Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

This Really Made Me Mad!!!

Cavy_Guy

Cavy Slave
I was at Wal-Mart the other day trying to find some cubes. I came upon this lady who worked there and asked her where they were she said she didn’t know but she would help me look. So she asked me what they were for and I explained how it was for a guinea pig cage. She said ohhh guinea pigs I have a story about guinea pigs. She told me that she had a friend in Washington who had a son. This kid’s teacher had had 2 Guinea Pigs for class pets at the beginning of the year. It was then the end of the year and the teacher didn’t want them anymore because she now had 300 GUNEA PIGS in the class room because they weren’t neutered or spaed(sp?). So the teacher asked the kids if any one wanted the pigs. The kid went home that day to ask his mom if they could have them she said yes. So they built a big pen in the back yard where she let them all go. A year later the pet police (whatever they are called) had to come take all of her guinea pigs because she had ended up with 500 guinea pigs that she was breeding in her back yard! THAT JUST REALLY MADE ME MAD!

Odella

Cavy Slave
GRRRRR... stupid people! Would it have killed them to have the boys nutered from the start?

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
300 guinea pigs in a classroom sounds like a bit of an exaggeration...

Access

Cavy Slave
daftscotslass said:
No... it's exponential growth, left unchecked and uncontrolled any animal population will do this.

If you assume 75/25 f/m ratio, a 2 month gestation period, and an average litter size of 4, a rough calculation would be:

1st generation: 1 female, 1 male

2nd generation: (original) 1 female, 1 male (new) 3 female, 1 male

3rd generation: (original) 4 female, 2 male (new) 12 female, 4 male

4th generation: (original) 16 female, 6 male (new) 48 female, 12 male

5th generation: (original) 60 female, 18 male (new) 180 female, 60 male

After 5 generations: (original) 240 female, 78 male = 318 pigs total.

So 300 sounds about right, in reality there will be some degradation of these numbers since they do not factor in fatalities due to childbirth, lack of care or improper care, starvation and dehydration, etc.

Binas Cavys

Cavy Slave
THATS TERRIABlE:eek: !! Well I am happy that the animal cops took those pigs away from that horrible home! Ok, maybe not horrible(you never know:confused: ) but if I was a parent(I am still a teen) I whold not in a million years let my child have 300 guinea pigs:eek: ! Increadible!

-Bina

ilovemykisses

Cavy Slave
500 piggies? In one pen? That sounds horrible. She could've at least put the females in another pen if she didn't want to neuter. Goodness... *shakes head*

thecalders

Cavy Slave
daftscotslass said:

I agree, not that the piggies could not produce to that number, but how could a classroom environment support 300 piggies? Where would they all be housed? It just does not make sense. I would hope the teacher would put a stop to it at SOME point, or at least the parents would complain, I could not imagine walking into my childs classroom to be confronted with HUNDREDS of pigs. Imagine the possible odour and health issues? where would the principle be? the school superintendant? Honestly I just can't wrap my head around it. Perhaps it is true, I cannot call it down since I don't have first hand or even second hand information, but it just does not sound possible:eek: I certainly hope it isn't.

Perhaps it was 30 pigs at the end of the year? The 300 is a typo or an exageration along the way? 30 pigs is still pretty terrible, but I could possibly see that happening, and then the 30 pigs where taken in and THEY turned into 500? The whole thing seems more plausible....

Out of 300 pigs in the classroom think of the fighting, the loss of life from traumatic pregnancies, I would think you could have some children that are a little sensitive ending up just about hystarical if this is at all true. Definately not a positive experiance for anyone, and how could parents or authorities not know?

Just my two cents... Again, I don't know because I was not there... Just seems like an increadibly horrible story, no matter if it was 30 or 300 or 500... Just disgusting across the board.:yuck:

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
That is so messed up! I hate when people do not take care of their animals!

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
:O That's almost creepy...500 pigs in ONE pen...

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Maybe the teacher took the surplus pigs home and the teacher had the 300 pigs. That sounds possible. Especially if she had them in her yard out in the boon docks.

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Was the teacher and the mom totally brainless or something? What is wrong with people?

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
I am not going to believe 300 and 500. I think it is possible to have maybe 3 in a classroom, or 5. But, with all the animal activist out there. I highly doubt that 300 pigs, even 30, would be sitting in a classroom for even a minute (not to mention other staff at the school abjecting!). Come on, dont beleive everything you hear! That was a wopper-story for sure!

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Mmm... It is possible.
My neighbours (They make me SO angry), when their second guinea pig died (free range... It fell in a trench.), they got a MALE and a FEMALE NOT KNOWING WHAT WOULD HAPPEN! They said
"Yeah, but we want babies! They aren't that big a job!"
You know how many they have after one year? Well - Oh, this is not including the few they sold and the four they gave to me - 20 (They had another litter last week)! You should see this poor mother popping out babies!

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
I agree with funnygpigs. Terrible if true, to be sure, but I'm more inclined to think someone there likes to tell tall tales.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Wow... that's cruel... It's Literal "Backyard" breeding.

DaisyGP

Cavy Slave
You know what. All of this sounds fishy to me. I believe parts of this story are true but others just are not believable. 500 guinea pig in someones backyard? 300 guinea pigs in a class room? No, I don't believe it. School administration wouldn't allow something so cruel or costly. That's not even mentioning the fact that fiting 300 guinea pig into one class room where somewhere around 20-30 childern must learn is even possible. All of this sounds like a classic game of phone. Where someone tells one person a story and that person tells another person. Each time it goes to someone new the story gets more and more away from the original story line. No one keeps 300 guinea pigs in one class room and gets away with it.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Talk about backyard breeding. When my daughter-in-law, was a little girl, her neighbor had GP.s in the backyard running free. They bred and there were quite a few. She was about 9 at the time. She went in the backyard and the pigs charged her (that is her memory of the situation.) It frightened her so bad to this day she is terrified of GP.s. My granddaughter wants one but my daughter-in-law is still frightened of them. I am trying to educate her with my 5. Neglect is a terrible thing of any animal. Education is the key.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.