Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Carpet protection options for under a C&C cage.

crowwulf

Cavy Slave
Greetings,
I recently moved to a new home and I have placed an order so that I can increase my cage from 3x2 plus 1x2 loft to 5x2 plus 2x2 loft. I'll be moving the cage from a room with wood floor to a room with carpet but carpet poses a whole new problem for cleaning. A poop or two always finds its way onto the floor not to mention the hay and whatever else that they kick up from the cage. With wood floors we can easily sweep but with carpet that becomes a problem. It is also brand new carpet so we really want to keep it clean.

We thought about a floor mat like people use for office chairs on carpet but they don't get big enough for a 5x2 cage. The few that are big enough are $100+. A tarp won't fly because it will be in a living area and would look sort of trashy. I thought about one of the heavy duty shower curtains but don't know if that would look acceptable or do the job.

What solutions have other folks tried? I must be searching with the wrong keywords because I'm sure there must be existing posts on this topic.

Thanks!

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
A pet cargo liner :) the one I use is 4x4 feet, less than $30... Get two if needed. I'm in school but I'll get you the link later!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Having higher coroplast walls would probably help keep the debris inside the cage.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The pellets that come out are dried so it really doesn't do anything and the hay can be swept up. If you are worried about germs, spray the carpet with a little lysol. To me it's a lot less germie compared to my cats that walk in their cat pan and then all over the apartment.

crowwulf

Cavy Slave
With the cage in a corner and raised up on the storage system from the cages store, poop, hay, and whatever else that falls on the far side is visible but hard to get to without moving the whole cage, which is more difficult on carpet than it was on wood. The legs of the cage can sometimes grind poop into the carpet and hay can stick to carpet as bad as it does to fleece and take a bit of picking to get everything out. I know it isn't a huge deal and I could certainly work around it but I thought there might be some creative solutions other folks have come up with. The carpet is off-white so any dirt or pellets are very visible.

I like the idea of the pet cargo liner. My other thought would just be to put the whole thing on a piece of plywood with casters on the bottom so I can roll it out from the corner more easily to vacuum. If the wood extends a few inches past the cage on all sides it should catch most debris.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I just use a hand vacuum and get the poop, hay and bedding off the carpet that way.

jinxie

Cavy Slave
The other replies are really good. I love the plywood casters idea! Most messes in my experience are always due to me dropping hay or poops as I sweep and feed, not from the pigs. So i would recommend the best thing you could do is put a good sized area rug/mat down, place a trash can really close to the cage and keep the hay close as well so as little as possible goes on the floor. Good luck and let us know what works!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
High coroplast walls
And accepting the fact that guinea pigs are....well pigs. There will always be some sort of mess that happens.

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
Try high cloroplast walls or a fold tablecloth/tarp thingie.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
My cage is on a grid stand. I have a hand vac I can use to clean the bottom part and usually brush up stray hay, etc. with a small hand broom.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Here is the cargo liner. It comes in a few different colors (for different prices), but I use the tan one...
(broken link removed)

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
Here is the cargo liner. It comes in a few different colors (for different prices), but I use the tan one...
(broken link removed)

This is a GREAT idea! Thanks, AmberCalzone!

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Not a problem :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.