PDA

View Full Version : Parasites LICE - Ivermectin - Newbie - HELP PLEASE!!

sandysundlov
04-21-14, 03:10 pm
I brought my piggies outside to see better and while I found nothing on the pig that I was most concerned about (due to hair loss) - the one I thought looked fine.... I saw a live lice bug and tons of eggs. It was a light tan/yellowish long skinny crawly bug & I've googled the pic - definitely guinea lice. I'm going to pick up some pour on cattle Ivermectin for them. HOW DO I USE THIS STUFF?

I had already made a vet's appointment for an initial checkup and a look at Jenice's hair thinning. The appointment is for Friday - should I keep it? It is $110... perhaps the Ivermectin could save me the money? (don't get me wrong - I LOVE my piggies & will pay much more than that for their comfort)

Jenice's hair is thinning and the skin underneath is red.. they don't scratch much at all. Zippy has no hair loss at all - I was actually checking her ears when I saw the bug. Prior to seeing the lice on Zippy - I'd concluded that Jenice may have a fungal type of issue - (no bugs to be seen anywhere - no eggs) Would the Ivermectin make a fungal thing worse?

Do you think I should treat for both? Zippy who has the bug (which most likely they both do)--- Zippy has no signs of problems at all but has only been with Jenice about 2 months.

Neither pig has open sores or even scratches - thankfully.

Princess_Piggie
04-21-14, 03:48 pm
There's a guide on GuineaLynx on how to use the .5% pour on kind, I'm not sure what it is but I'm sure just googling 'guinealynx ivermectin dose' will yield something. Ivermectin won't make anything fungal worse. To treat a fungal infection, get the same kind of cream used for womens yeast infections from a pharmacy (it's available over the counter) and use a q-tip to dab a small amount on.

How old is Jenice, out of interest? And where is her hair loss located?

sandysundlov
04-21-14, 04:11 pm
Princess_Piggie - thanks so much for the info. Jenice is a teddy and she's not all that old - we got her in February and I would guess that she was maybe 1.5 - 2 months at the time. She wasn't full grown - but not as small as Zippy when I got her 2 weeks later. Jenice was the last guinea at the pet shop (yeah- I've learned now that I made a bad choice buying from a pet store...) Anyhow Jenice was housed in pine chips with piggies that had no fur at all. I knew from the start her hair wasn't right. I did notice great improvement the first 6 weeks or so - (her she gets Oxbow pellets, constant hay, mostly fleece with some carefree bedding & daily veggies/fruits). Her fur improved a lot at first - but now has gotten worse fast. It's thinning on her back behind her front legs on each side almost like a figure eight - I have no trouble seeing her skin even though there are no completely bare patches... but can see that the skin has a large area of darker pink tint & looks almost raised in a uniform manner from the lighter pink skin that is close to the large are of thinning. The hair that is on her rump is very thick - cannot see the skin, but a lot of dandruff stuff. Her ears are great, behind them looks normal - but I am going to treat her still for lice.

bpatters
04-21-14, 05:20 pm
Why buy the cattle kind? If you buy the .5% (not the 5%) pour-on kind, you can use it straight from the bottle. The company that makes it is Durvet, and it can be ordered from www.tlpmarketplace.com or Amazon.com.

sandysundlov
04-21-14, 06:35 pm
bpatters - because I'm new to this. I only know what I've gleaned from the forum here in the past few hours. On a thread here it was mentioned to use the kind for cattle that is pour on. Hope that answers your question.

bpatters
04-21-14, 06:41 pm
Well, you'll have complicated directions for diluting it, because it's waaay stronger than what you need for a guinea pig. If you order the .5% pour-on, all you need is a small syringe to measure it with.

sandysundlov
04-21-14, 06:50 pm
OK - so I already did it before I saw the post from you bpatters. Your response scared the crap out of me thinking that I just poisoned my piggies, so I double checked everything I have & did. What I found is this... the box I bought of cattle type is 5mg/ml - so according to this page I can use out of the bottle straight: http://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html

If I poisoned them I will NEVER forgive myself. Being new - I've made the mistake of buying sick pigs. Pet stores make the buyer a victim too - not just the animal. My biggest mistake was falling prey to the pet store due to ignorance - I provide them a great home & they are very loved <3

sandysundlov
04-21-14, 06:52 pm
The only complicated part was finding a syringe small enough. It required .075 cc for my one pig and .085 cc for the other. No diluting. It basically turned out to be a drop behind each ear and one drop on the rump.

