheet of fleece 23" x 47". Put the two pads in the cage first, then place the fleece on top. This is a lot simpler to make than fleece flippers, but it is not as easy to wash and spot clean.

REMEMBER: Whatever method you choose, do not use softener when you wash the fleece. Pre-wash the fleece a few times or just soak the fleece in hot water for a few hours (or a day) then wash and dry before using it, so the wicking works better.

Thanks that looks easy!
Here is the link to what I bought: (broken link removed)

Aisteraina

Cavy Slave
Here is the link to what I bought: (broken link removed)

Ya, that will probably work. It might not be as good as U-Haul Pads, but, if it works for you then that's awesome. :)

Good luck making your fleece bedding! :D

jeannev79

Cavy Slave
I had the same issue with fleece in there but then I made a 2x7 c&c and don't have that issue now.

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
If you're looking for Uhaul pads without the shipping cost go to page for the pads on the Uhaul website. Right above the add this to cart button is a pick up in store button. It will have you give your location and then it'll tell you all the Uhaul locations in your area that should have them in stock for sale (some places only rent them, this way you don't have to try a bunch of places).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.