PDA

View Full Version : Not good news :(

daftscotslass
09-16-05, 09:21 am
Bracken went to the vet hospital today for some more tests for ovarian cysts and a possible spay. The x-rays showed quite clearly that her ovaries were cystic, so they went ahead with the spay. Our vet, Fiona, who is wonderful, opened her up only to find not only large cystic ovaries, but a large tumour by her cervix. She removed it as best she could, but it was attached to her bladder and intestines. Her intestine was perforated slightly during its removal but quickly repaired.

She had started to wake up, but they weren't holding out too much hope for her. She will be on antibiotics, painkillers and overnight care at the hospital. I won't be able to phone until the morning unless the worst happens, then they will call me. I feel a bit helpless and I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing.

cavy-cool-crazy
09-16-05, 09:26 am
Oh no! That is not good at all, is it. Oh, daftscotslass, I'm so sorry. Let's keep our fingers and toes tightly crossed for Bracken.
You did do the right thing by taking her in - they wouldn't have found the tumour otherwise.
Let us know as soon as you have news of your litte beauty. xxx

ellenvega
09-16-05, 09:34 am
I think you did the right thing, good luck!

RyanR
09-16-05, 10:06 am
You did all you could. My prayers are with you.

Percy's Mom
09-16-05, 10:13 am
Please keep us updated on Bracken. She is such a lovely girl, and all of our best wishes are with the both of you.

Funnygpigs
09-16-05, 10:39 am
I am sorry! I will keep my good thoughts with you two! Hope she does ok, please keep us posted! I am sending you two a huge! :0)

stitsy&codyPig
09-16-05, 10:51 am
I feel so sorry for you and Bracken. I hope everything goes okay. I know how hard it is to lose a piggy(It is very hard)I lost a guinea pig I had for 3 1/2 years. It was so hard. But I hope that you do not have to go through that. My thoughts are with you both, I hope all oes well.

JiggityJig
09-16-05, 10:56 am
I'm sorry....I've been reading long enough to know how much you love your wee lassie!

~~healing vibes~~

daftscotslass
09-16-05, 11:02 am
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I am prepared for the worst but hoping for the best (does that make sense?). Bonnie is lost - she followed Bracken like a sheep. She is currently wandering round her cage wheeking like she does when I take Bracken out for cuddles on her own. I wish I could stay the night at the vet hospital with her.

Ly&Pigs
09-16-05, 11:12 am
I hope things go well and Bracken recovers fully. You did the right thing by taking her in to the vets.

DADYO
09-16-05, 01:10 pm
Good luck, I hope eveything goes well...

daftscotslass
09-17-05, 06:21 am
She is HOME! I'm overjoyed. Never got a wink of sleep last night. She ate, pooped, peed and drank last night at the hospital, and as a result was allowed to come home lunchtime today. From the top you would never know it happened.

I have my fingers, toes and everything else crossed for her. She is currently confined to her old pet store cage next door to Bonnie whilst she is on pee-watch. She is back at the vet on Monday for a top-up on antibiotics and painkillers as required. As we speak she is munching away on her hay and has eaten some lettuce. Will take some piccies when she is settled in (hopefully) a few days from now.

Slap Maxwell
09-17-05, 06:45 am
How excellent! I am so happy she is doing better. Keep us updated.

smileyface cavy
09-17-05, 07:16 am
That's great! Good luck Bracken! :)

cavy-cool-crazy
09-18-05, 05:54 am
That's so good to hear! I hope she makes a full recovery - if she's made it through the night and seems to be OK now then she must be a real fighter!

DADYO
09-18-05, 06:40 am
I'm so happy for you, that's great! :D

daftscotslass
09-18-05, 09:29 am
She's OK again today, eating a little now and again. Bonnie is rather bewildered that she can smell her but not see her as she's in a cage next door. Her scar is pretty big because of the tumour... if you're squeamish look away now...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/daftscotslass/DSCN1397.jpg

Lyndsay
09-18-05, 10:13 am
Aww poor girl! I hope she is all better now. Hopefully she will be reunited with her friend soon enough as well.lol

Da_3_mad_pigs
09-18-05, 10:25 am
ouch! that looks nasty! Hopes she gets well soon!

Funnygpigs
09-18-05, 10:39 am
Oh, I am so happy for you both! I am glad that she is doing OK. That is a nasty scar! I am sure she appreciates haveing you for her slave (since you saved her life!):love: . My fingers are crossed for you two, that she makes a full recovery!!! lol

happie gurl
09-18-05, 10:52 am
aww what a fighter! You did the right thing, you saved her life!:)
All the best wishes- Lanette:heart:

JennG
09-18-05, 11:17 am
Keep us posted on how she's doing. I've got all my fingers crossed for ya too! Sounds like she may recover. Good luck!

daftscotslass
09-18-05, 11:19 am
Thanks for all your good wishes... she's not eating at the moment and her wound is a bit leaky. Described it to the on-call vet over the phone and on guinealynx, both say some leaking is normal. She is worth every minute of effort!

