Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Canadian Newbie! Gettting my two girlies in a few weeks

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I am in Ontario Canada, and thought I would properly introduce myself :) I did make an emergency post about taking in a rescue, but luckily a Small Animal Organization took him. And he already has a home!

I've been bugging my SO (significant other) for a Guinea Pig for quite some time, as I have Rabbits but wanted something a bit different! Plus they are adorable :rolleyes: He FINALLY said yes! So I found this forum, which has tons of awesome information, so I could do my proper research before getting a Guinea Pig. I am officially getting two! Females, as a friend told me her experience with Females has been better than with Males. A home run Small Animal Rescue has had two litters of Guinea Pigs! One that is ready to go, and one that will be ready in a week or so. I will be getting one Female from each litter, only because neither litter had more than 1 girl. Hopefully bonding will go well :)

I will be making a C&C cage, which will hopefully be finished in a week. Can't wait to post photos! I've loved seeing everyone's cages and Pigs.

TiaColleen

Cavy Slave
Congratulations, and welcome. I thought I was getting a female, but it turned out to be a male. But I love him, and I kinda think the hubby likes that there are more males in the house! LOL

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Congratulations, and welcome. I thought I was getting a female, but it turned out to be a male. But I love him, and I kinda think the hubby likes that there are more males in the house! LOL

Haha! Yeah I am REALLY hoping that they are sex correctly... I will attempt it myself once they settle in, as I've been looking at a million photos :eek: I'm hoping my SO will warm up to them once we have them.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Welcome and thanks for rescuing the guinea pigs. As time goes on feel free to ask questions as there are many knowledgable people on here who will try to answer you questions the best they can.

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Welcome and thanks for rescuing the guinea pigs. As time goes on feel free to ask questions as there are many knowledgable people on here who will try to answer you questions the best they can.

Thanks! So far everyone has been great :) My main concern is using fleece...so we'll see how that goes! I plan to use towels, then puppy pee pads and then the fleece

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome if the forum.

I'm so glad you decided to adopt as this forum is pro adoption. I would check their genders yourself before leaving the rescue. You dont want to bring them home put them together and end up with babies. Just two be on the safe side, better safe than sorry.

When you do bring them home please post pigtures. We love pigtures on this forum :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
With fleece, it has to be washed and dried three times before using so the treads break down so which allows the wicking to happen which is the important part. I started out using the doggy pads and towel method myself until I found out about the denim uhaul moving pads that work great as under layers if you can find them. When it's time for a complete fleece change over, I just shake out the fleece outside and put the uhaul pads in the wash and use my second set to make up the cage.

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome if the forum.

I'm so glad you decided to adopt as this forum is pro adoption. I would check their genders yourself before leaving the rescue. You dont want to bring them home put them together and end up with babies. Just two be on the safe side, better safe than sorry.

When you do bring them home please post pigtures. We love pigtures on this forum :)

I will definitely ask the lady to show me their sexes so I can take a peek for myself! :) Definitely don't want to make that mistake!

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
With fleece, it has to be washed and dried three times before using so the treads break down so which allows the wicking to happen which is the important part. I started out using the doggy pads and towel method myself until I found out about the denim uhaul moving pads that work great as under layers if you can find them. When it's time for a complete fleece change over, I just shake out the fleece outside and put the uhaul pads in the wash and use my second set to make up the cage.

Thanks! I will definitely look into the denim Uhaul pads! Hopefully I can find them... I am so used to Bunnies, so this will be a big change. Both my Rabbits are on vinyl flooring and are 100% litter trained, haha. But hey, change is good!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.