Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What Carrier Do You Use?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I want to get a good quality carrier. I'm looking at this

(broken link removed)

The sides panels roll up if you want more ventilation as the windows are mesh and there is a mattress type pad in a tray at the bottom for comfort. Does this look good for 1 pig? Any concerns?

Or this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063433...TF8&colid=2P51LJOPPOAWS&coliid=I39E2NYWZ9VD36

Or this:
(broken link removed)

It's for going up to 2 hours away. No plane rides. Sherpa just has a ton of great quality reviews so that's why I'm looking at this brand. If you have something you love, let me know! :)

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
I've never used soft carriers. I think they would be harder to clean.

This is the one I have.
(broken link removed)

I line it with towels and fleece.

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
I've never used soft carriers. I think they would be harder to clean.

This is the one I have.
(broken link removed)

I line it with towels and fleece.

That is the kind I use and I also line it with towels and fleece.

Artista

Cavy Slave

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb chews everything, lol. He was chewing on the door bars but they are metal, he wasn't able to chew through them. It's more red than rose, it only looks rose in certain light, and I'm not sure about the water cup, I haven't found one if it's there. I use a hand towel and a cuddle sack and he's fine in there.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If your pig is a chewer, she could chew through the soft carrier mesh windows.

My carrier has a metal door, I think the two door is also metal.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I'm not getting a soft carrier. The cleaning hassle part woke me up. @Rywen so the bars on the door is metal and inside is all plastic? Nothing to chew on?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I considered a soft carrier for about half a second and then realized it would take Ferb that amount of time to chew his way out.
The doors are both metal but the top door has plastic parts as well. It's that thick heavy duty plastic and it doesn't bend. I don't think a piggie could chew any off.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I considered a soft carrier for about half a second and then realized it would take Ferb that amount of time to chew his way out.
The doors are both metal but the top door has plastic parts as well. It's that thick heavy duty plastic and it doesn't bend. I don't think a piggie could chew any off.
I just placed an order for it! My bro gave me a $50 amazon gift card for Christmas so this is his gift to me, well really, to Mooshy. :D

pinky

Cavy Slave
My favorites are the cabin kennels. I have solid and wire top ones. They look like a plastic suitcase with ventilation on the sides. The wire topped one is good for when it's warm. The top has a section where you can slide a portion to reach inside at the top. I also have a pet taxi and a kennel cab. They open in the front but are a little harder to clean and more difficult to get the guinea pigs out. I had some soft ones but I tossed them. Guinea pigs can chew the vinyl and they get really gross quickly. There's cardboard under the fabric and vinyl so you can't wash them.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I hope you like it! Don't expect a water cup, I think it must be on a different model. If you need to you can attach a water bottle to the door grille.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I hope you like it! Don't expect a water cup, I think it must be on a different model. If you need to you can attach a water bottle to the door grille.

I've read other reviews that say the water cup is missing. I never would use it anyway. For the longer trips, I put wet lettuce in along with hay.

Artista

Cavy Slave

I really like it! I won't use the side door since the top door opens big and is much easier. The color I'd say is a dark rose. And yup, no water cup.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@Artista I'm so glad to hear you like it! I only use the top door too.

Artista

Cavy Slave
@Artista I'm so glad to hear you like it! I only use the top door too.

I get to use it next week. In her old one, it was pretty small. It had a plastic bottom and I just put carefresh in it. This is much bigger and don't want to pour so much carefresh in one outting. When you said you put fleece over towels, does you pig burrow or move around so that these go all crooked? Mooshy likes to burrow and move around, unfortunately. The carefresh was always shoved all over the place in it.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I put Ferb's cuddle sack over a hand towel. He went into the cuddle sack and sometimes under the cuddle sack but he was still on top of the towel. It was wicked cold out with a biting wind, he did fine staying warm, he ran into the back of his cuddle sack and hunkered down. I also put some hay in with him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.