Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! New Guinea Pig owner here!

Jonesloonybin

Cavy Slave
Hi! We just got our first Guinea pig. Her name is Pipsqueak. She is super sweet. We got her from Red Dog Farm Animal Rescue here in NC. She is 8 weeks old. We have her in a C&C cage. (2x3 with a 2x1 loft) I have "baby proofed" the cage by adding a second layer of grids off center. She is quite the vocalist. Quite a bit of "wheeking" and she is super cute when she popcorns.

I have been reading this forum and I have learned so much already.

Thanks
Terri

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! We need to see a picture of Pipsqueak...

And, word to the wise here -- she needs a friend. Guinea pigs are social animals, and they definitely do better in pairs or herds. She'll thank you, and be a much more sociable pig if she has a buddy.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, and yay you for rescuing not buying! And for babyproofing!

Like @bpatters said, she'll need a buddy. Try and find another lone girl, or even a neutered boar, in a rescue :)

Jonesloonybin

Cavy Slave
Here are two pictures of our new baby! We are home all the time (stay at home/homeschool) and are able to give her plenty of attention. After we feel comfortable, we will consider a second. We just don't want to overwhelm ourselves.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Terri

Attachments

pipsqueak.jpg pipsqueak2.jpg

LiLiPiggies08

Cavy Slave
Aw! She sounds cute. I just wanted to say, don't freak out about having a neutered male. I think many people shy away from having a neutered male female pair, but I do and they are so sweet to each other.

LiLiPiggies08

Cavy Slave
Awwwwwwwwww. That little face is super cute! My heart just melted.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I promise you, having two is no more effort than having one! The only thing that really goes up is the cost a little, because they'll get through hay/veggies quicker.

Jonesloonybin

Cavy Slave
She is LOVING her new C&C cage! She has been running back and forth and popcorning like crazy! The only thing is that she does not like the ramp. It came with a ramp made of coroplast with strips of extra coroplast running across every 4-5 inches. Very slick and no sides. I am trying to come up with an alternative. Also, she was nibbling on the edge of it. I picked it up until I can make a better one.

LiLiPiggies08

Cavy Slave
I ordered one of guineapigcagesstore.com
but I have also heard of people using scratching post carpet

melynda

Cavy Slave
I also have one from the cage store, which has carpeting on it, and edging on the coroplast. Took them a day or so before they would try it but now they fly up and down constantly.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Welcome to you and Pipsqueak, she has a very pretty face!

claudinehere

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! :) I hope you learn lots of new stuff here and enjoy posting! :)

squigglesisMINE

Cavy Slave
Welcome! She is adorable! Love the name :) if you have any questions, just ask

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Your piggy is ADORABLE! I'm Stephanie and my two piggies are Princess Penelope and Miss Maybelline. I hope you enjoy it here! :)

Jonesloonybin

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am finding so much great info on this forum. I have my fleece washing and hubby is picking up the uhaul pads today.

Terri

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Pipsqueak is very cute I do hope that you consider getting her a friend. I know she will feel so much better and may come out of her shell more with a playmate. I wish I had but my star is to old now and would never get along with another. Because she is so old now and has never been with other guinea pigs. Guinea pig thrive when in pairs or groups. Like one other person said it really wouldn't be any more difficult or different. The only difference is they will go through food and hay more quickly. But as far as vet costs, and time there really would be any difference. And you'll notice pipsqueak to much happier.

pippi

Cavy Slave
aww Pipsqueak is adorable!! My girl's name is Pippi but her "full" name is Pipsqueak and I am also in NC. How random :) I cannot wait to see more pictures of that cute face.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Pipsqueak is very cute I do hope that you consider getting her a friend. I know she will feel so much better and may come out of her shell more with a playmate. I wish I had but my star is to old now and would never get along with another. Because she is so old now and has never been with other guinea pigs. Guinea pig thrive when in pairs or groups. Like one other person said it really wouldn't be any more difficult or different. The only difference is they will go through food and hay more quickly. But as far as vet costs, and time there really would be any difference. And you'll notice pipsqueak to much happier.

Another excellent point actually, I've found that with two guineas, vets tend to sort of do a 'package deal' check up when you take them in, instead of charging you for two at the same time.

Jonesloonybin

Cavy Slave
We got some great news. The rescue that we got Pipsqueak from, called and said that all the babies had been adopted but they still had the mom. So we will be picking her up on Friday. :D Now Pip will have her Mommy to keep her company!!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
That's absolutely brilliant! Even though they're family, proper introductions still need doing as they've been separated. Do you know how to do those or do you need some advice?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.