PDA

View Full Version : 4 piggies, 1 pregnant :(

Rayna.Duncan.
03-27-14, 08:55 am
Hello everyone,
I have adopted 2 skinny pigs and 2 guinea pigs about two weeks ago.
When I brought them home I sexed them myself. They were supposed to be all female but unfortunately there is one male in there so he has to be on his own. One skinny female is for sure heavily pregnant, I can see the babies moving but her pelvic bones are still together. She weighs about 1019 grams and is extremly wide. The second skinny pig is younger and doesnt seem to be pregnant but I will have to wait to see. The youngest guinea pig is starting to get a belly and im not sure if it is because she is on better food now (i am feeding her oxbow) or because she was with a male. I am concerned for her because she was born january of this year so i think she may be a bit young. I have been reading about cavy pregnancy but im concerned for them and wish they werent so they can just enjoy their life without risks to their health.
They are in a large c&c cage with the male in a seperate cage beside them so he isn't completely alone but he is quite vocal since I took him away from the girls. I am thinking about getting him neutered or setting up another large c&c cage and keeping a male from the pregnant female.
If anyone has any advice for me I would love to hear it. I did not want to have pregnant guinea pigs and kind of stressing myself out about if they will be okay.
thank you everyone for your help

LilliAndFelix
03-27-14, 09:26 am
Well, neutering is expensive, but he will get lonely, also he will still try to mate with the females VERY often, even when they are not in heat, but if you neuter him, it should reduce the time he spends trying to mate, also, the females are definitely not defenceless, they will not let him mate them easily so I think that is the best plan, and he might not get along with another male!

Starthecavy123
03-27-14, 09:39 am
Neutering is expensive so if you can't get him to bond to a male baby that maybe your only option.

LilliAndFelix
03-27-14, 09:43 am
But see if your local shelter will let you test him out with different males!! They might!!

piggiejinx
03-27-14, 02:33 pm
I have a male/female. We thought they were both males, were wrong, and are now expecting piggie babies.

I took the male for an exam today and he will be neutered next Tuesday for $140. He should be ready to live with our female again once the babies have been weaned.

Rayna.Duncan.
03-27-14, 02:46 pm
I am getting so impatient for her to have the babies. I just keep watching them move around inside. I have no idea when she got pregnant so its just waiting for me. I have to call the vet and see how much to get him neutered

Rywen
03-27-14, 08:26 pm
There's likely to be a boy baby you can bond him with, and an adult make and a baby male will usually bond okay.

HugglesBubble
03-27-14, 08:35 pm
Aye :) If you cant afford the neuter (Which would be understandable) I would suggest getting him a male friend. as Rywen said, babies go best with a adult male, as the baby will learn off of the adult :) Keep us posted!

LilliAndFelix
03-28-14, 03:29 am
Maybe your female will have a boy, which is very likely,

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 09:42 am
Scarlett is getting so big and I feel so sorry for her. I cant believe she can get bigger than she is now. Im not sure how much longer she can carry them but I think she may have two maybe three pups in there. What do you guys think?

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 09:46 am

This is on march 29, 2014

LilliAndFelix
04-10-14, 09:47 am
Um.. Wow..

LilliAndFelix
04-10-14, 09:47 am
Omg!! That is any day now!!

LilliAndFelix
04-10-14, 09:49 am
That's three to four pups!

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 10:01 am

Here she is today! She pulled all her hay out and made a bed :)

LilliAndFelix
04-10-14, 10:16 am
Aw... I have checked the pregnancy period and it is 60-70 days long.. How long has she been pregnant now? Roughly..

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 10:26 am
I have had her for 4 weeks and 2 days and she was visibly pregnant wen I got her. I asked the lady wen she was put with the male and she said "she cant remember, its not like cats and dogs where you can count the days". She doesnt know too much about them

HugglesBubble
04-10-14, 10:57 am
Holy. Hope it goes smoothly!

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 11:26 am
Thank you, I am so worried but I know she as had two litters before so hopefully everything goes well

PiggieWigglies
04-10-14, 11:41 am
Aww this her third litter! :( Poor girl.

MamaP
04-10-14, 11:46 am
Wow. Hope she goes soon. My girl is on her 2nd litter (back to back - thanks to previous neglectful owners) and she is 8.5 weeks and nowhere near that large. She is also very young at about 6 months. Happy thoughts for a quick and uneventful delivery. Keep us posted!

