PDA

View Full Version : cats in pictures make me MAD!

Da_3_mad_pigs
09-17-05, 03:01 am
Why the hell do people have there cats in there piggies cages when they are taking a photo of it:mad: ?? I mean, sure you think that your cat isnt going to harm your piggies, but say if you took your eyes oif them for a couple of seconds then they could go for them. Not because your cat is horrble, mabey because he thinks he is just playing, but he could kill them in a short period of time, before you could even get there to stop him,so, why do you do it??:confused: >(

daftscotslass
09-17-05, 03:51 am
I agree. I know people will say that their cat loves their guinea pig to pieces etc, but instinct is instinct. If you are going to have a cat and a cavy in the same house, either the cage must have a roof of some sort, or the cat should not be allowed in the same room. It doesn't matter how friendly the cat is, it is a predator and the guinea pig is prey.

ErdTirdMans
09-17-05, 03:51 am
Even though she seems apathetic towards piggies, I would never let my cat climb over their cage or pen walls. The only times she'll meet the girls are when they're on my lap. I want her to know they exist so if some negligence on my part lets them sneak away or my cat near them, she won't immediately want to pummel the poor guineas, but they'll be by no means good buddies.

Da_3_mad_pigs
09-17-05, 03:54 am
I have two cats and I wont let them near the pigs when they are out JUST INCASE they attack them, you never know!

Slap Maxwell
09-17-05, 06:49 am
I've had one of my cats around my pigs. She is terrified to death and just runs away. I don't like when people insist they "play" but most people know their cats well enough.

laura220
09-17-05, 07:30 am
I know my cats wouldn't attack. Of course I don't let them play and sleep together but I don't mind the cats being in my room while Ginny's in her open cage or out for floortime. I've even left them alone together for 5 minutes but that was cause I had to get away urgently, nothing happened.

Trixie
09-17-05, 07:41 am
I have my pigies in an open cage. I also have 2 cats. Neither of my cats care for the pigs. They didn't care when I brought them home. They still don't care now. I have no worries. And yes I have a picture of my cat in the floor time pen. One of the piggies was in a bag and Popcorn( the cat) thought they were put up, so she came out of hiding and was headed to the kitchern. Well the pen takes up the path to the kitchen so she had to jump in. Well the piggie moved (from inside the bag) and Popcorn froze. Snap. Got the picture. She turned and ran the other way. Didn't see her for another hour.

Rachy1412
09-17-05, 08:00 am
I too have a cat and an open cage. My cat is scared of them, he won't go near them. He got close to one of my piggies face before and he got bitten, since then he keeps his distance. I don't see anything wrong with taking a picture of cats and pigs together, aslong as their not left on their own together I see no problem. It's the same as my rabbits. My rabbit adores the cat, they play together and sleep together. Now I wouldn't leave them alone as my cat is rather large (about 12kg) but he knows that he cannot harm them. Cats are not stupid they know what they can and cannot do.

Not to mention the fact that my cat sleeps all day and then goes outside at night. He only goes after things with tails. Domestic cats tend to play with their prey before they kill them. There was a mouse in my shed once and the cat got hold of him. I managed to get the mouse out of his mouth with no problems, then I let the mouse go in the field across the road.

Funnygpigs
09-17-05, 10:04 am
I personaly think that a cat is a cat! He has instinct to catch and kill small prey. If someone wants to risk their pig getting killed/injured, well that is very sad indeed!

JiggityJig
09-17-05, 10:04 am
I believe people who say that their cats couldn't care less, and wouldn't bother the pigs, because I don't believe mine would either. He's more scared of them than they are of him! :P In general, I think most cats know what they're capable of "taking on"--mine won't even attack a spider that he thinks is too big. (Obviously there are cats that are more aggressive hunters than some.)

When I built my cage, I wasn't sure how the cat would adjust to the pigs, and so I made it *extremely* secure and catproof. And while I'm glad I did, and wouldn't suggest otherwise to anyone...honestly, if it was completely open, I don't think the cat would ever enter it.

At first, he liked to lie on the back of the sofa, staring at the cage ("watching guinea pig TV", I liked to call it! :D), until he fell asleep. Now he's bored with even that. The only time he's ever put his paw in the cage is when he wants some of the fresh grass I put in for them!

In the beginning, I'd never leave the pigs out on the floor with the cat in the room. Now, while I wouldn't leave them alone for hours or anything, I think nothing of a trip to the kitchen and back or something. That may seem controversial to some, but I do believe that people know their pets and can gauge their moods, etc.

But I do also agree with the "you never know" sentiment. They ARE animals, afterall, with sometimes uncontrollable instincts and reactions. So I don't think you should get complacent, or take for granted that they will always "get along".

Sabriel
09-17-05, 10:07 am
I allow my cats to interact with the pigs when I am home. The cage has a lid, but I leave it open when I am home. Instinct or not, I know my cats and the cats know the pigs are mine therefor not food.

One of my cats is older and lazy. She usually doesn't play with the pigs. She just watches then through the grids and is happy with that. The other is younger and likes the pigs. She grooms them and sleeps in their cage. I know she will not hurt them. They have climbed on her, pulled her fur and bit her and she has not lifted a paw to stop them. If she doesn't like what they are doing, she leaves.

The cage is also in the way of the best sunning window (there is a dark curtain for the piggies but she sits on the window side of the curtain). She has to walk through it to get there. I would rather she peacefully walk through the cage then try to walk on the lid and hurt herself. My bigger kitty has decided the ledge is too much work fpor her and suns on the bed.

My cats have never lived outdoors and with the exception of bugs, have never hunted anything. One is very lazy and slow and the other is one of the best trained cats I have ever had. She does tricks and she knows the rules around here very well. I trust her with my pigs.

Cats are very clever. They are not the dumb instinct driven creatures you think they are. There is a reason we can't train them to do manual labour.

Rachy1412
09-17-05, 11:32 am
Cats are very clever. They are not the dumb instinct driven creatures you think they are. There is a reason we can't train them to do manual labour.

I couldn't agree with you more! My cat has learnt that they are apart of the family and not food.

Sabriel
09-17-05, 11:45 am
Ukyou, the little one has learned the sound my husband's feet make when he walks up the steps. If somebody else walks up the stairs to our floor she keeps sleeping, but when my husband comes home she's right at the door waiting for him.

John4216
09-17-05, 12:09 pm
Not just cats but dogs also. And while it may be true that some cats/dogs do not harm the piggies, I personally feel it it irresponsible behavior on the persons part to to the risk. Taking the risk that they might not is wrong. Why?? Well lets say my piggies are out and I leave the room with my dog in there. Now she has never before hurt them but if she does well then I can't go back and undo it. Plus with the piggies being a PREY animal they often do not find it comfortable having a predator with them.

I know my dog probably would not hurt them and I even have one pig that walks up to the cage on the bedroom door (they have their own bedroom) and looks at the dog and isnt scared, but, I still would never take the chance because IF something happens it can not be undone.

Here is a good example of how something might happen at my house:

My dog (a german sheppard) knows the pigs are part of the family and only has a passing interest in them. Now if I decided to let her in the room with them while I was cleaning their cage she would probably just nose them and lay down. However, when one of them spooked and scurried away her natural instinct MIGHT kick in and she just chase it and catch it. (Just the chasing would be stressful enough). How do I know this? Simple...run from your dog and its natural for them to chase.

So why take the chance? People take the chance for many reasons, but none of the reasons are for the right reason. What is the right reason?? The right reason is always "What is in the best interest of the piggies".

Sabriel
09-17-05, 12:14 pm
My pigs enjoy their time with the cat. They approach the cat and play with her. Kero who lives by himself right now especially enjoys playing with his kitty. He popcorns when I ask him where his kitty is.

