Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating My piggy not eating any vegetables

TiaColleen

Cavy Slave
My piggy is laying around more and has stopped eating his vegetables. He is still eating his hay and drinking, just not acting his normal self. His poops are smaller and dryer then normal. I am taking him to the vet today at 5:00. Although, there are no truly exotic vets in my area, but he does treat pocket pets. Could he have teeth problems by just stopping eating vegies and not hay?

He lives in an adjoining cage with Elliott, could he be upset that he cannot be with Elliott? I have had this setup for a few weeks now though. Other changes made was I was trying to switch him to small pet select pellets, but he loves his oxbow. I dumped the mix and gave him back his Oxbow. I also gave him Revolution for mites on Jan 20 and forgot to give him his 2nd dose and afraid to now since he is not acting right.

I have tried to hand feed him vegies too - just not interested. He loved his radicchio & red lettuce, but has always been picky with his carrots ( used to eat the centers out of them)

Please help if you have any suggestions. He is about 2 years old

Thanks

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Smaller, drier poops mean dehydration. You can try syringing some water to him, or giving him his veggies extra wet. You can also try some cucumber, which is mostly water, but limit it -- it can cause gassiness and bloat.

Does he act like he's sick? Puffed up? Eyes/nose runny? Sneezing?

When did he stop eating the veggies?

Is there a reason you haven't tried to put them together? Guinea pigs almost always do better with a friend.

TiaColleen

Cavy Slave
This is the third day he has not eaten his vegies. Cooper is free range but has a 1 x 3 on the end of Elliott's cage. He also has a 2 x 4 under Elliott to call his own. He would always come out to the kitchen or family room at breakfast lunch and dinner. He would follow me around till I got him his vegies. Now he will not leave the room (cage is in my home office) He does not look sick. He is not sneezing. One time he was hunched like he was having difficulty pooping. He usually would let us pet him, but now he seems very spooked too. As soon as we get near him he bolts and hides.

He is very aggressive with Elliott and one time together got his eye scratched. Now I am afraid to try to put them together again. Plus then I would have to have 2 free range. I took the 2nd one to help someone out. I wanted a baby for him but that didn't work out

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think I'd take Elliott to the vet, if he were mine. That's abnormal enough behavior that something is wrong, and if you haven't figured it out after three days, it's time for someone to take a look at him.

TiaColleen

Cavy Slave
We are back from the vet. It is Cooper who is sick. They think he could have the start of a UTI so they gave him Bactrim and some enhancer to make him want to eat. A wonderful vet even if not exotic. Gave me their cell phone # to get ahold of them if I need them during tomorrows snowstorm or over the weekend.
Thank you for all of your help BPatters

TiaColleen

Cavy Slave
Well, I have been reading a lot of old posts and I am now convinced my Cooper stopped eating due to his dose of revolution I gave him for mites, not from sickness. I was mixed up with when he had the revolution, but checked his book and he stopped eating one week after that dose. My vet only gives ivermectin by injection and I wanted to save him from that injection, but this ordeal was worse then the injection and more costly. Does anybody else allow their piggies to get injections if needed? The vet gave him an injection to get fluids in him on Friday. I have tried to syringe some pedialyte in him and he just gets too stressed out. So I have been wetting down a leaf of lettuce about every 2 hrs now instead and giving to him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.