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 12:03 pm
Thank you so much. I feel so bad that she has to go through this again but at least it will be her last litter because I do not think all the risks are worth breeding guinea pigs, adoption by far is the better option. She is around two years old and I have her daughter that is 8 months old I adopted from her and she had a litter after that one so I think they all were pretty close together. I just want her to have the babies so the worrying is over. Any little noise I run to the cage to make sure she is alright. She drink so much water that I have 3 large water bottles on her cage for when I leave the house and they are almost all empty when I get home at night. She eats so much hay it is crazy but she hardly moves around because her belly is so big and drags on the fleece. I just want them to come out. I am building another c&c cage for the babies and the mom that is 6 grids by 3 grids. Is this going to be large enough if she has 4 babies? Sorry for all the rambling... I'm just so nervous!

Starthecavy123
04-10-14, 12:07 pm
That is just awful. You would think after the first accidental litter they would of seperate the male (unless it wasn't an accident). Me and Zombie Queen have actually made a Facebook group for this. Hopefully we can help educate people on this. If anyone here wants to join here is the link

https://m.facebook.com/groups/262882020560885?ref=bookmark

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 12:13 pm
That is an amazing page, thank you for putting your time and knowledge into something like this so other people can educate themselves.
Her litter was not an accident, this person was breeding them and I convinced her to sell me her last four females in hope to give them a better life and for her to stop breeding. She said she was no longer interested in breeding because she wasnt making enough money so I am happy I was able to stop at least one breeder.

Starthecavy123
04-10-14, 12:16 pm
Thank you its still a work in progress. Thats great if only more people knew the dangers.

We encourage everyone to join.

HugglesBubble
04-10-14, 12:22 pm
I'll join when i get home ;)

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 12:26 pm
I joined :)

Starthecavy123
04-10-14, 12:33 pm
Thank you :)

Starthecavy123
04-10-14, 12:34 pm
I knew there was a reason I joined this forum :D

pineapplepigs
04-10-14, 12:42 pm
poor baby :(. I hope all goes well. She is a cutie!!

pineapplepigs
04-10-14, 12:45 pm
i keep refreshing this thread in hope of babies!! PUSH EM OUT PUSH EM OUT PUSH EMM OUTT (credit to whoever said this on a thread before i can remember who)

HugglesBubble
04-10-14, 12:46 pm
I joined :D keep me posted!!

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 01:00 pm
I will post pictures of the babies as soon as they are born. :)

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 01:05 pm

This is the male she was in with but there was also a male skinny pig that was in with them that I didn't bring home. I was only planning on females.

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 01:09 pm

Here is Scarlett about three weeks ago :) You can see her face in this picture

Rywen
04-10-14, 01:22 pm
Poor girl, I think she will have at least 4 babies. I hope it's today, that looks so uncomfortable!

DawnM
04-10-14, 04:07 pm
I sure hope she has them soon. Would be nice if she was bred with a skinny pig cause then you would get all skinny pig babies. I have never seen a litter of baby skinny pigs so that would be cool. If she was bred with the other male and hes not a gene carrier you will just get all regular hairy piggys!!!!!! Keep us updated!!

Rayna.Duncan.
04-10-14, 04:26 pm
Im hoping it was the skinny pig that got her pregnant , since i will be keeping a boy for duncan. Im afraid when they get here i will not want to part with them. We will see. Shes mostly just laying around and gets up for food and water.

melynda
04-10-14, 04:39 pm
Poor dear. Fingers crossed that her final delivery goes well!

gatorgirl
04-10-14, 07:52 pm
Hoping you get a male for Duncan. I think in my limited experience, that males bond fairly easily with baby males. If you do not get a male out of the litter, I would get him a buddy (bring him to the rescue with you and see who he likes) and separate the cages so they can't see each other (the girls and boys) to cut down on yearning. Maybe you could stack your cages.

Hope she delivers soon. She sure looks full-term.

gatorgirl
04-10-14, 07:53 pm
Oh, and personally, I would avoid neutering him. From these boards, I've seen too many piggies die from it. :(

pineapplepigs
04-10-14, 08:04 pm
HII how is she doing??

Rywen
04-10-14, 08:29 pm
My Ferb did just fine with being neutered, having the right experienced exotics vet makes a huge difference.

