Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Injury or Possible mites

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I recently adopted 2 girls yesterday to add to my herd (doing introductions still but seperated) but I've noticed a somewhat split patch on the back of one of them. I was curious so I examined her fur down to her skin and I saw what looks to be a scab. I'm unsure if this is from injury or if this is possible mites as the woman I adopted her from didn't mention this or was probably unaware.

Things to add:

This girl is aggressive when she wants to be.

Bossy attitude

She teeth chattered and launched at my oldest guinea pig during introductions.

She was a bit aggressive in the cage where I adopted her from. (with 4 others)

She can be skittish (she indeed runs away alot and runs at the very sight of movement).

I tried to take a decent picture but she kept moving around. This was the best I could take.

I'm thinking she may have gotten this from injury or a previous fight but don't want to rule out mites. I HAVE checked her fur and under her to see if she had ANY other spots like this but I couldn't find any. Just this part of her back. I don't want to touch it as I don't want to run the risk of infecting her even with my hands being clean. Do you think I should take her to the vet? Will this get worse? Is it possible to clear this? Does this look like mites? Thank you ><

20140404_102243.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't tell where on her back that is. Is it possible it's her grease gland?

You won't find any evidence of mites unless the infestation is bad enough that she's scratching all the time.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I took another picture if it helps.

20140404_110555.jpg

That's the spot where it is. I haven't found any others on her body

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Definitely not a grease gland -- that's down where her tail would be if she had one.

It looks like an old injury to me. If you can gently poke around it a little and it's not red, swollen, or hot, then I'd just watch it carefully for a day or so to see if it heals. Not all piggy injuries result in abscesses, but you do have to observe them carefully to make sure things aren't going wrong. If it continues to heal, then just keep going. If it gets any worse at all, I'd take her to the vet.

I wouldn't worry about the aggressiveness at this point. You have no idea about the kind of conditions she's been living it. She may calm down with you, so I'd give it a while before I considered it a problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.