So maybe your animals aren't ok around your pigs, but my cats are. They have no intrest in hunting (except flies.) Heck the fish are sitting ducks and my cats doen't even try to eat them, they just try to drink the water they think is fresher.

My pigs have done more harm to my cats then vice versa. I don't see anything wrong with supervised play if my cats are up to having thier tails nibbled on and my boar trying to mount them.

John4216
09-17-05, 01:03 pm
And if you read my post I said the "risk" of doing so and especially unattended. Your cats and piggies very well may get along just fine. Heck there are cases of rabbits being raised as puppies by dogs and things like that.

Sabriel
09-17-05, 01:39 pm
Leaving the house is risky. Lots of things involve risks. But I feel that when I am home and in the same room there is very little risk. You imply that anyone who leaves their pigs with any cats are bad owners taking needless risks.

You also state that having a cat around would make the pigs nervous. I have not seen that with my herd. They are curious and playful around the cats.

I wouldn't leave the house with the cage open, but I will go to the kitchen and make myself a cup of tea with the cage open. And I won't limit interaction as long as both animals enjoy it. It's not like I'm housing them all in the same cage.

Rachy1412
09-17-05, 02:30 pm
Everything in life is risky, but you don't just sit in your house all day just incase. There was a newspaper article last month where a small child was killed by the pet dog. Now it is risky keeping animals with small child too, but you don't stop having pets do you?

John4216
09-17-05, 02:50 pm
Ok there is risk in everything. Rationalizations like that do not change the fact. Leaving GP's alone with an animal that is a predator is a "needless" risk. Supervised is one thing. Even then though the question comes down to why ?? Is it in the GP's best interest or is it for the humans benefit?. In General, please note the word General, it is a bad idea to mix prey animals with predators. Its that simple. That does not mean that every person that has GP's friendly with the other pets is a bad owner.

Sabriel
09-17-05, 03:06 pm
In my case I find that it does inhance my gp's life. Especially that of my currently single boar. We are in the process of adopting my a gp buddy but for now I think he quite enjoys his time with "his" kitty.

I couldn't care less if they likes thier time together and if they didn't want to see each other that would be fine too, but since he enjoys it I won't take it away from him.

I think it's also a question of how domesticated your cat is. My cats are really bad hunters. They don't enjoy hunting type toys and the only things that interest them are flying things. My cat's primary intent when she enters the cage is to sleep on the fleece or the super pet chair. That's probably why she gets climbed on so often. She is fast a sleep when they start playing with her tail.

Slap Maxwell
09-17-05, 03:09 pm
I know how Sabriel's cats interact with her pigs. It's in a safe environment and it is enriching both for the pigs and the cats.

I have one pig who is frightened of the cats, and another one who is very curious of them. The rest don't care much.

happie gurl
09-17-05, 04:09 pm
origonaly posted by- Ilovemypiggies:
Why the hell do people have there cats in there piggies cages when they are taking a photo of it:mad: ?? I mean, sure you think that your cat isnt going to harm your piggies, but say if you took your eyes oif them for a couple of seconds then they could go for them. Not because your cat is horrble, mabey because he thinks he is just playing, but he could kill them in a short period of time, before you could even get there to stop him,so, why do you do it??:confused: >(

Why would you start a thred like this in the first place? Its completly bias! I mean, I have a cat too, and she could care less about my pigs. Do you even have a cat Ilovemypiggies? If you don't, then you wouldnt understand. I know my cat and other pets and my pigs inside and out.
Like...don't you trust your gps not to bite you? If somone told you that you should never hold them because they will bite you, would you listen to them? why not? Is it cause...you know your gp will not do it?! Well, same with our cats!

JiggityJig
09-17-05, 05:21 pm
If I didn't have a cat, I would probably also be very skeptical of their ability to coexist happily (or, apathetically!) with something so rodent-like. But the fact is, ALL animals have different personalities and temperaments. Some people have cats who actually like to cuddle with the pigs, etc. That will never be my cat. But as his owner, I can tell he knows that they are fellow members of the family.

I got a better one for you. Our cat IS a great mouser (and we do get field mice as we live in an old house, near fields of grain). He will wait at a "entry" spot for hours, and you'll hear a huge racket as he pounces on them. But we have PET mice that he fully accepts as "pets". Again, do I trust him completely? No, I stay on my guard, instincts being instincts, and outside chances being outside chances. But he'll sit right next to us, just relaxed and watching, when we handle the mouse. And once when the mouse got loose in the house for a period of time, he never chased it.

JiggityJig
09-17-05, 05:41 pm
Leaving GP's alone with an animal that is a predator is a "needless" risk. Supervised is one thing. Even then though the question comes down to why ?? Is it in the GP's best interest or is it for the humans benefit?. In General, please note the word General, it is a bad idea to mix prey animals with predators. Its that simple.

Actually, yes, supervised interaction IS to the pig's best interest.

When we first got a pig, the cat *was* very jumpy and suspicious around it. He would watch it like a vulture, and my son's joke was that the cat was thinking, "One of these days, rat....one of these days". :D

But after being allowed to sniff it, and explore approaching it on his own (in a monitored situation), he quickly realized it wasn't a foe, or even that interesting, and now largely ignores it. Or, avoids "that pesky rat that thinks we should be friends".

We recently acquired a full grown lab, and the first time she saw the pig (out eating grass in its pen) she was so excited and avid about "getting to it" that we had to chain her up. No surprise there, labs being bred for hunting.

But now that she's had time to sniff their cage and go nose to nose with them....smell them while we're holding them....and watch them running around during floor time...she too now realizes that they are fellow pets.

Do I still make sure she keeps her distance, and closely watch her demeanor regarding them?! YES! She could eat them in one big chomp! But by exposing them to one another, I took away the "mystery" of "that little scurrying creature", and I feel much more comfortable having them in the house together.

Again, some cats and dogs are more aggressive (or persistant, or hungry!) than others, and no one should take their interactions for granted. But in my case, I KNOW that my cat and my dog would be more curious about the pigs if we made a big deal out of keeping them apart...and that they would be much more likely, in that case, TO attack the pigs if they ever accidentally got the chance.

Your point is, accidents happen. They certainly do. We've seen plenty of sad posts about dogs who break into closed bedrooms, and then break into secure cages, and kill pigs. Those poor owners, knowing the animals around them as they did, did everything to keep them apart, and still accidents happened.

In my case, with my particular animals, it is not possible (or necessary!) to keep them entirely separated. So, just in case my cage door ever does pop open...or the kids ever do absent-mindedly leave the pigs unsupervised....I'm much more comfortable knowing that my animals have been exposed to each other, and are not dying with curiosity to get at each other.

John4216
09-17-05, 05:42 pm
Why would you start a thred like this in the first place? Its completly bias! I mean, I have a cat too, and she could care less about my pigs. Do you even have a cat Ilovemypiggies? If you don't, then you wouldnt understand. I know my cat and other pets and my pigs inside and out.
Like...don't you trust your gps not to bite you? If somone told you that you should never hold them because they will bite you, would you listen to them? why not? Is it cause...you know your gp will not do it?! Well, same with our cats!

He still has a point though he could have expressed a little nicer. Your cat NOW may know it but at some point you had to tack a chance and introduce them and see what would happen. So I ask again WHY do you let them mix and more importantly WHY did you take the risk the first time?? Now Sabriel has a case that currently they are buddies so thats fine as far as it goes.

And its no more bias than people saying never mix a rabbit and a GP. Also pictures of a cat with a GP can give the wrong impression to some new owners. Do you want to be the person who said its fine and posted the picture only to find out that someone listened to you and let their cat/dog in with the GP's and something bad happens? So until someone can say WHY to do it in the first place he has a valid point.