Rayna.Duncan.
04-11-14, 02:17 am
I am going to do neurtering as a last resort if he doesnt like a male. I will for sure the rescue if he doesnt like the male baby. She hasnt had the babies yet, just keeps trying to get comfortable and the babies keep kicking her and making her jump. Poor girl! I want her out of this and to be comfortable and happy!

HugglesBubble
04-11-14, 09:09 am
Crossing fingers all goes well :D

pineapplepigs
04-11-14, 05:26 pm
How is she?

spy9doc
04-11-14, 05:32 pm
I would avoid neutering him. From these boards, I've seen too many piggies die from it. :(

You may want to rethink this statement. What is your basis for saying "I've seen too many piggies dies from it"? It certainly did not come from those of us who have had our boars neutered. Be cautious about repeating incorrect or just plain bad information.

Rayna.Duncan.
04-11-14, 06:28 pm
She is sleeping a lot and only gets up to eat a little and drink lots of water.

pineapplepigs
04-11-14, 07:19 pm
So many peoples piggies are having babies im loosing count! I hope all goes smoothly and everyone is happy and healthy in the end.

petgal49
04-11-14, 08:01 pm
I have been following this forum for a while now. I feel like today is the day!

Rayna.Duncan.
04-11-14, 09:24 pm
Nothing today. Hopefully i wake up and there are little babies

Rayna.Duncan.
04-12-14, 07:21 am
Still no babies :( I am very ready for her to have these babies, she can't even get comfortable anymore! I hate the person who let her get pregnant!

piggiejinx
04-12-14, 07:51 am
Poor girl! Hopefully she will have them soon. Dusty had hers around 10 in the morning. I was seriously surprised that it happened during daylight hours.

PiggieWigglies
04-12-14, 08:07 am
Aw, I hope she delivers soon and safely!

Rayna.Duncan.
04-12-14, 11:02 am
I tried to feel her pelvic bones and i dont think they are seperated yet. I hope i checked right but i dont want to stress her too much.

Bbartlettnfld
04-12-14, 01:31 pm
My Guinea pigs safely delivered her 2 pups, 2 weeks ago. I think they were early since I gave her a small amount of pineapple the night before. They were pretty quiet for a few days and then they got much more active.

RodentCuddles
04-12-14, 03:02 pm
Poor girl! Hopefully she will have them soon. Dusty had hers around 10 in the morning. I was seriously surprised that it happened during daylight hours.

That's an interesting point!

While I would never breed guinea pigs, we get in surrendered or rescued pregnant guineas.
Martha gave birth at 11am, Jessica gave birth at 10am, Kalila gave birth at 11:15-ish am, Pumpkin Patch gave birth during the early morning hours (12am - 5am) and Darla gave birth at around 12pm.
(They all came from horrible homes, all were rescued not surrendered and none had names before coming to us)

The majority here have all given birth during the daylight hours.
Rayna.Duncan. I hope she does okay with pregnancy...out of the mums above, poor Kalila didn't make it. (But we managed to save her bubs)

Rayna.Duncan.
04-12-14, 06:11 pm
Thank you everyone for being positive for her, everyday she doesnt have them it is making me more nervous and stressed I will lose her. She has an amazing personality

piggiejinx
04-14-14, 05:47 pm
How is she today?

Rayna.Duncan.
04-14-14, 05:57 pm
Sleeping a lot today and drank a lot of water. Didnt eat as much food today though

J.Bosley
04-15-14, 06:51 pm
Rayna.Duncan. how is Mommy Pig? Any babies yet? :)

Rayna.Duncan.
04-15-14, 06:56 pm
Nothing yet, she is just sleeping now. She just ate a bunch of hay and curled up in her bed. He babies are reallu kicking her and makingg her jump

J.Bosley
04-15-14, 07:26 pm
Nothing yet, she is just sleeping now. She just ate a bunch of hay and curled up in her bed. He babies are reallu kicking her and makingg her jump

Poor girly! Hopefully she has her babies soon, can't be fun waiting...for you or her.

Rayna.Duncan.
04-16-14, 11:06 am
I have had her for 5 weeks and 2 days and i am worried that she has not had the babies yet. In a week if she has not had the babies she will be going to the vet to get checked.

Pawesomepet
04-16-14, 11:22 am
I know how you feel my girl is pregnant as well. I've had her 9 weeks and 4(?) days and still no babies I'm starting to get worried.

