Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Was Curious how long it typically takes for C&C cages to ship

Jshaw

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry if this has already been posted, I looked around the website and the forums(not alot to be fair, I could of done some more digging) but instead I thought I'd ask and see if I could find out roughly when the C&C Cage should be shipping/delivered. I know you can track it from your account page, but that's only once it's actually shipped I'd assume. Sorry if you guys get asked this alot, but our nearest pet store is roughly 40 miles from where I live(we have a few stores withen a 5 minute drive that sell everything we need for the guinea pig, just not the pig it's self), so driving there is a bit of hassle, so I mostly want to know so I can get a idea of when I should call them to ask about their pigs. Anyways that's all. :)

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
I can't help you with your cage question, as I never ordered from GuineaPigCages. But I noticed that you mentioned a pet-store. We're "anti pet-store" for a number of reasons, but to sum it up... the pigs are kept in horrible conditions, and come from "local breeders" (PetSmarts words exactly, when I asked), which are like puppy mills. Often their pigs are sick (due to breeders not knowing what they're doing, and also because of the conditions they're kept in) and not sexed correctly. If you purchase from a pet store you're only showing them that there is a demand for the animal, so the horrible cycle will continue :/

If you're looking for your first pair of guinea pigs, I urge you to look into adoption. Your local animal shelter may have guinea pigs. If you look on PetFinder.com you'll find many, many pigs that are up for adoption. Only rescues are able to post on PetFinder so they're pretty reputable. Also check out GuineaPigZone, and Craigslist.

Jshaw

Cavy Slave
I can't help you with your cage question, as I never ordered from GuineaPigCages. But I noticed that you mentioned a pet-store. We're "anti pet-store" for a number of reasons, but to sum it up... the pigs are kept in horrible conditions, and come from "local breeders" (PetSmarts words exactly, when I asked), which are like puppy mills. Often their pigs are sick (due to breeders not knowing what they're doing, and also because of the conditions they're kept in) and not sexed correctly. If you purchase from a pet store you're only showing them that there is a demand for the animal, so the horrible cycle will continue :/

If you're looking for your first pair of guinea pigs, I urge you to look into adoption. Your local animal shelter may have guinea pigs. If you look on PetFinder.com you'll find many, many pigs that are up for adoption. Only rescues are able to post on PetFinder so they're pretty reputable. Also check out GuineaPigZone, and Craigslist.

I have heard that about pet smart,which is why i'm avoiding it, however from what i've heard about this pet store, it seems pretty okay, it's a little local one in Houlton here owned by a married couple I believe, so hopefully it's okay. Granted i've never been there my self, but we've have friends/ family get pets from them, all fairly healthy/happy

EDIT: however, I am going to check out the link you provided to pet finder, to see if there is any near me, avoiding a hour drive and the possibility of a sick animal would be grand. But I really don't think they are treated badly at this one.

Jshaw

Cavy Slave
I don't mean to double post, but I can't seem to edit my last two, I found the answer to my question right on the FAQ, turns out I really didn't look that hard, sorry about that, Feel free to delete the thread.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Regardless of what pet stop it is, they're all promoting the breeding cycle that results in death for countless sows. They're all promoting the breeding cycle that means there are thousands of guinea pigs in shelters needing homes. It's not just about the condition of the instore pets, it's about what you're supporting when you buy a pet from a pet shop. The only way to stop them from breeding the poor sows back-to-back, is to stop demanding the 'product', regardless of the shop.

This site is anti-breeding and anti-pet store, and those both cover any and all pet shops that sell live animals. Please look at the sites recommended by @AmberCalzone, and even look at the adoptables on here too, those pigs need homes too, and the less we support pet stores selling animals, the quicker they stop.

Jshaw

Cavy Slave
Regardless of what pet stop it is, they're all promoting the breeding cycle that results in death for countless sows. They're all promoting the breeding cycle that means there are thousands of guinea pigs in shelters needing homes. It's not just about the condition of the instore pets, it's about what you're supporting when you buy a pet from a pet shop. The only way to stop them from breeding the poor sows back-to-back, is to stop demanding the 'product', regardless of the shop.

This site is anti-breeding and anti-pet store, and those both cover any and all pet shops that sell live animals. Please look at the sites recommended by @AmberCalzone, and even look at the adoptables on here too, those pigs need homes too, and the less we support pet stores selling animals, the quicker they stop.

I've already started looking around the site Amber provided, and fully intend to look around at some of the local shelters befor I head down to get one. I know your probably not 100% happy with this reply, but it's really the best I got. I know pet stores as a hole havn't been great with how they breed or treat their animals (pet smart especially) which is why I avoid them when possible, but I do have some hope for this local one. I know it isn't about the store owners being good people and it's about saying it's not okay to be breeding the way most places do, but I do generally believe this place is honest about how they get their animals. (though I suppose that's the point, when trying to sell anything)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
The thing about pet stores selling live animals though, is that if the animals are bred in good conditions (which this stores may well be for all I know), they're adding to the already growing populous of guinea pigs. So many of them need homes and are being put down, kept in cramped conditions, etc, because of the ones in pet stores. Even bred in good conditions, 1 in 5 sows die giving birth, and the more times a sow is bred, the higher the risk of her dying. It's the sort of thing you need to see the big picture on to understand it really, instead of just seeing the baby piggie in a pet store, you have to look at the pigs that died to provide the babies.

I won't even deny it, my girls are from a pet store. It was before I found this forum, and like you and many others, I was 1. unaware of the real pet store situation, and 2. I wanted to 'rescue' them from the store. I realise now that doing that might and probably did contribute to a sow in a breeding mill dying. Of course I don't regret getting my girls, I love them so much, I just wish I had found them in a rescue centre instead.

Of course animals will always need homes there's no denying that, look at dogs, dogs used to be sold in pet stores, and even though they aren't anymore, there are still plenty waiting for a home in a rescue centre somewhere. But, at least they aren't bred commercially anymore, and that's what we want for guinea pigs too.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Mine shipped within a week last year. Sue at the cages store here is VERY nice and helpful. Send her an email from that site and she responds quick. At least she can give you an idea of when it will get out the door. Then once the carrier gets it, you will have a tracking number to see where it's at.

melynda

Cavy Slave
I just changed from a midwest cage to a 2x5 C&C. I bought it on 3-24. It shipped 3-25, and I got it the very next day, 3-26. I did *not* expect to get it that fast.

Jshaw

Cavy Slave
I just changed from a midwest cage to a 2x5 C&C. I bought it on 3-24. It shipped 3-25, and I got it the very next day, 3-26. I did *not* expect to get it that fast.
Awesome! I ended up finding a estimation on the FAQ a couple hours ago, once it ships should only be 1-3 business days, surprised to see it's on the 1 day end.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.