PDA

View Full Version : Is coroplast slippery?

naturestee
09-19-05, 01:03 pm
I'm interested in making a cage for two of my rabbits. I'm currently dealing with the slippery floor in the XL dog crate my other two are living in, and I don't want to have to deal with this in the cage for the two new girls.

So that brings me to the title question: how slippery is coroplast? Have any of you had rabbits (or piggies) that had problems slipping on it? What would good alternatives be?

Any alternatives would need to be easy to clean. These two girls are not yet spayed, never saw a litter box before last week, and were neglected in their previous home. This caused health problems including constant soft poops which may take a long time to clear up.

Thanks!

zakfoxmom
09-19-05, 01:40 pm
I have a rabbit and the bottom of her cage is coroplast and I don't really notice her slipping. Her second level is has linoleum on it. She also has a cushy chair, grass mat, and some blankets.

She is litter trained and I put newspaper under her litter box.

amyjane
09-19-05, 01:41 pm
My guinea pig finds the coroplast to be slippery, but not sure about rabbits.

naturestee
09-19-05, 01:55 pm
Is the linoleum less slippery or more? That might not be a bad substitute.

cavy-cool-crazy
09-19-05, 03:04 pm
My pigs slip badly on straight coroplast. With bedding on it there should be no problems. Linoleum is slightly less slippery than coroplast and is a good substitute.

Piglet
09-19-05, 03:21 pm
Yes, I was thinking that won't you cover the coroplast with bedding? That way it won't be slippery at all :)

zakfoxmom
09-19-05, 03:57 pm
Is the linoleum less slippery or more? That might not be a bad substitute.

What I got is less slippery because is has the little ridges in it for the design. You could also do an all coroplast bottom and put linoleum on part of it.

naturestee
09-19-05, 07:49 pm
Yes, I was thinking that won't you cover the coroplast with bedding? That way it won't be slippery at all :)

Nope, my buns don't like bedding too much. They would rather push it out and make a giant mess, then lay down on the bare floor. It's really common.

Hello, Zacfoxmom! What are you using- was it a printed/used sign board? How would I find something like that?

Tatalp
09-20-05, 04:37 am
My pigs can wlak fine on bare coroplast. It's so funny to hear their little feet go flip-flop on it!

zakfoxmom
09-20-05, 06:04 am
I bought the coroplast from a plastics company and I got the linoleum at Home Depot. You can get the linoleum in single squares and I bought like 4 squares and cut them to fit.

Lisser
09-20-05, 09:43 am
I bought the coroplast from a plastics company and I got the linoleum at Home Depot. You can get the linoleum in single squares and I bought like 4 squares and cut them to fit.

Zakfoxmom...I'm thinking about trying some linoleum squares. Have you ever tried fleece? I doubt I'd do linoleum in the whole cage bc I want the piggies to have some soft cushy fleece too. It would make vacuuming the poops up so much easier. The fleece gets sucked up in the shop vac pretty easy. So I'm thinking of half linoleum and half fleece? What are your thoughts on this?

zakfoxmom
09-20-05, 09:52 am
I've read a lot about fleece on this forum and have not tried it yet. I am a bit leary just because I think they will pee and poop all over it. I had put a town in once and they used it as their toilet. I might try it and buy a piece of fleece this weekend. It does seem quite popular.

Lisser
09-20-05, 10:36 am
I've read a lot about fleece on this forum and have not tried it yet. I am a bit leary just because I think they will pee and poop all over it. I had put a town in once and they used it as their toilet. I might try it and buy a piece of fleece this weekend. It does seem quite popular.

Yes they do seem to like cooshy things to poop and pee on!! Spoiled buggers! I think I'm going to try the linoleum squares this weekend. What I'd like to know is what you use to keep the linoleum tiles stuck down. I still want my coroplast down of course, but do I need to secure the tiles to the coroplast somehow?

zakfoxmom
09-20-05, 10:40 am
What I'd like to know is what you use to keep the linoleum tiles stuck down. I still want my coroplast down of course, but do I need to secure the tiles to the coroplast somehow?

The ones that I bought had a sticky back and all you do is peel the paper off the back. I used the linoleum for the loft, which actually is now in my rabbit cage when it was supposed to be in the piggie cage. Long story, here's the short version, I'm Lazy.

Anyway, I took a piece of wood and cut it to fit the loft then I cut the linoleum to fit and put it on top of the wood. It sticks pretty good. My husband offered to glue it but its ok. I would assume that it will stick to coroplast as well. The linoleum I bought cost about $1.50 per square and there were a few different prints available. I used 3 squares. I had the two and then cut the 3rd to make it all fit together.

Lisser
09-21-05, 10:39 am
The ones that I bought had a sticky back and all you do is peel the paper off the back. I used the linoleum for the loft, which actually is now in my rabbit cage when it was supposed to be in the piggie cage. Long story, here's the short version, I'm Lazy.

Anyway, I took a piece of wood and cut it to fit the loft then I cut the linoleum to fit and put it on top of the wood. It sticks pretty good. My husband offered to glue it but its ok. I would assume that it will stick to coroplast as well. The linoleum I bought cost about $1.50 per square and there were a few different prints available. I used 3 squares. I had the two and then cut the 3rd to make it all fit together.

I like this idea a lot. Thanks for the suggestions and tips. I'd love to switch to mostly linoleum in my cage bc it would be so much easier to vacuum poops. I hate the thought of them not having their soft fleece in the cage though.

Percy's Mom
09-21-05, 02:44 pm
You're not putting anything on top of the linoleum tiles? I would think that would be cold and horribly uncomfortable.