Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Me and My Piggies

jesdar16

Cavy Slave
I'm a new piggy owner with a young boar, named Fluffy Tod (Tod was my brother's part of the name) and I believe he is the cutest thing on earth. We have a 2x4 grid C&C cage located in my room, complete with Carefresh bedding and several hidey houses. He has timothy hay, basic pellets, tap water from a drip bottle, and he himself is brown with lighter spots on either side and a white spot on his neck. I chop a normal-sized carrot in thirds and give him one third per day, along with either chicory leaves or esceroll (Can't remember spelling) and every Monday and Thursday I give him a slice of fruit. We are going to see if he likes yellow bell peppers. His current fruit is a slice of apple but I plan on adding more variety to his diet. I want to make sure I am doing enough, not enough, or too much. Please reply.

P.S I try to give him plenty of floor time but It is hard to fit in my schedule)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum.

If he is younger than 6 months you should feed him alfalfa hay. Then when he's older than 6 months give him timothy hay. You should probably consider getting him a friend. Especially if you have a busy schedule that way he won't be so lonely.

But make sure you research introductions don't just plop a new pig in the cage. You will also need to do a quarentine period for 21 days at least.

jesdar16

Cavy Slave
He was injured when my brother accidentally dropped him, and he temporarily lost use of his hind legs, so getting another boar isn't an option at the moment, however much I want it to be.

I have an old starter cage that I can use for the new piggy for a few weeks (Even though I don't want to use it) and I'll use that for a quarantine period.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Ooh yea you probably want to wait a while. You may even want to take him to a cavy savy vet to make sure his leg(s) isn't broke.

jesdar16

Cavy Slave
My mom is always calling the vet to see when we can wean him from his meds. His legs/spine are not broken because his legs are moving almost normally. He is definately showing signs of improvement.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! He needs Timothy or Orchard or bluegrass hay all the time, if he's young and you give him alfalfa hay that should just be a supplement to the Timothy hay. You can also use alfalfa pellets instead of Timothy pellets and skip the alfalfa hay. If you're giving him about 1 cup of fresh veggies a day that's the right amount. Green or red leaf lettuce are good, as are cilantro, cherry tomatoes, endive, cucumber and sweet potato (in small quantity).

jesdar16

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the feedback! lol

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Also you don't 'need' alfalfa anything at all, what you need is a source of extra calcium. Alfalfa hay or pellets is one if those ways but feeding him one or two stalks of parsley will do the same thing. :)

All ages of guinea pigs need an unlimited supply of long strand hay. (Timothy, blue grass, or orchard) Timothy is the most popular. I get mine in bulk from KMS hayloft online as they are the best choice for hay and pellets. I get the third cut because its the softest and greenest and that's what my girls like best.

He needs lettuce and bell peppers everyday along with variety here and there. Totaling in a cup of veggies per day. Most people do half a cup in the morning and half a cup in the evening. I recommend red or green leaf lettuce as the everyday lettuce, or both.

The bigger the cage the less floor time they need. A 2x4 for a single young pig is a lot of room to run around so not getting a lot of floor time is just fine. :)

Since he is in the process of healing, get some Vitamin C Tablets. (Oxbow Daily C, you can get it at any pet store.) Give him one a day as well as bell peppers.

jesdar16

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I am currently giving him a Vit. C supplement on his carrot, which he eats like there's nothing there, and my mother confirmed that we've had him over 6 months now so I feel better about giving him Timothy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.