Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Bookcase Guinea Pig Cage!!!

• Thread starter piggiepigpigs75
  • Start date

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
Okay guys, so some of you may have seen Piggiepigpigs(youtube) new guinea pig cages. Well I have been stuck on the idea. So I have decided to build a cage like hers. She has a melamine board cage with plexiglass across the front. Of course, the walls I will make will be 12" high so the pigs cannot hop out, yet have good air ventilation. The cage can be no more than 30" wide by 64" long for 3 boars. That is all I have room for, if I had more room, they would have a much bigger cage. So I have a couple questions:

1. How thick should the plexxiglass I get be?

2. Can I use this bookcase from Home Depot and cut it down? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton...ookcase-THD90004-1a-OF/204493426?N=5yc1vZc7o5
I know people use the ikea billy bookcase. The only ikea in New England is here in Massachusetts and it is about an hour and a half away. I saw this at home depot yesterday and I think it would be perfect.

3. Pictures would be great!

Thanks!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
What are you using the book case for? for the actual cage or for a stand? Since you are cutting it down anyway it might just be better to build the whole thing from scratch and then get 3 shelf lower cases for the stand...

As for plexiglass, if its not going to be in a frame I wouldn't go thinner than 1/2", If you are going to insert it into a frame you can go thinner (1/4"), but the thicker the better depending on budget. Plexiglass is expensive. I got my plexiglass here precut to size:

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_clear/508

I have also ordered from here and they have good prices. They will also cut them for you:
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23554&catid=442&clickid=searchresults

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
What are you using the book case for? for the actual cage or for a stand? Since you are cutting it down anyway it might just be better to build the whole thing from scratch and then get 3 shelf lower cases for the stand...

As for plexiglass, if its not going to be in a frame I wouldn't go thinner than 1/2", If you are going to insert it into a frame you can go thinner (1/4"), but the thicker the better depending on budget. Plexiglass is expensive. I got my plexiglass here precut to size:

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_clear/508

I have also ordered from here and they have good prices. They will also cut them for you:
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23554&catid=442&clickid=searchresults

the the reason for the bookcase s because I am not that crafty. I thought of the melamine wood board, but I like the bookcases better because it comes with everything I need. How would I Beulah a frame?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Looking at Lauras video on youtube I think she actually uses 1/8" thick plexiglass. Which is what I use for my plexi windows in my cage. It's very thin but I have to use that size because my panels fit in C and C connectors. I did mine modular because I have a lid and wanted more airflow. Plus if something gets cracked or scratched I can easily replace the panels individually rather than having to take apart the whole cage. Its very cheap to do it that way. One of the moderators on here has a gorgeous cage done with plexi and wood.

I just kinda feel like it would be difficult and more work to cut down a bookshelf if you are not going to use it at full size. They are usually kinda cheap and put together a specific way. Also the bottoms of them are usually some sort of thick cardboard etc, not quite make for support. Do you know what the back of the bookcase you are looking at is made of?

I also have a plexi window cut in my coroplast, that is also an option, to mount the plexi to the coroplast.

This is one of my previous cage designs:
The front two panels are 14x14 plexi glass and behind that the coroplast base, almost the whole front has a plexiglass window so while it looks like I have very low coroplast, it's actually 6" high.
1479263_10202257525656731_1781182753_n.jpg

I did something similar to this, but mine is held on by velcro on the inside so I can remove it for replacing and cleaning:
momo_new_stacked_cage_4.jpg

Here is a built cage I admire, I believe this is moderator Lissie's gorgeous cage:
IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

Last edited:

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I almost guarantee that the back of that bookcase is cardboard not melamine coated wood. So if you are planning on turning the book case on it's back and using it as a frame then it may not work for you.

What does the cage look like that you are trying to copy? I think we could help more if we knew.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Hijacking... I think it is this set up:

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
They had the bookcases set up at Home Depot and it felt like wood. Could I line the bottom in coroplast also. The shelves look exactly like the ikea billy shelf. @Traysea

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Maybe you can message Laura and ask what the back of the bookshelf is made of.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Laura used individual shelves on an ikea desktop, not a whole bookcase.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Theres actually a video where she tells everyone how she made it and what she used. She even added links to everything she used to build her cages in the information bar.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Yep. Fiancé piggiepigpigs built it all for her and she explains it all. I'm using some of her ideas myself for Colonels new cage :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.