Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Long time cavy slave, but new to this forum :)

JennysGPigs

Cavy Slave
Hi! My name is Jenny. I live in North Dakota with my husband, our dog Lucy, and our 4 guinea pigs- Guinness, Wally, Peanut, and Snickers. They are all males and we love our boars! Guinness and Wally are cage mates, while Peanut and Snickers are cage mates. Sadly all 4 do not get along so there is a divider between the 2 cages. But the pairs get along great and although they sometimes rumblestrut they are totally BFFs. We first got Guinness in 2010 so I am a long time cavy slave, but just joining this forum so that I can get some new cage ideas! Right now we have 2- 2x4 C&C cages (one 2x4 for each pair) which obviously takes up a ton of space but I love it, I call it the "guinea pig annex" or the "pig apartments". My husband loves the guineas too but wishes the C&C cages didn't look so temporary, and that they looked more like furniture and had some space to conceal everything underneath in a neat way. We are fairly handy with wood and tools so we are planning on building new cages, either just making nice tables to put the cages on, or building an entire cage out of wood and wire/grids/etc?? We need ideas!

piggy pals.jpg
Wally and Guinness (these 2 are total posers for the camera)

little piggy pals.jpg
Snickers and Peanut (these 2 are my rascally little ones!)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum.

The great thing about c&c cages is the only limit is your imagination. The alternative cages section in the gallery is a great place to start.

audrey.e

Cavy Slave
They are so stinkin' cute! I am also a long time cavy slave, yet new to the forum. Welcome! You have amazing names for your pigs!

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
Hi, Welcome to the forum :) Your pigs are adorable & I love their names.
Have a look through the photos in the gallery & I'm sure you'll find some ideas.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They're so cute, and I love the names! Snickers and Peanut definitely have a cheeky look about them, I can tell those two are the trouble makers :p

There's so many ways to build cages it's amazing. Lots of people build them in bookshelves, I even saw one user who built one in their piano top (it was amazing), so if you look round the gallery, you'll definitely find inspiration :) I think a cool way to go would be to build the cage in a single bed frame, a wooden one.

pippypoppy2

Cavy Slave
I'm afraid I'm new to the cavy world and don't have any advice on cages but just wanted to say how cute your piggies are. What sweeties!

jinxie

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Those are some adorable piggy pigtures! I agree with your husband the cages do have a temporary look about them. I got black coro to match black grids I think it does look "cleaner" and uniform that way instead of white or colored coro The gallery has some amazing wood and grid cages that if you are handy as you say can be easily done and add more functionality. I would totally frame mine in wood if I had the room for a nice saw.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
An idea, how about plexiglass? It gives it a more.. modern look? Im not sure about the pricey-ness on it because I never looked into it, but they do look really chic!
Others use a waterproof sealent on wood, so that the pigs wont ruin it. You could make a large enough cage out of wood, and set coroplast on the inside of it. That way, you have a nice place, and the woods protected. Hope this sparks an idea!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
What we did for my cage is made a wooden tray out of this fancy plywood like you would make a tray with coroplast and set the grids inside the tray and set it on milk crates but you can't see the crates. Maybe use plexi-glass instead of grids to make it look fancy-er?

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
OMGawsh, your piggies are so beautiful and cute! (Or I should say 'handsome'.)

I had the same reaction to C&C cages as your husband at first. I got over it by making my cage really colorful and now I like it a lot.

I have seen people make cages out of lucite so you can see the pigs -- unlike if you used wood. It was on a wooden stand I think, but was a big, clear lucite box.

Here's my cage, for what it's worth...

cage111113-1.jpg

Good luck to you and I hope you stick around. I'd love to see your results.

jeannev79

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum! I love the pigtures and the names of your boys. With my cage I added lots of colors (thanks to my daughter) to make the cage look better.

IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0058.jpgIMG_0059.jpg

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, your boys are very handsome!

JennysGPigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the suggestions! I love all the colorful cages, right now we have fleece but definitely not as bright and cheery! I will have to mix it up and maybe get some colorful bins for storage as well. I definitely have a lot of ideas and lots to think about now :) I will post pictures when we start planning and building!

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
There are plenty of people on here with nice looking cages I hope they can help you

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
@gatorgirl, I have to say, I LOVE your cage! I'm a little green, lol. Nice cages like these, to me, look like furniture. I mean as an accessory or something.

[MENTION=31458]JennysGPigs[/MENTION], here is and idea you may be interested in and I hope you can understand what I'm saying through text: why not make a sectional-like table for your cages out of wood? I saw one at a thrift store. It was too small for me to use but it gave me a great idea! It was white, and about and inch and a half thick all the way around and about five inches deep. Almost like a built in tray! With that. You could build something like that and put grids all the way around on the inside and then use fleece flippers and stuff to line it. You could also put some kind of tale cloth down... something you like, and have it reach the four and use underneath to table as storage!

I hope I've explained it right. :)

Also, a lot of people put one cage on top of another, but for me that wouldn't be an option because I'm so short. I wouldn't be able to easily get them from the cage and cleaning it at that height on a step stool (forget it... I'm afraid of any kind of heights). While I don't usually let my fears rule what I do (I still hike up mountains and climb), I don't want to have to worry about dropping a piggy too, ya know?

Anyway, I hope I helped! BTW, I think yore pigs have got to be some of the cutest on here! Very photogenic!

Please keep us updated on how you do the cages...I love to see what people come up with!

Welcome to the forum!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Hi! Welcome to GPC.

Here's my cage. It's the same size as a 2x7 C&C. We have a pair on the top cage, and another pair on the bottom cage.
(broken link removed)

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Hi! Welcome to GPC.

Here's my cage. It's the same size as a 2x7 C&C. We have a pair on the top cage, and another pair on the bottom cage.
(broken link removed)

Oh I like your cage too! Was it pricey to build?

JennysGPigs

Cavy Slave
I love it! Where can you buy the plexigass? And how high are your plexi walls?

Tarams

Cavy Slave
Welcome! My cage still looks like a cage, but my hubby built it onto of kitchen cabinets that he put together, and put on wheels. It looks nice, and there is great storage!

Attachments

image.jpg

JennysGPigs

Cavy Slave
Oooh, I love that! It would be nice to hide the storage away like that instead of having toys/food/hay just sitting out in the open. How did you attach the cage to the cabinet base? Or is it just sitting on top?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.