Sabriel
09-17-05, 06:03 pm
I think you really have to know your pets. I had my youngest cat for two years before we got our pigs. I knew their temperments. I also didn't plop my cat in with the pigs and walk away. I started with supervised lap time, then very supervised floor time (I sat in the pen with everybody) then to not as supervised floor time (pen next to the bed, my husband and I watching TV on the bed) and this month I've moved up to being able to leave the cage open most of the time.

I also don't force it on any of my animals. Shampoo doesn't interact with the pigs as much, fine old dame she is, and I leave it at that.

I do think the best thing had to be when all four (at the time I only had my two girls) were sitting in a circle girls on one side of the grids, cats on the other. It was like there were having a confrence. I wish I had my camera handy.

There is a big difference between cats and rabbits. I don't advocate letting them live together for one. I don't put cat food in the cage with them. I also find the attitude when they are together different. Rabbits tend to treat them as peers, as strong as them. My cats treat them like kittens. They are as tender with them as very young babies. Cats also tend not to get the same illnesses as rabbits.

I still think there is a case for cat/cavy interaction here. It is very good for pigs like Lina who since she has never been with another piggie fears them. But she's seen cats before and is relaxed around them. I am working on her fear of other pigs, but she enjoys the company of the cat once and a while. Just like she enjoys her time with me more then she enjoys time with the other pigs.

John4216
09-17-05, 06:52 pm
I still wonder WHY anyone would want to mix their pets in the first place. Regardless of knowing your pets, it is still a risk or else the supervision would not be needed at first. And you are correct, rabbits are not a predator. I am not saying it does not work well for you or a few others. What I am saying is that it is for the Human that the pets are usually introduced like this. A predator and a prey species being introduced to start with is a risky thing. There is not one person who can honestly say that when they introduced their GP and their cat/dog that they were not at least a little concerned that something might happen. If someone says that then they are deluding themselves.

The proper companion for a GP is another GP. Mixing a GP with a animal that is a predator is, at least initially, risking the GP suffering stress, harm, or death. So I again ask why would someone, initially at least, risk their GP suffering this on the hope that their cat/dog will not hurt them?? That I think is the point that is being overlooked. It may be fine now after the fact but it was not fine intially.

Sabriel
09-17-05, 07:04 pm
I don't use the cat as a full time companion. Lina is in with other pigs and I am getting a buddy for Kero next week. Honestly I didnt worry about what the cats would do to the pigs I was more worried about how the pigs would react to the cats. And I was right, just as they do to thier companions my pigs bite cats. If anyone has been abused here it's the cats!

I faced more trepidation and troubles introducing pigs to other pigs then I did the pigs and the cats.

Do you even have a cat? Have you seen how lazy these creatures truly are? I left the cage open while I was home all morning, they didn't even bother going in today.

I wouldn't call my cats preditors. I would call them lazy fluffballs who happen to have sharp teeth. I think you are basing this too much on dogs who actually still serve the purpose they were domesticated for. We no longer breed cats to chase mice. It's too messy and more often then not they just play with the mouse and let it go. Traps, humane or not, do a much better job then a cat these days.

John4216
09-17-05, 07:15 pm
I currently do not own a cat but have had many cats throughout my life as well as many dogs. And yes there are some of the cats I had that would not chase a mouse if it was smothered in cat food even :) Even with that said, it does not change the fact that Cats and Dogs are predators (btw My German Sheppard probably would not hurt them either) and taking the Initial risk of putting them together is not in the best interest, or any interest, of the GP but rather for the human owners.

Sabriel
09-17-05, 07:23 pm
So you are telling me that I should take away something that my pigs enjoy? That I should have never given them that enjoyment in the first place? That I should have kept the pigs high on a table so that my cats could not see them so if they did get out they would be very curious and maybe freaked out? I think it is of interest to have them interact. Call it mental stimualtion. Something different then the pigloos and other gps they see every day.

Though this is not my cat or guinea pig this is very typical of what my cats and pigs do (but not on a couch, though it is funnier on a couch): http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=tmzMe3cvpeo

Note that in the video that cat could care less.

So I should deprive my pigs of the fun that is "Chase that tail"? I'd sooner take away their pigloos.

John4216
09-17-05, 07:33 pm
Ok you obviously did not read my posts and are taking this personally. The word initially is what I am using. Do I believe you should not have run the risk (the first time you put them together) of your cat treating your GP like a mouse and playing with it (to use your words)...yes. It is not possible to know for certain how a cat would react. In your case it was fine and is fine. But what would you have done if your cat had bit one?? I have seen a cat attack a ferret while they were being introduced and held. It was faster than the owner of the 2 animals could react. So your basically saying it was worth the risk of stress, injury or death to find out that they would get along.

As for now, my opinion is that if your cat and GP's play and enjoy each other and they are supervised then there is not a problem. But I have yet to see anyone explain WHY they introduced them and took the risk of stress, injury or death the FIRST time and why it is worth it??

It appears to me you care deeply for all your pets and I suspect you take great care even when your GP and cats are together and thats a great thing so for you it is probably safe though not the first time. Most people are not so careful however and seeing pictures of these animals mixed can lead to the impression that it is cute and safe to allow them to mix without such safeguards as you do for yours. I am not saying to take it away or that your a bad owner. Its like saying buying a GP from a petstore is a bad thing. It does not mean that people who already bought them are bad owners.

John4216
09-17-05, 07:37 pm
As a side note, the video is cute but....it would only take a split second and that cat could turn and seriouly hurt or kill that GP without meaning to. I know most of my cats would turn and swat or bite if they got "nipped" and were shocked by it or it hurt. Odds are it probably wont happen but it could easily.

Sabriel
09-17-05, 07:45 pm
The thing that bugs me is that you keep saying why take the risk and I keep giving you my answer: mental stimulation. My pigs hate floor time. Sakura and Tomoyo shove thier fat behinds into a pigloo and don't leave till I pick them up. With Lina they have gotten a bit better, but leaving the pigloo to harass her is not much better in my book. So I had to get creative with in the mental stimulation dept.

Another one of my resons is that my husband wanted the pigs to be part of our family. He feels the cats are like our children. Everybody should at least meet everybody. Things go along smoother then.

I think it helps that we give our cats alot of mental stimulation too. They have a 5' cat tree to tire themselves out with. Ukyou usually passes out in a cage after clawing the daylights out of the post.

There are lots of reasons to create a cat and guine pig friendly utopia. I doubt I am the only one to yearn for such a thing.

BTW: My cats gets into everything wheater I want them too or not. I opened the closet for 5 seconds about 20 minutes ago to get a sweater. I just had to let a cat out of the closet.

Edit: I've watched the pigs bite the cat's tail plenty of times with no retaliation. The pigs are very interested in tails. Cats also have a bit less feeling in a tail as it is mostly hair and bone with a bit of skin holding it together. I've seen cats with objects on their tails that don't notice till they try to move it. I actualy doubt the cat would bite the pig over a tail nip.

Haven't you seen cats playing with kittens? They bait the kitten with their tails and watch them go nuts. My cats do it occasionally, but not so much anymore as they are getting older. That cat knew what it was doing. It was playing.

John4216
09-17-05, 07:56 pm
Ok you answered the question nicely. It was not done for the GP's benefit mostly but for the humans. And on this we have to agree to disagree :) I do not want to take the risk of one of my GP's being hurt or killed simply for mental stimulation. That is talking about the first meeting. As I said I am not talking about you personally or your current setup with your GP's. I am saying when it was first done. I just find that I have yet to hear a valid reason why its worth risking harm or death to a GP to allow them to mix the First time. Honestly I do not think that there is one. If there is I would like to hear it.

