Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allow myself to introduce...myself...and my piggies :) Kinda long

MomOfMany

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone :) I have been learning so much from this site over the past few months and I keep learning more every day!

I am a SAHM to 4 children, and we have recently acquired two piggies, Cookie and Biscuit. It all started in late November when my oldest son really, really wanted a pet. I had a guinea pig growing up and have always been partial to them.

As luck would have it, someone at our school had to give up their guinea pig due to allergies. I took the plunge and agreed to take him a few days later. I read as much as I could about GPs over several days. I learned that we had done practically everything wrong with my childhood guinea pig (sorry, Perky)! Cookie was in a pet store cage, and alone. So, armed with lots of info from this site, I gathered the supplies to make a C&C cage and find another pig.

Alas, I am a blithering idiot, and had the wrong minimum cage size implanted in my brain. I made a 2x3 cage instead of a 2x4 cage. It does have a kitchen loft, but I know that it is on the small side, aargh!

I found someone on Kijiji (similar to Craigslist) who was giving away guinea pigs. Enter Biscuit :) I kept them separated for several days (I know now that isn't a proper quarantine length) to make sure that they seemed in good health, and to be 100% certain they were both boys. (Did the "push out the penis" trick to make sure.) Introductions were on our kitchen floor and went very well indeed! I was nervous after reading some of the introduction stories gone wrong...

Cookie is a long-haired guy who was 11 months when we got him and Biscuit is a short-haired guy who was 2 months when we got him. I am not sure if they have officially bonded, but they seem to get along well, and sometimes are in the same hidey.

I am planning a cage upgrade soon. I am not liking fleece for the kitchen loft, and I want to make the loft bigger as well. I want to put the ramp outside the cage and replace the pigloos with a tunnel and a corner hidey. I hope my attempt at uploading pictures works!

Cheers and thanks for reading :)

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hello and welcome to you and your piggys :) from maddy chock the piggy and honey the guide dog

mtk2000

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Your boys are adorable! I have two girls Hershey and Rookie. Right now I have the same setup but with carefresh as bedding on the top. The ramp catches any debris and I can spot clean when ever. I highly recommend bedding for the loft/kitchen.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Your boys are adorable, welcome!

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I just got the title of this thread lol I love the first Austin Powers movie.

Welcome to the forum!

MomOfMany

Cavy Slave
I just got the title of this thread lol I love the first Austin Powers movie.

Welcome to the forum!

LOL! I was hoping someone would get it ;) That movie cracks me up!

Thanks everyone for the welcome :D

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
welcome, this site definitely has tons of information so that you will be able to properly care for these beautiful boys, but it looks like you're already doing a fantastic job!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.