Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ever expanding late x-mas gift.

mkpiggy

Cavy Slave
My brother had found a guinea pig at his work. Someone just left him at a park. He had died a few weeks after that. I had seen parker as that was his name and I was amazed at how well he behaved around my 2yr old and how well my two year old did with him. After that time I been wanting to get myself a heard of "pigs". One day while while I was at work my wife found a lady who was giving away 2 guinea pigs 1 male 1 female. We asked if he had a nut job and is the female pregnant. The lady replied that the male has no interest in the female, and that the male hides behind the female. With that we picked up the pigs. Took me one look to see that she was pregnant.

Now home not knowing what we will do. I do what any American or person I "Google it". Found out that they will need to be separated and with that I went to check on the pigs and I seen seen a red mark on the female. By then we have come up with names. Dasiy for the female and Duke for the boy. I did not like that and we wemt out to a pet store and purchase another cage. They are separated every time but once my wife was feeling guilty. Duke was all over Dasiy trying to make more baby's. We put a stop to it right a way and they been living apart for now. We have ordered a 6x2 c&c. He will be sniped before meeting Daisy again. Any help and information will be wonderful. Two big questions I have is what breed are Daisy and Duke? Is there a way to tell how old a guinea pig is? What is the warning sign she is going to give birth?

uploadfromtaptalk1393136879565.jpguploadfromtaptalk1393136903761.jpguploadfromtaptalk1393136943748.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no way to really tell how old a pig is. Young pigs tends to have sharp, thin nails which usually thicken as they get older, but that doesn't really help.

Read https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html and https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html for what to expect in pregnancy and delivery.

There are three pretty reliable signs about pregnancy, which normally lasts 9-10 weeks. You can feel the pups moving at about six weeks if you put your hands along her flanks; you can hear the pups gnashing their teeth about a week before delivery; the pelvic bones will separate about 48 hours before delivery.

Welcome to the forum!

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
I can't help with any of your questions, sorry. I just wanted to say welcome to the group! Your Piggys and your little boy are adorable!

mkpiggy

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I have visited both sites. That is how I have found this site. I woke up this morning and found 2 baby guinea pigs. Looking up at me when I moved the hut as I seen a some blood in the cage.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I have visited both sites. That is how I have found this site. I woke up this morning and found 2 baby guinea pigs. Looking up at me when I moved the hut as I seen a some blood in the cage.

Congrates on the little babies. I'm sure your kid was excitted when you noticed the babies.

mkpiggy

Cavy Slave
Thank you, He is still asleep as our 6month old woke me up this morning hungry.

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the babies! There isn't much that is cuter than a baby piggy!

mkpiggy

Cavy Slave
I must agree one is quite bold and I already pet the baby piggy. How soon can we hold the baby's

Rywen

Cavy Slave
You can hold the babies right away, if it makes the Mom piggie nervous then leave one with her while you hold the other. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new piggies and the babies!

mkpiggy

Cavy Slave
The babies and there mommy. Still dont know boy or girl count.

uploadfromtaptalk1393193413692.jpguploadfromtaptalk1393193429344.jpg

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Adorable babies!

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Very cute babies and thanks for posting pictures.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.