Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Lethargic Behavior

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
Hello, everyone! My guinea pig is very unactive. I looked at several videos of guinea pigs and they are all so active. (I'm jealous.) He acts lethargic, but he has always been that way, since I got him as a baby. He is not sick and he recently went to the vet. The vet said he was a healthy little pig, exept we had to treat him for a very minor UTI infection. He is now healthy and happy. The only thing that I am not pleased with is how he is not active and just sits in his hut. Any advice would be apreciated!

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
Activity Vitamins

My BFF has a vitamin for her guinea pig that promotes activity. Does anyone know what this is called and and if it works? Does Anyone recommend this? Any suggestions?

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
Does he have a friend? My solo piggie became more active when she got a friend, but she's still not nearly as active as her younger piggie "sister". She'll sit forever on your lap and not move a muscle. My other pig can't be still a second. Different personalities, maybe?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Re: Activity Vitamins

A vitamin that promotes activity? Hmm, I wonder why she would do that.

If they're legargic to begin with, then there has to be a different reason such as sickness or vitamin deficiency. If it's just their personality, then why would you try to change you pig's personality with pills?

It doesn't sound good for various reasons. Do you know what it's called? I'm not a medicine expert, but it sounds like there could be multiple side effects. There's a possibility it could raise the guinea pig's heart level, deprive them of rest, and more. Plus, it just doesn't sound natural.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
It could be a number of things. Do you mind if I ask a few questions to possibly help? :) It would help me and the other members determine whether the cause is that he's not tame, bored, scared, or if it's just his personality. :)

1) How big is your cage?
2) Does he have a friend?
3) How old is he?
4) How long ago did you adopt him?
5) Do you switch out his toys and replace them?
6) How often do you take him out of his cage?

I hope I can help in any way!

Artista

Cavy Slave
Another sign is if you offer his very favorite treat in the world, does he pop out of lethargy? My girl looks this way all the time since I got her. She's learned what some phrases and words mean. The word treat is her very favorite word. All I have to do is say that a couple of times and even if she's dozing, she bounces up and trots around her cage in anticipation while wheeking. Now if she's really not feeling well and is battling an illness, she wouldn't do that for her (broken link removed) treat. That's something I use to gage her health in addition to the traditional things to look out for.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave

That sounds like giving a person who's tired caffeine pills, or energy drinks. See, the way those things work, is they use up all your reserve energy, the stuff your body saves for an emergency, when your fight-or-flight instincts kick in. They don't give extra energy, they just use up everything you currently have, which in the long term, has serious negative effects if you do it on a daily basis.

I feel like you might have worded your question wrong though - are you sure your friend isn't just giving Vitamin C tablets as a general booster on top of vegetables, and has noticed a side-effect of more activity in her pig?

Artista

Cavy Slave

I don't think you should be giving vitamins to gps. The only thing is vitamin C if your gp isn't getting it from the green peppers he should be getting daily for it along with a mix of veggies you can find https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List.

You posted your lethargy thread. Some folks have responded with some great questions as to why he could be like this.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@pigslave1 - I have merged your two threads as they are on the same or very similar topics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.