I think that allowing my cat/dog to meet my GP is worth the risk of harm or death to my GP because ______________.

I know how the feeling is about floor time. My 6 GP's would never do much at all during it. Now they have their own entire bedroom and funny thing is, they mainly stay in their cage and come out and play/explore the rest fo the room a few times a day and then only if it is pretty quite in the house.

Sabriel
09-17-05, 07:59 pm
Excuse me? I did not do it for *my* metal stimulation. That's what my computer is for. I did it for theirs. I could care less if they bothered with each other. But I tried for them. They like it. I am happy I did it.

Edit: My husband brings up a very good point about preditor/prey: Sheep. Dogs herd sheep. They don't eat sheep. So it has been proven before that preditors can be trained not to eat prey. And if you look at the size ratio it works for cats/cavies.

John4216
09-17-05, 08:29 pm
Edit: My husband brings up a very good point about preditor/prey: Sheep. Dogs herd sheep. They don't eat sheep. So it has been proven before that preditors can be trained not to eat prey. And if you look at the size ratio it works for cats/cavies.

They have to be bred/trained to do so and feral dogs will eat sheep in a heart beat. They would eat a GP even quicker. And yes predators can be trained to do so but herd dogs are trained from birth so that they see the sheep as part of their pack :)

And like I said we will have to agree to disagree on this obviously. You think it is ok for people to mix cat and GP's. I think that the risk outweighs the benefits, at least for the initial meeting.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:i4Ie11QkhUYJ:www.aracnet.com/~seagull/faq/apgpfaq.html+cat%2Bguinea+pig&hl=en
If you have a cat and/or dog and you want to get a guinea pig, think
about the personality of the animal first. Will they be able to accept a
small animal that resembles their natural prey? Some cats and dogs will
take to accepting guinea pigs very well, some don't. Because there as
many wonderful stories about cats and dogs becoming best friends with
guinea pigs, as there are horror stories.

There are examples of horror stories and good stories with Cat/GP mix. On GL the question has been discussed as well and there are many people with cats and GP's that are fine.

Sabriel
09-17-05, 08:36 pm
You realize you just implied that people with hunting cats and dogs should not even get GP's with your quote?

zakfoxmom
09-17-05, 09:47 pm
This is my two cents worth: I have three cats. A 17 year old, an 8 year old, and a 1 year old. The 17 year old is very territorial of his home and was an avid, big time hunter, and to this day will attack a dog if given the chance. He will lay on the floor and the piggies will go right up to him and sniff his nose and I know that he will not mess with them. Our 8 year old could care less and our 1 year old likes to look but will not touch and has not ever touched. He has gotten in their cage a few times before we put a top on but he would merely lay there because he liked the cage. He gets the crazy look in his eyes but we have discovered its because he likes the actual cage so much.

We also have a rabbit. Our 1 year old cat brought her home to us. She thinks she is a cat. She will follow the cats around and play with their tails. They have never raised a paw to her and the 1 year old sleeps near her cage at night.

All of our animals know that they are part of the family and have obviously accepted the fact that they are to live together. I know my animals personalities and I would never put any of them in harms way or allow them anywhere near one of the others if I knew they might attack.

JiggityJig
09-17-05, 09:53 pm
John, with all due respect (and I'm saying this in a nice tone of voice! :)) I think *you* are the one who's not reading here. Because you sound too reasonable and intelligent to be *intentionally* ignoring or misreading some of the posts that Sabriel and I have made here, in which we *have* answered your questions, several times.

But I'll reiterate: Why did I risk my pig's safety in INITIALLY introducing her to the larger animals? Because I thought it was much SAFER to introduce them on MY terms, than to have their natural curiosity get the best of them someday, with probable disasterous results.

As Sabriel outlines, utmost care is taken in the beginning, and then as you read your animals' reactions, you are able to distance yourself a little more. Not unlike teaching a child to ride a bike. Really, I'm not seeing what the terrible danger is in the initial meeting, as you describe, if the owner is right there???

You sound like you're advocating a pig owner not to have ANY other pets in the house. ??? Or to keep your pigs totally isolated. ??? I want my pigs in the livingroom, where they can get the most attention, as members of the family. That is ALSO where we want the cat, the dog, and oh, did I mention we have a python? And they all live together in harmony. Even though the cat and dog should be mortal enemies, I don't keep THEM in separate rooms...and I'm certainly not going to do that with every different species of animal we own.

I know that not everyone has the option to mix their pets so freely, and that we're very lucky with our animals being easy-going and OPEN to taking each other for granted. But I'm not going to accept your assertation that by introducing them, I was being reckless and selfish.

Funnygpigs
09-17-05, 10:48 pm
I think this is pointless discussion. Most people do what they want reguardless of others opinions. If someone does not think it should be done, then dont do it. If you think it is ok, and it works for your family, then do it!!! Everyone has their own opinions about everything. In the end, just take care of your own needs and thoughts and let others have theirs. OK, that was my last two cents on this issue!!! HEHE

Da_3_mad_pigs
09-18-05, 04:09 am
Yes I do have cats, I have two, and I love my cats very much, and I am probobly 80% sure that they wouldnt hurt my guinea pigsm, but just in case that they wanted to 'play' with them for instunce(sp?) and accidently bit them, then how would you feel??:?: when you put that this is conpleatly bias, then what do you mean, I dont understand that part...:o

Da_3_mad_pigs
09-18-05, 04:14 am
I didnt mean it in a fierce or nasty way when I started this thread, its just that when I saw some of the photos on here with two cats in the cage, then I wondered why people were taking the chance of there cat not attacking them. fyi, I am a girl not a boy...lol:)

He still has a point though he could have expressed a little nicer. Your cat NOW may know it but at some point you had to tack a chance and introduce them and see what would happen. So I ask again WHY do you let them mix and more importantly WHY did you take the risk the first time?? Now Sabriel has a case that currently they are buddies so thats fine as far as it goes.

And its no more bias than people saying never mix a rabbit and a GP. Also pictures of a cat with a GP can give the wrong impression to some new owners. Do you want to be the person who said its fine and posted the picture only to find out that someone listened to you and let their cat/dog in with the GP's and something bad happens? So until someone can say WHY to do it in the first place he has a valid point.

Myspoiltpiggies
09-18-05, 04:15 am
With me, it's the other way round... my cat is blind, and so vulnerable if a guinea pig comes up to her and have a chew on her tail. She wouldn't claw them, she is gentle. I think if you have a cat of your own, you must know how owners know their cats well enough to know what's safe. Same with my dog, I wouldn't leave her alone with the guinea pigs JUST IN CASE, but when I'm around she loves them. So no doubt she'd be treat them with care when I'm not around. Most people now their pets well enough to know if they would turn wild and attack their fellow pet-mates.

Da_3_mad_pigs
09-18-05, 04:18 am
I know that we know that our other pets wouldnt attack them, but I am just saying that you cant be 100% sure that they wouldnt hurt them, like say you wouldnt be 100% sure that your bungee wouldnt snap while bungee jumping, or that if you went to a safari park, you wouldnt bee 100% sure that a rino wouldnt charge at you.

Sabriel
09-18-05, 06:34 am
Honestly I have had Shampoo for 5 years and she hasn't done anything "out of character". She always acts just as I thought she would. I know she is more of a danger to strange cats (first cat territory thing) then she is to small things she should eat. She never cared for fish watching either.

I've heard of cats who paw fish out of tanks. My tank is in reach of that cats. All 6 fish are there every night. I take a "risk" having fish in the house with the cats, but my cats don't care. My fish probably don't even know we have a cat.

weaseldropping
09-18-05, 08:20 am
Sabriel - would you be interested in swapping your Shampoo for our Charlie?

