Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New pig owners, all advice welcome! :)

ruthanniris

Cavy Slave
Hi! We are Rou and Matt, a young couple based in Manchester! I (Rou) did grow up with pigs so am not a complete novice although they were mostly outside pigs, ours will be the opposite! We are in the process of adopting some baby pigs at the moment and they will be moving in on the 15th March, we have aready learned a lot from browsing through this forum but would love to get any advice you have to offer! We have got a one tier cage with view to get a c&c one with a 1x2 loft. We would love any advice on how to make the best set up for our pigs, any help with daily routines etc would also be great, we just want as much advice as we can get so we know 100% that we're doing the best for our pigs!! Thanks in advance, we look forward to getting to know you all!

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
Welcome :D ! The advice on this forum is grand, everyone is so helpful!

Look forward to seeing pictures of your piggies! :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! You're not too far away from me haha!

For two pigs, you'll need 8 sq ft minimum (or in C&C terms, a 2x4). One tier is fine as some pigs just don't understand the concept of ramps anyway haha. I'm not sure what you already know, so I'll just go through the basics! However, if they're little boys you're getting, boys tend to require extra space because they usually fight more if they don't have enough space to get away from each other. Boys usually need a 2x5 C&C minimum.

Hay: Unlimited long strand grass hay needs to be avaliable at all times, as far as I'm aware we can only get timothy in the UK. https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/ I order mine from here, it's great quality and better VFM than what you'd pay for a tiny bag in a pet shop.

Pellets: The best pellets you can access in the shops in the UK are Burgess Excel, I feed the plain ones, not the blackcurrant and oregano ones because they have a higher sugar content and pigs don't process excess sugar very well. You can also order Oxbow online in the UK, but it's pricey as hell. Pigs under 6 months can have unlimited pellets, pigs over six months get 1/8 cup per day, so 1/4 cup for two pigs.

Veg: 1 cup per pig per day (you can get measuring cups pretty cheap from £ world etc), most people split it in to 1/2 cup morning and night as pigs are grazers and need to ear constantly. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List Here's a chart of what's safe to feed, and how much, and how often. We can only really access romaine in the UK, but it can cause excess calcium excretion in older pigs, so if you find that, or don't want to risk it at all, baby gem and ruby gem lettuce are a safe alternative.

Age: Depending on how old your pigs are, they may need calcium supplement. If they're under 6 months, you can do this by feeding a little extra parsley, adding some alfalfa hay to their timothy hay, or alfalfa pellets. Also, depending on your current cage, it may require babyproofing. If it has a tub-bottom like a pet store cage does, it's fine as it is. C&C's need babyproofing though. This can be done by overlapping grids, or zip tying chicken wire to the outside of the grids. It prevents the babys getting their heads stuck in the grid gaps.

Thank you for adopting not buying too! Can't wait to see pigtures when they come home :)

ruthanniris

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for all of this!! they are tiny babies, only just ready to leave their mommy! (the lady that owns mom hasnt got enough space for more pigs, and we do!) We don't know what sex they are yet! The lady that has them hasnt been able to sex them yet so we will do asap! We went to meet them yesterday and they are just perfect!! I'll pop a picture on here! The little brown and white one is so so excited, just wont sit still! (To me he is an excited little boy) and the little peachy one is quiet as a mouse and just wants to cuddle and to me is a little girl, we will just have to see!! We havent decided on names for them yet, and any cool suggestions are welcome! We wantto give them cool, geeky names, like maybe Merry and Pippin, Spock and Kirk or something in that vain, we're dying to name them but just cant find the right ones yet! here are our babies! Their mommy has got long, almost afro hair and daddy is short haired and very sleek, so we aren't sure what these guys will be like!

585_10203340012771744_1200073744_n.jpg

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
If they are opposite sexes you will have to keep them in seperate cages until the male can get neutered. Ive heard it can be done as young as 4 months but you will need to ask a member who has had their pig neutured.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They're such little cuties! Like has already been said, they cannot live together once they're 3 weeks old. At 3 weeks old, the (possible) boy could get the sow pregnant, which you don't want. You'll have to keep them separate (which includes no play dates, even if supervised) until your vet will neuter them. Find an exotic vet who's done the procedure before preferably.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
They are very cute, congratulations on your new (almost with you) piggies!

ruthanniris

Cavy Slave
Hi guys!!! Thanks for all the advice- we have bought them home today and they are two cheeky little boys!!!! We have little wicker shelters that they love, we have Timothy hay and Burgess pellets and have so far given them peppers and carrots which they devoured! They are drinking a lot too! We bought an alfalfa ring as per your advice and they really love that too! As I'm on my phone I can't post any photos but if you look on instagram you can see a few pictures of them! Just search for 'ruthanniris' :) as it's two boars we are looking at getting a much bigger hutch very soon though if needs be we are able to connect the two we already have :) we let them run about in the run for an hour earlier as the lady that had them before hadn't been able to let them run aroundugh and they loved it!! We're popcorning within 10minutes! Suffice to say we are totally in love with our boys and have named them Merry and Pippin (LOTR) thanks for all your help!!!!! Xxxxx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.