Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello

fuzzybutts

Cavy Slave
Hi there, my name is Tracy and I am a cavy lover. Right now I have two little ones and am trying to find a way
to put some weight on them. They get good feed, with oats, calf manna and treats too. They are showing signs
of 'failure to thrive" and I am trying to prevent this. All my other piggies are well and happy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

What are their signs of "failure to thrive?" Are you weighing them regularly?

I'm not sure calf manna is a good feed for them. Its principal ingredient is soy, which is not recommended for guinea pigs. It also has a minimum of .7% calcium, which is high for guinea pigs, and may result in urinary tract stones. Particularly in conjunction with oats, where some varieties are also high in calcium, they may be really getting too much.

A good diet for guinea pigs consists of unlimited long strand grass hay (timothy, blue, meadow, orchard, brome), good quality plain pellets, and a cup or so of fresh vegetables, of which red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers should be staples. They also can eat tomato, young green beans, small chunks of carrot, summer squash, occasional other greens. Anything high in sugar should only be an occasional treat, as guinea pig intestines aren't really designed to process sugar. You can see https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what guinea pigs can eat and how often.

melynda

Cavy Slave
How old are they? Are you feeding them fresh veggies? How are they getting vitamin c? Do they have unlimited access to hay?

Welcome to the forum. There are many, many knowledgeable folks here.

fuzzybutts

Cavy Slave
Not sure if I am answering this right ...FTT is basically like progeria in children. Their hair, nails, body progress as normal but they stay very very small. They usually will not last more than 5 or so months. They get plenty of hay that I get from the amish farmers around here. It is nicer than oxbow etc. They get fresh pellets and loads of veggies.
Welcome to the forum!

What are their signs of "failure to thrive?" Are you weighing them regularly?

I'm not sure calf manna is a good feed for them. Its principal ingredient is soy, which is not recommended for guinea pigs. It also has a minimum of .7% calcium, which is high for guinea pigs, and may result in urinary tract stones. Particularly in conjunction with oats, where some varieties are also high in calcium, they may be really getting too much.

A good diet for guinea pigs consists of unlimited long strand grass hay (timothy, blue, meadow, orchard, brome), good quality plain pellets, and a cup or so of fresh vegetables, of which red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers should be staples. They also can eat tomato, young green beans, small chunks of carrot, summer squash, occasional other greens. Anything high in sugar should only be an occasional treat, as guinea pig intestines aren't really designed to process sugar. You can see https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what guinea pigs can eat and how often.

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Hi! Welcome to the forum. I wish you luck in getting your little guinea pigs healthy! :)

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
so sorry to hear your piggys are ill. Hope they get well soon. Welcome to the forums from me. Honey the seeing eye dog and chock the piggy

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum :) Are they small in size, or just weight? How old are they? Some pigs just stay quite petite frame wise and are still at healthy weights.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.