Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Wire shelves

Tarams

Cavy Slave
Hello, new to this site, though not to guinea pigs :). Been a few years since my last piggie passed on, and this week I just acquired a baby skinny pig and guinea pig, both males and super cute! Right now they are in the large ferplast cage, but I want to move them into a bigger home. For my past piggies I used cc cubes, but I was wondering about wire shelves this time. Seems they will cut them to your measurement at hardware store. Thought it might be easier to attach only 4 pieces, rather than many c&c cubes. Anyone made one? Any reasons why cubes are better?
thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've got a big cage made out of wire shelving. The two big advantages are that it's sturdier, and you can make it to the exact size you want without having to overlap grids. The advantage to C&C is that you can change the configuration more easily.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I really think the only reason cubes are better is that you can change the cage layout and building a base out of the cubes too. Otherwise it would seem the shelving is sturdier and easier to put together.

ajweekley

Cavy Slave
I have a shelving cage. Love it. I found it to be less expensive than the cubes, because I found the shelving super cheap at Walmart. I also like that the shelves have a "lip" at one edge, so I put that at the top so it bends toward the inside. It keeps my Gussy from wanting to jump out. He's quite the leaper, and he can scale straight sides with no problem. That lip keeps him in. It did take some messing around to get it to fit together because of that lip, but worth it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.