Bbartlettnfld
04-16-14, 02:58 pm
Try Pineapple, its linked to uterine contractions in human women, one piece should do it. I swear that is what brought on my females babies.

Rayna.Duncan.
04-16-14, 03:01 pm
I will try that tonight, thank you!

bpatters
04-16-14, 03:09 pm
Just let her be! If she's not used to eating pineapple, it could upset her digestive tract, and you don't want diarrhea mixed with pups. They'll come when they come.

Rayna.Duncan.
04-16-14, 03:11 pm
i didnt think about that, thank you for mentioning that. I didnt think about upsetting her. im just so worried

J.Bosley
04-16-14, 04:16 pm
Ohh, I hope she has her babies soon! Poor girly... she must be so uncomfortable...

Rayna.Duncan.
04-20-14, 09:10 pm
Poor scarlett gave birth to 4 dead pups about 2 hours ago. She seems okay now but is there anything i can do to help her.

bpatters
04-20-14, 09:16 pm
I'm sorry the pup were stillborn.

Just watch her to make sure she's eating/drinking/pooping normally, and that there's no excessive bleeding. Some spotting for a day or so is normal, but lots of blood is not. Also check her a couple of times a day for several days to make sure no infection sets it. You'd likely notice her not feeling well if that's the case, and she'd probably have discharge from her genital area and possibly an odor. That's not likely, but if it happens, she'll need to see a vet asap.

Rayna.Duncan.
04-21-14, 08:18 am
How do i know if that is all the babies. She still looks a litrle fat. She is eating and walking around normally

Starthecavy123
04-21-14, 08:23 am
Aww I am sorry my Bella gave birth to still borns as well. But sadly she didn't make it either. So I know how you feel sorry no advice but these other people seem to have some great ideas. Good luck with the momma again I am deeply sorry.

bpatters
04-21-14, 08:50 am
If she still looks like she could be pregnant, she needs to see a vet for a possible emergency spay.

petgal49
04-21-14, 08:51 am
I'm so sorry about your losses. Hope Mamma pig is okay.

Rywen
04-21-14, 10:14 am
That's very sad, I'm sorry the babies didn't make it. I hope Scarlett is okay!

Rayna.Duncan.
04-21-14, 10:18 am
Scarlett is doing okay, she is acting normally so far and a tiny bit of spotting this morning but nothing since

Bbartlettnfld
04-21-14, 10:22 am
Oh no :( I was hoping for a good outcome on this. So sorry, hope momma piggy pulls through ok.

piggiejinx
04-21-14, 11:11 am
I am very sorry for your losses. :(

MamaP
04-21-14, 11:49 am
I'm sorry about the babies. Glad Scarlett is doing ok.

lunarminx
04-21-14, 12:05 pm
I hope she pulls through this, wishing her luck!

Rayna.Duncan.
04-23-14, 08:39 am
Thank you everyone. She is doing okay and everything seems normal but the only thing that worries me is that she still seems pretty fat. Does anyone know if this is normal? Let me know if you need a picture

MamaP
04-23-14, 08:43 am
Post a picture if you can. My girls just had 4 babies a week ago and her appearance went back to normal pretty quickly. As far as I can tell with all her crazy hair :)

Rayna.Duncan.
04-23-14, 09:16 am

I finally got it to work

Rayna.Duncan.
04-23-14, 09:16 am
it looks like a bit of blood on her back but she just went crazy with her cherry tomato :)

MamaP
04-23-14, 09:24 am
She does look a little large still. Since you just got her you probably don't have anything to compare it to. I would take her to the vet just for peace of mind and to make sure all is ok. Please keep us updated.
Glad she loves her tomatoes :)

Rayna.Duncan.
04-23-14, 09:28 am
I though she looked larger still but I have no idea what she looked like before she was pregnant. She did give birth to four pups, im worried there might be one stuck inside still. I will have to call the vet and make her an appointment.

LilliAndFelix
07-04-14, 04:22 am
I hope it all goes ok!!

Bodhi
07-04-14, 12:19 pm
Looks like everything went okay as Rayna.Duncan did not post more about it. This thread is from April. It should be moved to the pregnancy forum.

The other guinea pig Rayna also gave birth.

maddy harper
07-05-14, 07:52 am
hello and welcome