PDA

View Full Version : First time Guinea pig owner :) just saying Hello!

hellobritty
03-05-14, 03:59 am
I'm Brittany, and I have a little girl piggie. Her name is Lana :) she's very young, but I'm not sure exactly of her age. She just recently lost her umbilical stump if that makes a difference.
She's still getting used to me and my rowdy 2 year old daughter. I've noticed she is nipping a bit more when I hold her, not sure about that either. She's gentle, never draws blood or hurts me.
Anyway I'm rambling :P just introducing myself to everyone.
Would love advice and to gain experience in making my pig more comfortable with me!

hellobritty
03-05-14, 04:13 am
by the way, this is my little fluff ball! :)

Princess_Piggie
03-05-14, 05:24 am
Hello and welcome! If she's suddenly started nipping more when being handled, it could be a sign of mites. Have you noticed her itching more than usual?

squigglesisMINE
03-05-14, 07:14 am
Hi I'm Skylar! If it isn't something medical like mites as Princess_Piggie said, it might be that your hands smell like food. But if you want her to get more used to you, don't force her. Open her cage door and give her a veggie by hand. Have floor time with her but make sure she has places to hide so she feels comfortable. If you don't force anything, and always handle her delicately, she will warm up and be looking forward to your presence.

hellobritty
03-05-14, 08:05 am
Well I've only had her for about 3 days. But no she doesn't scratch at all.

Klarafina
03-05-14, 09:20 am
Hi Brittany!
Lana is such a cute piggie :)

As Skylar said, you shouldn't force her. Just give her enough time so you can gain her trust slowly. Also, you should get her a friend. As guinea pigs are herd animals they can get very lonely without another one.

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 09:31 am
Welcome and Lana is very cute. Yes a friend for Lana would be a great idea like the others have said.

hellobritty
03-05-14, 09:59 am
I guess I need to look into finding her a friend then :) is it Normal for her to want to stay in her hide out? Seems like she's always in there unless she's eating.

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 10:03 am
I guess I need to look into finding her a friend then :) is it Normal for her to want to stay in her hide out? Seems like she's always in there unless she's eating.

I've had mine for two months and we have bonded really well, but from time to time they would rather stay in there cuddle sacks or igloos together than to socialize with me. It's very normal.

hellobritty
03-05-14, 10:05 am
Can I give her a bath? I've looked around and some people say no and some yes. Could I use Baby soap? Sorry for all the questions, lol. I have 2 hamsters but I've never had a Guinea pig before so this Is all new for Me.

Heather_GP
03-05-14, 10:09 am
I gave my piggy a bath, and it didn't have an adverse effects, so I'd say yes, you can get small animal shampoo, that's what I did. :)
& I have to say, your guinea pig is adorable!!!

hellobritty
03-05-14, 10:14 am
I gave my piggy a bath, and it didn't have an adverse effects, so I'd say yes, you can get small animal shampoo, that's what I did. :)
& I have to say, your guinea pig is adorable!!!

Thank you :) also I bought vitamin C drops for her water. Is that necessary or no? I had no idea there were Guinea pig rescues until I found this site so... She's from a pet store and they told me she needed that.

Heather_GP
03-05-14, 10:17 am
Thank you :) also I bought vitamin C drops for her water. Is that necessary or no? I had no idea there were Guinea pig rescues until I found this site so... She's from a pet store and they told me she needed that.

Yeah they need vitamin C, someone told me earlier that giving them 1/8 green bell pepper, gives them their daily dose of vitamin C, thise should be helpful when you run out of the solution :) !

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 10:18 am
Don't put vitamin c drops in the water, as it could cause it to taste bad and she wont drink it. As long as she's getting enough vegetables that are high in vitamin c the drops aren't needed. Check out the diet and nutrition section about what vegetables you can give them.

hellobritty
03-05-14, 10:19 am
Don't put vitamin c drops in the water, as it could cause it to taste bad and she wont drink it. As long as she's getting enough vegetables that are high in vitamin c the drops aren't needed. Check out the diet and nutrition section about what vegetables you can give them.

Thanks :) she's been drinking but I don't want it to taste nasty :/ she loves lettuce, carrots, and apples. Haven't tried anything else though.

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 10:21 am
Thanks :) she's been drinking but I don't want it to taste nasty :/ she loves lettuce, carrots, and apples. Haven't tried anything else though.

