Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shelf Life

Cavy Tamer

Cavy Slave
I just last week bought 40 lbs of bunny food and 50 lbs of hay from oxbow thinking it would last a nice long time, and then my pet rabbit passed away this past Sunday. Now I have A LOT of food and hay... I am thinking about getting another rabbit, but not for about a month. Would this food still be good then and how much longer after that will it last?

I keep it pretty nicely sealed up and in my basement.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
How many cavies do you have? I buy 50 lb bags from oxbow also for my 6 sows. The hay can stay fresh in a dry dark evvironment for 6 months. You can not use the bunny food on the cavies though. I would donate the food to the spca with a clear note saying ONLY FOR RABBITS. I am sorry for your loss. Maybe you can adopt another cavy!

Cavy Tamer

Cavy Slave
Oh, well, I bought cavy food too. I have two cavies. They eat they hay as well... but there's just so much of it...

I'm pretty sure I'll get another rabbit in about 6 weeks. I contacted a breeder and a new bunny would be ready for me around that time.

I just want to be sure that the food will still be nutritiously potent 6 weeks from now. (I only received the food between one and two weeks ago)

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
:important Please do NOT go to a breeder! There are thousands and thousands of rabbits for adoption! Rabbits are the third most abandoned animal in the world, way, way worse than guinea pigs.

Try www.petfinder.com. They are usually always spayed and neutered already, and they are homeless. Most will be put down if not adopted. Please save a rabbit's life and don't support the breeding industry.

Oxbow usually has an expiration date at the bottom of the bag. They hay can last as long as it is green and good smelling.

Cavy Tamer

Cavy Slave
Well, I also have rabbit food intended for baby rabbits... So I want to get a very young bunny. I'll do more research though.

Is there any indicator (like the hay being green) for the rabbit pellets to know if they're still good?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
There are plenty of baby rabbits for adoption that need homes.

Look at the expiration date. Freezing the pellets keeps them fresh.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
I find it helps to seperate about a weeks worth of food scoop into seperate baggies and freeze them. As the weeks go by, I use one bag. Works pretty well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.