Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Socks with hay

Acorn

Cavy Slave
Are old socks (not old, just... well, the socks that don't have the other pair) stuffed with hay good for my piggy? I was just wondering.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I believe quite a few people have suggested that as a toy for piggers. Just make sure if they look to be chewing on the sock a lot and it gets any holes that you take it away and replace it. Check in the Accessories or Toys threads also. You might find more information.

Acorn

Cavy Slave
okay, thanks for the help!!! ;)

ilovemykisses

Cavy Slave
I read somewhere that toilet paper rolls *the little cardboard part* stuffed with hay is also a good toy for them :)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
TP rolls are great toys. If you try that, make sure you either slit them down the long way, or cut them into a spiral first, so your piggy can't get stuck.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Though I always cut mine anyway, i have always wondered how a 1 kg piggy could get stuck in a TP roll. An oatmeal roll yes, but a tp roll? Unless you guys in the US have really big tp rolls I just don't get how it could happen.

I cut them anyway, my pigs like spirals best, more edges to chew and more fun to play tug or war with, but I still scratch my head, look at my pigs and tp rolls and wonder.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Maybe it's the littler pigs who get stuck in them? I see your point, Sabriel...there is no way a fully grown pig could squeeze themselves through a toilet paper roll!

I made my pigs a sock toy once, but they completely ignored it. Some pigs probably love them though!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I could see Lina pullig it off, but she is 815g on a good day. She is very tiny. Kero the Large and Lazy could not even fit his head it. He just barely fits in the doors to things like log cabins now. The fur doesn't help.

Acorn

Cavy Slave
Yeah, my pig just sorta pounced on it. Besides, I don't really have to cut mine, but I think I will. My piggy's bootie won't get her anywhere near the stucking part!!!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They may not be able to get their bodies in the tp roll to get stuck but they can get their head stuck in it. I learned this from experience. Several months ago I gave my pigs an uncut tp roll with some hay inside thinking they were way too big to get stuck. Well CoCo wanted the hay in the middle and stuck her head in it and then couldn't get her head out! CoCo is an Aby and was about 8-9 months old when this happened. So please cut the tp rolls before giving them to the pigs.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Laura that is an oatmeal container. The copywrite for the pic is listed under oatmeal containers. Over here you can buy plain oatmeal (yuck) in a round container. But since most people buy flavoured instant they don't know that. :p

Now a gp head I can see getting stick in there. Just not the middle. I think if the advice came with an actual story of what may happen people would be more likely to believe it. I always cut my tp rolls, I just never could figure out why I should.

Last edited:

uthoria

Cavy Slave
Cool ideas guys...thanx

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I recently made an oatmeal cannister tube for Percy. A plain oatmeal box is about 4-5" in diameter, so unless you have a LOT of pig, you're probably safe. Throw away the top, pull off any plastic and the label, cut out the bottom, and voila! Piggy Tunnel! It was pretty comical the first time I saw him in it. I thought he was stuck, but when I tapped on the cage, he zoomed right out. Apparently, the tube looked like a good place to nap.

uthoria

Cavy Slave
Percy's Mom said:
I recently made an oatmeal cannister tube for Percy. A plain oatmeal box is about 4-5" in diameter, so unless you have a LOT of pig, you're probably safe. Throw away the top, pull off any plastic and the label, cut out the bottom, and voila! Piggy Tunnel! It was pretty comical the first time I saw him in it. I thought he was stuck, but when I tapped on the cage, he zoomed right out. Apparently, the tube looked like a good place to nap.

To think I actually spent $8.99 on a commercial play/hidey tube:melodrama

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You can never have too many toys, and seeing as they will probably get chewed, you'll need replacements. I keep a storage container to put extra/alternate toys in for when the guys get bored.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.