Here is a site I use when grocery shopping so I know what is good for them and how often they can have it

http://www.happycavy.com/what-can-guinea-pigs-eat/#list

Heather_GP
03-05-14, 10:22 am
If she's drinking it, then you should be fine. Don't give them apple too often, from what I've read it's too acidic and will make them ill if given too often (I don't know though) !

hellobritty
03-05-14, 10:24 am
Here is a site I use when grocery shopping so I know what is good for them and how often they can have it

http://www.happycavy.com/what-can-guinea-pigs-eat/#list

Awesome!
Okay last question, lol. How can I tell if she's sick or something is wrong? I don't really know her personality yet so I'm not sure. Her nose and eyes are clear. Fur is soft with no bald patches. And she's pooping normal not runny. And she also chatters and eats good too. She just seems... Lazy. Like she just wants to sit in one spot all day.

hellobritty
03-05-14, 10:26 am
Oh! And is she for sure a girl?! Lol

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 10:28 am
You've only had he for 3 days and she's still getting use to the new environment. It took my two, about 7-10 days to start coming out more except for eatting. In time and with a guinea pig friend to play with, she will become more social.

Heather_GP
03-05-14, 10:29 am
Oh! And is she for sure a girl?! Lol

If you look on here www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm this should help!

hellobritty
03-05-14, 10:29 am
You've only had he for 3 days and she's still getting use to the new environment. It took my two, about 7-10 days to start coming out more except for eatting. In time and with a guinea pig friend to play with, she will become more social.

I'm a worrier, lol. I'm scared now that since I got her from a pet store that she could be sick already. :(

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 10:32 am
Check out the below link for checking the sex of the guinea pig

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

hellobritty
03-05-14, 10:35 am
Check out the below link for checking the sex of the guinea pig

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

For sure a little girly :) she was not fond of the check I had to do, lol!

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 10:43 am
That's what I thought, but didn't want to say for sure.

hellobritty
03-05-14, 10:46 am
That's what I thought, but didn't want to say for sure.

If I go to the same pet store they have her sister, should I get her as a cage mate? I know she had 2 siblings with her.

Princess_Piggie
03-05-14, 10:49 am
With regards to bathing, use specific small animal shampoo like Gorgeous Guineas products, baby/other animal shampoo isn't safe. If she doesn't smell/isn't dirty, she doesn't need one yet. She's long haired, so trimming her back-end fur can help as it won't drag in the dirt and get poop and stuff stuck in it. She'll also need more regular grooming since she's long haired to prevent matting.

You should really try and adopt her a cage mate from a rescue centre, they'll often let you do a meet and greet to see how well your pig gets on with the pig you've picked out before taking them home.

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 10:50 am
If I go to the same pet store they have her sister, should I get her as a cage mate? I know she had 2 siblings with her.

I would try a shelter or rescue and adopt a friend for your guinea pig instead of the pet store. I got Dora and Olivia from a rescue since I know how poorly, animals are taken care of some times in pet stores.

hellobritty
03-05-14, 10:53 am
I would try a shelter or rescue and adopt a friend for your guinea pig instead of the pet store. I got Dora and Olivia from a rescue since I know how poorly, animals are taken care of some times in pet stores.

Alright. I'll look and see if there is one around where I live. Thank you so much for answering all my million questions! :D

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 10:58 am
Alright. I'll look and see if there is one around where I live. Thank you so much for answering all my million questions! :D

No problem as I'm home sick anyways. Here is the site I used

http://m.petfinder.com/pet-adoption

GeekPrincess
03-05-14, 11:53 am
Try giving her some green peppers, those are high in vitamin C. Also, since she's less than 6 months old you should either feed her a pellet meant for young piggies or give her alfalfa hay along with her regular hay, as she needs more calcium than an adult pig.

She's very cute, congrats on your new baby

Klarafina
03-05-14, 02:00 pm
She just frightened. She's in a new environment for three days now and has to get used to all the new stuff. It's absolutely normal that she's hiding and sitting in one spot (also, their natural enemies are birds of prey, so yeah, it's completely natural to hide when you move above her). She'll definitely become more active with a friend, they're gonna "talk", play, run around... :)
What's the point in giving her a bath? Guinea pigs are able to clean themselves, so there's no need...besides I think it can really make them nervous so I wouldn't do that (there's also a risk of getting a cold)
It's great that you ask! It's the best way to avoid making mistakes :)

hellobritty
03-05-14, 02:10 pm
She just frightened. She's in a new environment for three days now and has to get used to all the new stuff. It's absolutely normal that she's hiding and sitting in one spot (also, their natural enemies are birds of prey, so yeah, it's completely natural to hide when you move above her). She'll definitely become more active with a friend, they're gonna "talk", play, run around... :)
What's the point in giving her a bath? Guinea pigs are able to clean themselves, so there's no need...besides I think it can really make them nervous so I wouldn't do that (there's also a risk of getting a cold)
It's great that you ask! It's the best way to avoid making mistakes :)

Thank you!
I just figured since her hair was so fluffy she may need a bath, lol. She doesn't stink though she actually smells good like Timothy hay :P

hellobritty
03-05-14, 02:12 pm
Try giving her some green peppers, those are high in vitamin C. Also, since she's less than 6 months old you should either feed her a pellet meant for young piggies or give her alfalfa hay along with her regular hay, as she needs more calcium than an adult pig.