Charlie ate 7 out my 8 fish from the pond, and would sit on the kitchen table with his nose sticking to the tank, terrorising the indoor fish until we gave up and rehomed the entire tank. The pigs are "his" and he would eat them in a flash, given a millionth of a chance! (That's how we are so certain all of our housing is cat-proof - it has been tested by an expert!)

He has beaten up all of the dogs in our road, next door's Retriever has been sewn up at the vets three times now. None of the local cats have escaped, either. I got a very cool reception from the doctor (lives in our road) last time I went to get my hand seen to (Charlie, again...) as Charlie had thrown their cat off next door's shed roof where it had been sunbathing. Their cat had a nervous breakdown...
Next door's Tom waits until Charlie comes in at bedtime then when the coast is clear he goes out.

I have had to buy a jet washer to get the blood stains off the front step from the wildlife he kills.

If we try to keep him in, even when he's sick (usually an abcess from fighting) then he attacks me. (Never my husband or son?)

He is fine with kids - will play chase when he's in the mood, but when he's had enough and goes to his fleece then he MUST be left alone. He taught our son at about 18months that cat's tails are not toys, with no blood split.

He is aggressive, dominant, bossy, a fussy eater, noisy, bloodthirsty and foul-tempered.
He is also a big fluffy kitten, a foot-warmer in winter, a guard-cat, cuddly when we're poorly, and great fun to tease with a feather.

He couldn't be trusted with my pigs for a second, but, we love him!

Sabriel
09-18-05, 08:27 am
Now now, after Charlie you'd find my Shampoo quite dull. She spends her days sleeping, eating, sunning, sits on my lap then suns some more. That's about it. She occasionally scratches the cat tree.

Shampoo actually won't chase feathers. Ukyou will, but never Shampoo. She has to much "dignaty" for that.

weaseldropping
09-18-05, 08:53 am
I would really like to try "dull" for a while - it would be rather nice...

The Monster Cat is sat outside the window now, howling like a banshee at the indignity of being outside on a lovely sunny day. Just minutes ago he was howling to be let out - what terrible owners we are keeping him in on a day like this! I won't have a cat flap because of all the bloodstains, and i guess all the running up and down is good for me!

andreanne1422
09-18-05, 08:55 am
I have a cat and two piggies.I don't mind that my cat is around when they are out for floor. So far I've let them interact. My cat seems to know which on is the alpha piggy because she likes to pet Chanel, my youngest one, on the butt but when Melodie , my alpha one, comes near my cat backs off right away, it's like my cat is scared of one of my guinea pig or respects the alpha one more than the youngest one.

weaseldropping
09-18-05, 09:06 am
Charlie is showing a lot more interest in the boys than in the girls, but from his point of view it is simple economics - there's more meat on the boys!

Sabriel
09-18-05, 09:39 am
Shampoo is sitting in the same spot that she was in when I wrote my last post. You sure you want her? She hasn't moved all morning.

Ukyou however has been here there and everywhere. She loves to look at everything. She was watching bird TV through the window earlier.

happie gurl
09-18-05, 09:59 am
origionaly posted by- Funnygpigs:
I think this is pointless discussion. Most people do what they want reguardless of others opinions. If someone does not think it should be done, then dont do it. If you think it is ok, and it works for your family, then do it!!! Everyone has their own opinions about everything. In the end, just take care of your own needs and thoughts and let others have theirs. OK, that was my last two cents on this issue!!! HEHE

Well said funnygpigs!:) I think this will just lead to more and more argument if continued, because everyone has completely different opinions on the subject.
can we just agree to disagree, but respect eachothers opinions??

weaseldropping
09-18-05, 10:59 am
Shampoo is sitting in the same spot that she was in when I wrote my last post. You sure you want her? She hasn't moved all morning.

Just pop her in the post!

We have been out in the garden pig-watching. Charlie got jealous, and made a "mouse pounce" at Offie. He ended up crashing his nose into the wire netting and gettng laughed at by everyone, especially the pigs!

He is now sulking under a bush....

We are now getting ready for the Sunday Night Film. All the family in one room, popcorn and "Fiddler on the Roof" on video. Heaven!

Odella
09-18-05, 11:29 am
ILovemypiggies, I completely agree with you. I know my cats, but I would never allow them into the cage, not even under supervision. They're animals, and one shouldn't ignore their natural instincts. I love my cats to bits, but I'll have to draw the line somewhere.

Da_3_mad_pigs
09-18-05, 11:34 am
I totally agree with you there!:)

ILovemypiggies, I completely agree with you. I know my cats, but I would never allow them into the cage, not even under supervision. They're animals, and one shouldn't ignore their natural instincts. I love my cats to bits, but I'll have to draw the line somewhere.

andreanne1422
09-18-05, 01:06 pm
I agree too!

Sabriel
09-18-05, 02:36 pm
The point of domestication is to change behaviors that are unwanted. Just becuase your cats are not so domestic does not mean my cats are not.

Shampoo's # 1 instinct is to sleep. If something hurts or scares her she runs under the bed.

Everyone's cats are different. You should not generalize that all cats are good hunters.

Most cats (with the exception of weasle's Charlie) are not really wild animals any more. They have been trianed to live with humans and abide by their rules. My cats also don't claw the funiture, jump on the counters or eat garbage. Wild animals would do so.

I hate it when people say "they are just animals". It's like animals are another class. We are technically animals too. Unless someone wants to argue we are a plant or mineral. My cats are pretty intelligent for "just animals".

Katie
09-18-05, 04:25 pm
I have to agree with Sabriel. No one knows our cats better then ourselves and if you do not feel comfortable with having your cats around the pigs supervised or not, then don't do it, but don't go around telling others that they can't either.

I have seven cats and only two cats that I completely trust around my pigs. They were raised around them and know how to respect them, They've never even tried to lay a hand (paw) on them.

Would I trust them around my pigs when I'm not home? No.

Cats are prey for dogs, does that mean people shouldn't have dogs and cats in the same house? Does that mean they should lock their dogs (or cats) up every time they leave the house? No.

Odella
09-18-05, 04:28 pm
You say that "The point of domestication is to change behaviors that are unwanted". Why would I want to take away the natural instinct of praying on other animals? I want my cats' home to be as much natural as I can make it, which involves them catching mice for example.

You say that I shouldn't generalize that all cats are good hunters. I don't think you should take that option away from you cat. Instincts are instincs, and I don't want to change that. That would be disrespectful of me.

When I say that "Animals are just animals", it's out of respect. I believe that no animal is below me just because I'm at the top of the food chain. But I respect them as animals, to be able to keep their natural instincts that we have learned to supress.

Sabriel
09-18-05, 05:21 pm
Since my cats aren't hunters they enjoy a happier life. Look at weasel's cat. He gets hurt beaucse of his untame nature. I'm sure weasel loves her cat (regardless of wanting to shove him in a parcel) but I'm sure she'd be happy if he hunted less and didn't get hurt as much.

I live in the city. I don't have mice and I don't let my cats out of the house. They still have fun and they are still happy. They play with cat toys and their cat scratch. They get lots of attention for myself and my husband. When Ukyou learns tricks she gets plenty of love and treats. And since they are tame they are allowed to fish watch and play with the pigs.

I feel I have done them a service, showing them the gentler pleasures in life. If you put Shampoo in a field with some mice, she would run for the mice and be one stressed cat. She is a house cat through and through and I love her for it.

Ukyou is very cleaver. She knows kitty kibble and treats are better and less work the the pigs. Why catch your food when you can call and have a human serve it?

weaseldropping
09-19-05, 09:26 am
Katie, I hate to disagree, but in my experience, dogs are prey for cats!!!!!!