foggycreekcavy
04-21-14, 08:21 pm
Actually, the pour-on stuff is for cattle and swine.

sandysundlov
04-22-14, 04:01 am
bpatters - I just love the website that you gave me for the piggy Ivermectin!! I apologize for being defensive - really do appreciate the help & time put in.

sandysundlov
04-22-14, 04:05 am
Funny thing is.... the bottle I have is the EXACT same one they sell - it's durvet. If you click on the link -- the bottle has a picture of cow's head on it. Their dosing instructions send you to the same page that I used. Soooo I guess for a newbie I didn't do too bad & my piggies will be feeling better soon :)

Poor little piggies

Princess_Piggie
04-22-14, 06:56 am
So her hair loss/thinning is mostly located on her sides? I only ask because in older pigs, hair loss in that area can be linked to ovarian cysts. Just to be on the safe side, take a look at http://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html. I'm sure since Janice isn't that old it won't be that, but it never hurts to check IMO :)

MochaAndMoo
04-22-14, 07:12 am
So her hair loss/thinning is mostly located on her sides? I only ask because in older pigs, hair loss in that area can be linked to ovarian cysts. Just to be on the safe side, take a look at http://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html. I'm sure since Janice isn't that old it won't be that, but it never hurts to check IMO :)
Not only older pigs, one of my sows got an ovarian tumor when she was just 1. It generally comes with healthy dandruff-free skin, only damage from excessive self-grooming. The fur doesn't have any full bald patches, it's more thinned.

Princess_Piggie
04-22-14, 07:18 am
Oh no, of course younger pigs can get it, I just meant that when you see hair loss in an older sow one of the more logical things to get checked would be ovarian cysts :)

sandysundlov
04-22-14, 08:51 am
Thanks so much - I'll check this out. Jenice is keeps mounting Zippy today... I'm 99.9% sure they are both female -

The hair issue with Jenice is not any bald spots - but thinning yes. It is worse yet today even. The thinning area is now about 3/4 - 1 inch in wide strip that goes from about knee area of front leg on one side to the shoulder area on the other. Her one leg looks like a poodle type haircut. With a puff of regular below the knee. It's thin enough to easily to skin with is dark pink - no bleeding - but an even layer of hair remains.

Jenice doesn't seem to be scratching much today - would the Ivermectin have already helped her? She is of course rather pre-occupied with her sexual urges, though.

MochaAndMoo
04-22-14, 08:57 am
Thanks so much - I'll check this out. Jenice is keeps mounting Zippy today... I'm 99.9% sure they are both female -

The hair issue with Jenice is not any bald spots - but thinning yes. It is worse yet today even. The thinning area is now about 3/4 - 1 inch in wide strip that goes from about knee area of front leg on one side to the shoulder area on the other. Her one leg looks like a poodle type haircut. With a puff of regular below the knee. It's thin enough to easily to skin with is dark pink - no bleeding - but an even layer of hair remains.

Jenice doesn't seem to be scratching much today - would the Ivermectin have already helped her? She is of course rather pre-occupied with her sexual urges, though.

Sexual aggression is also a sign of Ovarian tumors due to the drastic hormonal changes, I'd definitely take her to an exotic veterinarian to be ultra-sounded. If she does have an ovarian tumor, she will either need to be spayed (have the ovaries and uterus removed, this will prevent it from ever happening again), have the cyst drained or undergo hormonal treatments. Please keep us updated.

sandysundlov
04-22-14, 09:04 am
I do have an appointment on Friday and am going to bring them both in. After having read the link given - it is like a general thinning of hair that Jenice has. SHe has always been defensive of petting her or brushing her back half as well. She has never seemed to be at peace - Zippy will lay down and kick back like life is good. Jenice - not so. Poor Jenice is always upright on her feet - I hadn't considered it a symptom of anything as Jenice had always been "aggressive" and dominating of Zippy to the extent that I've had to separate them because the cage was set up with a wall that separated the food area from the rest & Jenice would guard it - not allowing Zippy in. There's never been any blood drawn - but Jenice is very domineering and cranky - so perhaps her demeanor is symptomatic to these things & she's really not feeling good. :(