She's very cute, congrats on your new baby

Thank you! I saw alfalfa hay when I bought her Timothy hay but I didn't know she could have that. I'll grab some and green pepper too! :D

hellobritty
03-05-14, 02:22 pm
I just made her an appt with my vet for Monday. Just a new piggy check up. :) fingers Crossed that all is well for miss Lana!

Starthecavy123
03-05-14, 05:43 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You could always use the towel trick on her. Wrap her in a towel almost like a burrito. Then just carry her around with you during the day. This way she will feel like part of your routine. And will help her to bond with you. Of course I know if your doing something that needs both hands and you need to put her down. Then yea do that to make sure the towel doesn't unravel you can pin it. Just make sure she can see you till you can hold her again.

My guinea pig bites to but it never really hurts and she's been doing that ever since we've had her. Its just something some pigs like to do. Some like the salt that out skin has. And some mistake it for food. They have very poor eye site. So if you've been handling food wash your hands befor picking her up. Because if she smells the foods she will try to eat your finger (lol). :D

hellobritty
03-05-14, 05:45 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You could always use the towel trick on her. Wrap her in a towel almost like a burrito. Then just carry her around with you during the day. This way she will feel like part of your routine. And will help her to bond with you. Of course I know if your doing something that needs both hands and you need to put her down. Then yea do that to make sure the towel doesn't unravel you can pin it. Just make sure she can see you till you can hold her again.

My guinea pig bites to but it never really hurts and she's been doing that ever since we've had her. Its just something some pigs like to do. Some like the salt that out skin has. And some mistake it for food. They have very poor eye site. So if you've been handling food wash your hands befor picking her up. Because if she smells the foods she will try to eat your finger (lol). :D

I'll have to try the towel thing! :) she loves cuddling under my blankets when I put her in my bed, so she may like that :)

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 05:45 pm
I second what Starthecavy123 (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/28349-Starthecavy123) said about the towel trick or you can use a cuddle sack.

hellobritty
03-05-14, 05:46 pm
I second what Starthecavy123 (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/28349-Starthecavy123) said about the towel trick or you can use a cuddle sack.

What's a cuddle sack? Sorry if I sound stupid :/

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 05:49 pm
What's a cuddle sack? Sorry if I sound stupid :/

A cuddle sack

hellobritty
03-05-14, 05:54 pm
A cuddle sack

Cute! Do you make them or where can I buy one?

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 05:56 pm
Cute! Do you make them or where can I buy one?

I actually bought them at the rescue when I adopted my piggy girls. They come in handy when it's cuddle time or when I have my daughters every other weekend so they can cuddle and pet them as well since there only 6 and 4 years old.

hellobritty
03-05-14, 05:59 pm
I actually bought them at the rescue when I adopted my piggy girls. They come in handy when it's cuddle time or when I have my daughters every other weekend so they can cuddle and pet them as well since there only 6 and 4 years old.

I need to find one! She would love that.

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 06:03 pm
I need to find one! She would love that.

Here you go

http://www.guineapigmarket.com/cavy-cave#.Uxe7N4WmUXU

hellobritty
03-05-14, 06:06 pm
Here you go

http://www.guineapigmarket.com/cavy-cave#.Uxe7N4WmUXU

Omg! I want them all, lol.

piggydaddy1
03-05-14, 06:13 pm
Omg! I want them all, lol.

I actually have two (one for each even though they tend to lay in the same one together) and wash them every 3 or 4 days depending on if they have been peed in or just pooped in as the poop can just be dumped out.

Rywen
03-05-14, 10:47 pm
Welcome to the forum, your baby girl piggie is adorably cute!

hellobritty
03-05-14, 10:49 pm
Welcome to the forum, your baby girl piggie is adorably cute!

Thank you! I'm at Work right now and I'm dying to get back home to her, lol. I've called my fiancée 3 times already to check on her. :P