Sabriel - you are so right, we love him despite his vile nature. Every day when we don't have to take him to the vet is a good day and a cheap day. The monster is nearly 10 now, and I hope he will soon start to ease up a bit on the local wildlife. I would be very happy if he could be a house cat - life would be a great deal easier. However, until he is ready there is not a lot we can do, short of keeping him sedated! (Or posting him to Canada..... hmmmm?)

Sabriel
09-19-05, 09:30 am
If you want to send him to Canada, at least pick somebody with a yard. I live in a small one bedroom apartment. Not the place for such an .. er, energetic cat.

Besides he'd harass my lady cats to no end.

weaseldropping
09-19-05, 09:34 am
I thought Canada was enormous!

Don't worry, he likes sleeping on peoples beds, so he'll fit in just fine. He has no interest in female cats "that way".

Hey, I've just had an idea - maybe you could get a mini trampoline to keep him occupied?

Sabriel
09-19-05, 09:43 am
The country is enourmous, not my apartment.

If a trampoline would work so well why don't you get a big one for your backyard?

weaseldropping
09-19-05, 09:46 am
I think I shall - wouldn't it be great - all join in:
"He flies through the air with the greatest of ease, that big furry cat on his flying trapeze" - Oh no!!!!
I meant a trapeze, not a trampoline...
On second thoughts, it'd never work. Wrong sort of paws.

Sabriel
09-19-05, 09:48 am
Bring him in for plastic surgery to give him thumbs. My MIL has two 7 toed cats. They have little thumb like appendages on their paws.

weaseldropping
09-19-05, 09:57 am
If they aren't using their thumbs, could we try a transplant?

I am sorry - I really have to go and cook dinner now before my evening class. I am turning off my computer NOW or I will sit here being silly for the next hour!
It's been fun, though!

salana
09-20-05, 11:48 am
If our two cats had any kind of hunting instinct, wouldn't they want to go after the weakest member of the pig herd? Yet they completely ignore Einstein. One cat would rather sniff Jackie's butt and steal his poops. She's pretty predatory towards pig poops. She likes to reach in through the grids and bop the pigs, too, but her claws aren't extended or anything.

The other cat, well, here's a picture:
http://www.newzeromusic.com/charly/0032.JPG
As you can see, he looooves the pigs. Okay, that was a prop. But this cat was a street cat for the first two years of his life. Does he have a hunting instinct? Ha! He's a big fat lump who lets the pigs sit on him. The most attention he ever paid to a pig was when he was surprised at Cuddles's fattitude.

Odella
09-20-05, 01:18 pm
Ok, yeah, I understand that. But your cat is natural predator, by instinct. Have some respect for that. Why would you want to take a chance?

Sabriel
09-20-05, 01:31 pm
Domesticated animals have less instict. That is what the domestication process does. It changes the animal. They are no longer a natural preditor. They are part of a household.

My cat has jumped in my cage twice and fell asleep since this thread started. No harm has come of it. The girls ganged up on her and kicked her out of their chair. Nothing happened.

If you know your animals then you aren't taking a chance. You may decide to keep your cats wild (or they may have decided for you) but my cats like being part of our family and all it entails. They like lazing about and being fed. They don't like hunting. It does not interest them. The cage is comfy though, that interests them.

I respect what domestication has done to my cats and will not take away simple pleasures because of some strange fear of what they will not do. If I needed my cats to hunt I would have trained them to hunt. I have not. I have trianed the to be lap cats and lap cats they are. I have trainned them not to hurt the pigs. When I introduced them I told them in a firm voice "Mine". It's the same thing I did to teach Shampoo to accept Ukyou as a kitten. I gave them treats when they treated the pigs like family. Now they know that pigs are family, not food and they treat them like kittens. They also associate being nice to the pigs with good things.

If you can't train your cats how in heck did you people get them to use the box, stay off the counter, stay out of the garbage, etc? It's the same principle. I'm sure my cats would do all of the above without training.

Katie
09-20-05, 01:39 pm
Ok, yeah, I understand that. But your cat is natural predator, by instinct. Have some respect for that. Why would you want to take a chance?

Why are you so worried about it? We know our animals, you don't. Keep your cats away from your pigs if you are so worried. We can trust our own cats. They repect us and the pigs, we respect them for that.

salana
09-20-05, 02:06 pm
But your cat is natural predator, by instinct.

And all dogs are wolves, genetically.

Have some respect for that.

How is it disrespectful to know what our cats are like? It's not like we're taking cats that have never seen pigs, and pigs that have never seen cats, and tossing them on the couch with a box of chocolates.

Why would you want to take a chance?

This has already been answered, right?

Sabriel
09-20-05, 02:09 pm
My cats would go after the chocolate first.

John4216
09-20-05, 02:28 pm
And all dogs are wolves, genetically.

Actually domestic dogs are Wolf puppies rather than full grown wolves if you want to get technical about it. Domestic dogs are basically in a wolf puppy state perpetually and rely on us for food/shelter/etc.

I would ask then do you all agree that you should never leave your GP's alone with cats/dog unattended?

Katie
09-20-05, 02:30 pm
I would ask then do you all agree that you should never leave your GP's alone with cats/dog unattended?

Of course. That's what we've been saying. We supervise our cats/dogs around our guinea pigs, but never leave them unattended. Someone just doesn't think we should let them have contact at all.

Sabriel
09-20-05, 02:36 pm
I will leave the cage cover open for short periods of time unattended. Say I have to go to the kitchen or washroom. But I won't leave the house with it open.

Odella
09-20-05, 02:47 pm
Ok, Whatever. I raise my cats the way I do, and you do it your way. Of course I give them catfood, and have a box for them, and let them lie in my lap. Mojje (11 years) loves to lie on the rug and sleep, but when instincts kick in, she can eat a mouse or two. I've seen it myself, it doesn't matter how much I feed her.

"If you can't train your cats how in heck did you people get them to use the box, stay off the counter, stay out of the garbage, etc?"

First of all, it's not even the same thing. Training your cat from not jumping on the kitchen table is not even in the same category as training them from hunting other animals. At least, that's what I learned in biology class.

And Katie, I can take critique. You don't have to cover it up.

weaseldropping
09-20-05, 02:54 pm
Sabriel - is Ukyou pronounced "You-kay-you" or "Uck-you" or somehow else? It has been really bothering me!

Charlie Cat says Hi to Shampoo, by the way...

Sabriel
09-20-05, 03:06 pm
Well cats like high places. My cats' attraction to high places is even stronger then their attraction to the pigs. I see them in high places much more then I see them in the cage. They are both sitting on things about 4" high or higher while looking at and not walking into the open cage.

Scavaging is a food related instinct. A cat would rather find a bird then hunt one. It preserves energy in the wild. So when my husband throws out scraps of raw chicken they can smell it in the bag. And I have caught them pawing at it and told them "no". They are not allowed table scraps and are not allowed in the garbage. They know not to try any more for they will get in trouble. I train them not to do what they would instinctivley do.

My cats do not hunt. They don't try to get the birds out the window, they don't hunt the pigs and they don't hunt anything else except for bugs. And even then, they stop when they are bored. My cats have never seen a mouse. They wouldn't even know what to do with one.

My cats are indoor cats, I suspect your cats are not. Indoor cats lose alot of instinct. They slowly conform to the rules of living inside. Their behavior changes. Just like any domestic animal.

Your pigs change. How many litter training threads are there? Or "How do I get my pigs not to run from me" threads? Or "how can I keep them from chewing things?" Or "How do I keep them from nibbling on me"? When you bring an animal into your home you change it. It is no longer wild. You are domesticating it and teaching it behaviors that you find desireable.

