Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) How can i convince my parents to allow me to get a new guinea pig?

i8allthefruit

Cavy Slave
I currently have one guinea pig (his name is Chuck). Last year his brother (Chocolate Mocha), sadly passed away on April 25 2013. Ever since then I have noticed that Chuck has been acting more anti-social, he doesn't like being picked up and he wont come out of his hole.

I know my family as more than enough room and money for another guinea pig (we also have a cat and some fish). But my mother doesn't seem to understand that a guinea pig should be around other guinea pigs. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help her understand that it would be best for Chuck to have a playmate.

Also, I do all the cleaning of the cages and I also feed all of our pets. (if anyone was wondering)

Thanks!

(sorry if this is in the wrong forum, i'm new here)

kraizy randoms

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are social animals and are lonely al day by themselves. Plus 2 isn't that much more daily care than 1 imo.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
If you don't get him a friend he may become lethargic and die of loneliness. I've heard to many people lose a pig because the pig lost his friend. That should show he how much better they do in pairs. Maybe showing her this forum may help her understand. As you have said they do better in pairs but maybe having some evidence behind what your saying would help.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That would be tough since Chuck had a cage mate. What's their reason? Are they eventually not wanting any gps in the house anymore? Are they concerned that while they have money, still vet bills can get real high. I'll say that's my reason for having 1 girl. If I worked and was more stable, I'd upgrade her 2 x 4 c & c cage and get her a buddy. But alas I've already spent 2K on her in the last 18 months and that's like a month's worth of bills for me. Maybe some day I'll have real income because there is no way I want to get another and not be able to honestly say I can cover anything that may come up.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think a great idea would be to show them some literature on the subject, like https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm this link, as well as hunting down threads on this forum that cover similar questions to yours. You could even ask them to create their own account on here, so they can post all their concerns about a 2nd pig and we can help address them.

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
First, try telling them the reasons that you would be responsible for a new cavy, and some of the pros of having a new pig.
Also I would try telling them some of the cons, too, so you know what your up against. Check into your budget so you know
if you are comfortable with the expenses of adding onto your cage, more food, etc. Glad I could help!

i8allthefruit

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for responding, my mom is now considering getting 2 playmates for Chuck. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.