JennG
09-18-05, 11:21 am
Yes they are worth it!! Good luck w/ her and like I said keep us all posted on her recovery.

daftscotslass
09-20-05, 05:16 pm
She lost her fight for life about 15 minutes ago. She was fine up until last night - I don't know what went wrong. I called the vet about 10pm when she seemed like she was fighting for life and the vet knew she was on her way. She was comfortable - if she seemed in pain Fiona would have come out to help her along. I set up my couch bed in the living room with her next to me and she drifted off peacefully.

Bonnie said her goodbyes too, she is now very quiet. Part of me feels so empty.

LuvMyPiggers
09-20-05, 05:19 pm
Oh Daft... Im so sorry. That must be heartbreaking sitting there watching there last breaths. My deepest Sympathy.

LuvMyPiggers

Percy's Mom
09-20-05, 05:27 pm
**BIG hugs from all of us**
I'm so sorry to hear about Bracken's passing. I know she was a wonderful friend and will be dearly missed. Give Bonnie lots of extra love, and you'll both get through this.

RyanR
09-20-05, 05:33 pm
I'm so sorry to hear about Bracken. Stay strong and know that God loves you.

dagwellismypigy
09-20-05, 05:44 pm
I am soo sorry for your loss. You did everything you could, she knew you loved her.

I'm sure she's having fun running around in the parsley fields.

Herbie Girl
09-20-05, 05:53 pm
I'm glad Bracken is doing well..:love:

Becky

Cavy_Guy
09-20-05, 06:13 pm
Herbie Girl, I am not sure if you noticed, but Bracken is not doing well. She just passed today. Just thought I would let you know.

Ly&Pigs
09-20-05, 06:50 pm
I am so sorry Daft. I was so hoping she would be fine, I have been saying piggie prayers for her everyday since you told us she was having surgery. At least she went peacefully.

If you need to talk, know I am always available.

Herbie Girl
09-20-05, 07:11 pm
Oh no, I'm so sorry.. I must not have read all the comments. The last time I read she was fine.. My deepest sympathy goes out to you.. I also watched my pet die in front of me so I know how sad it is....:weepy:

Becky

JennG
09-20-05, 07:37 pm
:weepy: Daft, I'm so very sorry but I'm sure that she knew how much you loved her and how much you gave her to try and keep her w/ you. Now, she'll watch over you and her friends.

My Baby Mu
09-20-05, 08:49 pm
So sorry daft. Now, she is in veggie heaven.

daftscotslass
09-20-05, 10:33 pm
Thanks everyone for your kind words, it means a lot. Hoping I can soon find a space in my heart for another friend for Bonnie some time soon.

Acorn
09-20-05, 10:48 pm
I'm so glad she's "sort of" ok. I hope she'll be living with you over again!!!

Salstar
09-20-05, 11:56 pm
Daft, I'm so sorry to hear about Brackens passing. Treasure all those good memories you had of her.

Teria
09-21-05, 01:27 am
I so hope she gets better soon!

citronsoul
09-21-05, 06:15 am
I'm so sorry to hear about Bracken! At least you were able to get her back home before she passed away. You did the best you could for her. *hug*

pennick
09-21-05, 06:31 am
She had a wonderful owner. Someone that truly loved and cared for her. I am very sorry of the outcome.

Teria
09-21-05, 07:42 am
Oh no. I didn't see the second page. I'm so sorry!

Marlania
09-21-05, 07:53 am
I just caught this thread this morning. I'm so sorry about your baby. Take care.

CavyAddict
09-21-05, 08:10 am
Hi

I am new to the boards.

But I wanted to say that I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry to hear of your loss :sorry: . I understand what you are going through as I am a big animal lover too.

You did your best for her and she will have known what kind of an owner that she had.

CA :heart:

JiggityJig
09-21-05, 08:15 am
I'm sad to hear this. I loved hearing about your girls! I hope you all adjust to your loss, soon.

Odella
09-21-05, 08:25 am
I am so, so sorry daftscotslass. I agree with what Pennick said, she had a great owner, and she knew that. Take care <3

daftscotslass
09-21-05, 08:27 am
Thank you all millions for your kind words, it means a lot to me. There's a guinea pig rescue 30 miles north of me that has over 60 at the moment, so we will be adopting a friend for Bonnie towards the end of the month. Bracken was my first rescue piggy, and she has set the stage for the rest of my pet-owning days. The year I had with her was short but the most rewarding of my life.

cavy-cool-crazy
09-21-05, 09:48 am
Oh, I am so so sorry to hear about Bracken. She was a beautiful girl and she will always stay in your heart. Give Bonnie a hug for me! x

Funnygpigs
09-21-05, 12:11 pm
Sorry to hear about your pig! *big hug*, just remember that you did everything for her that you possible could! She knows it to! :0)