If you want your cats to be wild so be it. That's what you prefer. But don't tell other people to be careful with trained cats. They can be trianed even if you don't want to train yours. Mine would rather have treats then kill the pigs. Just like nature, they would rather scavenge then hunt. Conservation of energy again.

Weasel: It is procounced Oo-ki-o. Shampoo says "hi" back to Charlie.

weaseldropping
09-20-05, 03:10 pm
Thanks - I will sleep a lot better tonight for knowing that.

We pronounce our cat's name as "char-lee", if it had worried you in return!!!

I think Charlie must be a wild cat. He is certainly not domesticated like yours. He has trained us quite well, though.

Sabriel
09-20-05, 03:18 pm
Oh my cats have me trained quite well too. They whine when they want food, or fresh water (cause you know after 5 minutes it's not fresh anymore) or because the pigs chased them out of the SuperPet chair.

Susan9608
09-20-05, 07:30 pm
My cat, Oscar (whom I love more than almost anything in the world, including my husband :)), is quite predatory - he tries to hunt everything from bugs to birds to our dog to even my husband, whom Oscar hates.

However, he once accidentally got locked in my guinea pig cage with our two quite small pigs. He must have been in there, completely unattended, for about 15 minutes. I heard him meowing and called and called for him, but he didn't come, and I figured he was just being stubborn by not coming when he was called. I finally got up to look for him, and found him lying there in the guinea pig cage, quite peacefully.

The two pigs were climbing all over him, and Oscar didn't pay the slightest attention to them. It was pretty amazing. And quite funny, especially when I realized that somehow Oscar (who weighs 16 pounds) had gotten himself inside the pigs' Chube and couldn't get out. He was walking around with that Chube trapped across his middle - I've never laughed so hard in my life.

Anyways ... my point is that obviously some cats are not all that interested in guinea pigs. Cats, like people, are very individualized, and have different areas of interest.

What I fail to understand is why anyone cares ... why someone found it offensive enough to post about it. What possible difference could it make to you - the person who started this thread and to those who agreed with the initial poster? No one is saying you all should let your guinea pigs and cats pal around together, so why do you care what other people do? Obviously the people who post the pictures of their cats and pigs together are not leaving them together unattended, as they are there to take the picture, so why do you care?

It seems to me to be a petty little offense, if an offense at all .... after all, no one has shown a picture of their cat hunting the guinea pig or eating the guinea pig.

The Magic Taco
09-24-05, 06:45 am
My cats are pretty peaceful. They just sit there sometimes and scare the crap (literally) out of my guinea pigs. But... Then again... They do get scared by everything.
My cats must be going mad! We have guinea pigs, a bird and fish. When we first got Sprinkles (cockatiel) Ginger (older cat) was going mad, but now he seems not to care for him anymore. Neo (Little cat, aka Skittens, Kitty, Kittensy-Wee Wees, Kittens, Skitty and when he's in trouble "Mr. Anderson") was once trying to get his paw into the fish tank! But, then again, my sister DID leave iton the ground for him to go mad.

Sabriel
09-26-05, 08:12 am
I love that you call your cat Mr. Anderson when he is bad. If you get another cat you so have to name him Agent Smith :P For a bad guy Agent Smith had some of the best lines.

Skyenoir
09-29-05, 07:45 pm
Everything I have read has said that cats really don't care much about guinea pigs, that they really won't do anything to them. It is dogs you have to worry about. I am not saying I would leave my pigs out without a cage cover, or without watching them, but my cats have never tried to attack my pigs. My one cat, that is VERY attached to me, has pinged one of my pigs in the head with her paw out of jealousy, but that is it. (my cats are all declawed, so there is no danger of blood being drawn) My friend has a dog that visits here often, and the dog is ALWAYS after the pigs. We have to gate off parts of the house or the dog will go nuts. So, I am not too worried about my cats, I really don't think they would do anything....but of course I will continue to watch them....

C&K
09-29-05, 08:09 pm
I think it really depends on the cat. Some cats don't know they are cats. My cat however is a mouser, and even though she has yet to pay them any attention when I am around, I would not trust her for any money. I know for a fact that my sisters cat would kill them in a heart beat, since she has tried to attack foreign kittens in the past, and also kills mice and birds, and has even nearly brought down squirles.

Then there are other cats, that are indeed very docile. I suppose that you may have one those cats, but I think that most fall somewhere between mine and my sisters.

Just a personal opinion...

Everything I have read has said that cats really don't care much about guinea pigs, that they really won't do anything to them. It is dogs you have to worry about. I am not saying I would leave my pigs out without a cage cover, or without watching them, but my cats have never tried to attack my pigs. My one cat, that is VERY attached to me, has pinged one of my pigs in the head with her paw out of jealousy, but that is it. (my cats are all declawed, so there is no danger of blood being drawn) My friend has a dog that visits here often, and the dog is ALWAYS after the pigs. We have to gate off parts of the house or the dog will go nuts. So, I am not too worried about my cats, I really don't think they would do anything....but of course I will continue to watch them....

Sabriel
09-29-05, 08:13 pm
I find cats that are kept in the country and are let outdoors tend to be less docile then 24/7 housecats. You are right about some cats not knowing they are cats. I think Ukyou wants to be a guinea pig. She seems to think they are very spoiled.

JiggityJig
09-29-05, 10:03 pm
Everything I have read has said that cats really don't care much about guinea pigs, that they really won't do anything to them. It is dogs you have to worry about.

You make a good point. I know I've read about dogs attacking and hurting or killing pigs, but has anyone ever heard the same sort of stories about CATS? I don't know that I have. (if there were some earlier in this thread, I've forgotten! :p)

Meanwhile, my cat that completely ignores the pigs has discovered that our new HUGE dog wouldn't hurt a fly, and so she now spends all her time plotting evilly about new ways to taunt the dog. Now THAT I have to watch her about!

I'm 99% sure the cat would never harm the pigs, that said, I remain cautious and watchful, just to be on the safe side. And for those saying that they don't feel the same ease about their cats, I would never try to convince them to be otherwise. We're all animal lovers here, and we each make our own decisions based on what we think is best for OUR pets.

Percy's Mom
09-29-05, 10:42 pm
Well, I have one cat that thinks she's a dog, another who thinks he's human, and a dog who thinks Percy is his puppy. I'm not overly concerned about any of them, but I don't trust them around the piggers without me, and they are definitely in closed cages.

C&K
09-30-05, 08:05 am
My pig had to be rehomed (to me:D ) because they adopted an agressive cat. Her family had a cat before that ignored her, but the new one had for weeks made it his #1 priority to get to the pigs cage and hiss at her, and batt the cage. The seemed very responsible, but just found the cat one to many times atop the cage scarring up the poor little piggy. Would it attack if given a chance? His owners felt so, and for the pigs safety, gave up the pig after 2 years. I think I would have put out the cat, but oh well.

I have "SEEN" cats chase and kill squirles. I have seen cats take on seagulls. I listen to cats taking on cats all the time. I have no doubt in my mind that many cats would and could kill a pig if left alone. I could test this out with my sisters cat, who is highly agressive and tried to kill a couple kittens we once adopted, and is one of these squirel chasing freaks, but I have a feeling the experiment would not be as benign as the "legs get stuck in cavy cages" experiments, and it would be best to refrain.

However, I do agree that dogs can be very problematic, especially the breeds that where bred for rat hunting and rodent killing, and those that are just large and puppyish and don't know their own strength.

ErdTirdMans
10-04-05, 01:49 pm
I've been in and out of the doctor's office lately for a recently diagnosed cancer and so I've been home from work quite a bit. This has given me the opportunity to observe my piggies a little more.

Well, somebody didn't close my door porperly (and I ALWAYS have since I was 5), so the hook didn't click into place. The wind sucked the door open and my cat decided to investigate the room she's never allowed in. She has met the piggies before during a supervised playtime visit, but she was still interested enough to stand on the cube walls and knock their water bottle off. As soon as I heard the squeals, I ran upstairs screaming "Kitten you'd better not be in my room" (ESP, I guess). As soon as I opened that door, Kitten ran out and Morgan and Lucy stopped squealing. Then they came out of their hidey houses and did that sqeak for food they love to do so much, so I fed them and smacked my kitty's butt. She knows she's not allowed in there.

They weren't hurt, just scared, but I wouldn't've been surprised if I had gone to work that I would have found two dead piggies and a purring cat. I'm putting a sign on my door to remind everyone of the rules when it comes to my bedroom.

Sabriel
10-04-05, 02:02 pm
I have accidently left the cage open since this thread started. I went up the street to the laundry mat and came back to find the cage open. Nothing happened. I came back to five pigs going about thier business as usual and 2 cats not caring. The pigs are low on their cat to do list. One cat walked through the cage to sit on the window sil. That's it.

weaseldropping
10-04-05, 03:01 pm
It just depends on the cat!
Charlie would have eaten both pigs, and then eaten the pellets and the poo as well, and would probably have had some of the hay to finish off - and would have barely left a stain on the fleece - he is mostly quite a neat eater.
Sabriel seems to have much nicer cats - I know this because she won't swap with me!

ErdTirdMans
10-05-05, 04:16 am
Yeah, my cat is really timid most of the time, but every so often she gets that urge and I really don't trust her to supress it when she sees rodents, albeit large cute ones, running amok and sqeaking.

Cavie Cove
10-05-05, 05:20 am
My cat is petrifided of the guineas. If we have one on our knee and the cat comes to sit next to us as soon as the guinea moves shes runs as fast as she can go.
But there are about 3 other cats near us that will sit and watch the guineas. If Muffy(family cat) sees any other cats she will growl untill we chase them out of the garden.
Even though she doesn't seem to bother with the guineas I wouldn't leave her alone with them.
She does sit and watch my gerbils with that "hunting" look about her but then I get a gerbil out and once again shes petrified of them. But again I wouldn't leave her alone with them just in case as she has caught birds and frogs before and you can never be sure that she won't try and go for a guinea or gerbil one day as you do hear so amn stories about cats attacking small animal.

CavyKind
10-05-05, 06:58 am
My three elderly cats have no interest whatsoever in the guinea pigs and my own piggies aren't worried by them.
I personally do let my guinea pigs out when the cats are around, I just keep an eye on things.

Barbara

JiggityJig
10-05-05, 07:09 am
The other night I had both pigs on the couch with me, and the cat jumped up on the other end and was bathing himself. :D

The pigs wanted to check him out, and with this thread in mind, I let them, just to see what would happen.

The piggers ganged up on him :D and gave him a good sniffing, and the cat did the same. He only hopped off when they started nibbling on his toes. :D

kalashnikova
10-06-05, 01:29 am
I don't have to worry about my cat messing with Lois. She is absolutely scared of Lois. She has came in the room, but won't go near the cage.

That being said, I did put a kitty-proof lid on top.

-Josh

ErdTirdMans
05-25-06, 09:45 pm
Surprisingly, I've changed my view on this issue... for my cat only.

My cat is so bored with the idea of guinea pigs she doesn't even look at the cage when I feed them. I tried playing with her with a shoelace a little while back and she ignored it. We have a mouse in the house and she doesn't seem to care... at all. I would think my cat is dead if she didn't move around.

She lost her spirit somehow.

I began to change my opinion on having my cat in the room with the guineas when i was forced to. We were having a party and Kitten (my cat) is a complete spazz. So, the only way to ensure that she would poop and pee in a litter box is to lock her in a room with one. My room was the only choice, and I didn't have the number of grids I needed to make a lid. Well, I came up that night and Kitten was still under the bed. Still scared I guess. A few days later my roommate left my door open. Kitten was in the room, and the guinea pigs were making noise. I got scared at first until I realized Kitten was in a drawer on the opposite side of the room and the pigs couldn't see her. They were just squealing for attention, not out of fear.

Long story short, after two or three more mistakes by roommates and friends like that one, and from the many times that Kitten and I were in the room together, I realized Kitten doesn't care about cavies at all. For whatever reason, no matter how many times she sees the guinea pigs, she just doesn't mind them. She's been right next to the guinea pigs while they ran around during play time (with me in the room of course) and she just ignores them.

Basically, Kitten is guinea pig-safe. I don't mind her being near them. While I will still supervise her during any sessions of near contact, she's free to sleep in my room with the pigs and I. It's been about a month and a half and neither Kitten nor the pigs seem interested in each other at all.

I will eventually build a lid or some grid thing to ensure Kitten cannot get in the cage if she tries, but it's really not a top concern of mine any more.

I guess it depends ENTIRELY on the cat. Would I recommend this to anyone? No. Absolutely not. If someone chooses to let their cats and guineas near each other, will I tell them they're wrong? Nope. Not anymore.

-----------------------

Please delete this duplicate post. Sorry, my computer was acting funny.

2pigs4rats
05-27-06, 06:54 am
I too let my cat see the piggies - they were here way before she was and she knows they are part of the family, I would never leave her alone with them but don't mind letting her in my room when the pigs are out for floor time.
Some cats are different though, and people are dumb like this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIdMMmL0a1Y&search=guinea%20pig%20cat%20funny
Poor piggy!

PeruRodent
06-08-06, 09:41 pm
o.o
:eek:

WatersLM
06-08-06, 10:19 pm
My cat would never even bite my pigs, plus he is declawed and 10 years old. We have had pigs since he was a kitten so he is used to them. Lots of times when the pigs come out of the bath and I am drying them I will lay them in my cats lap to keep warm. He just lays there and sleeps. In fact, I am more worried of Ginny(one of my pigs) biting the cat than I am of Fanny(my cat) biting Ginny. In fact, Ginny has bitten Fanny before but Fanny just looked at her like she was crazy then jumped up on the couch. Maybe you don't know any tame, harmless kitties, but mine are and I would bet my life that he would never hurt the pigs. I hope that this helps you understand that pigs and cats can leave in peace together.

Jennicat
06-09-06, 04:32 am
I think it's largely an individual animal thing. Loki is free in our house, and we have open-topped cages. It's been like that since we got pigs. We haven't had a problem with him until recently when we put fleece in the cages. Then he likes to get in and sleep on the fleece, and the girls get upset and scream at him to get out because he blocks the pellet bowl.

Sabriel
06-09-06, 07:11 am
I just watched the video on the last page and fail to see what's wrong with it. If the pig really didn't like it he'd move, not try to get closer to the cat! They were just playing and the piggie looked like he was having fun.

If the cat was being too rough the cat would learn her lesson quite quick. Piggies can and will bite when annoyed. Ask my cat, she's gotten bitten quite a bit.

I remember I had Kero out for floor time. Ukyou jumped in the pen and he didn't take notice. Untill she started drinking from his water bottle. Kero is very attached to his water bottle. He tore across the cage screaming at her and tried to bite her tail!

She can eat his hay, sniff his veggies and play with his toys, but she knows now to never mess with the water. Poor cat, she's quite fond of water herself!

weaseldropping
06-09-06, 10:50 am
I'm with Sabriel on this one - no harm done to either animal.

I must say that they really didn't seem to understand the predator/prey relationship very well between them - the cat seemed curious at first then a bit confused, and the pig seemed unconcerned then curious. Notice the cats claws were retracted all the time - it was just investigating. If it had been a serious attack the video would have had quite a different ending.