PDA

View Full Version : URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Baytril administration

SamIAm
02-08-14, 11:58 am
I have a guinea pig (Jose) with an upper respiratory infection that has turned into pneumonia. He was on Bactrim and has now been changed to Baytril and Doxycycline. He took the Bactrim great, loved it actually. He takes the Doxycycline fine, but HATES the Baytril. I have a lot of experience with giving meds, I'm a pediatric nurse and have a pigger on daily meds for heart disease, but Jose really really hates the Baytril, I can force him to take it, but he gags on it and is starting to run from me and not like me too much either. I'm wondering if anyone has mixed it with a carrot juice or other juice to disguise the taste. I obviously would still make him take it through a syringe and only a small amount. I thought I had seen something at one time on this but can't find it now. Any suggestions??

Rywen
02-08-14, 12:07 pm
Ferb's vet said its okay to dip the tip of the syringe in orange juice. I also gave Ferb a small treat after he took his medicine so he would take the Baytril with this look of resigned disgust on his face but knew he was getting a piece of cilantro or strawberry after so put up with it.

bpatters
02-08-14, 12:18 pm
See http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html.

SamIAm
02-08-14, 01:31 pm
Thank you both! I'm struggling to get him to take anything from a syringe now. Ugh. But I am definitely going to be trying some other options. He does seem better today though - no wheezing - yay! So we'll keep trucking along.

Rywen
02-08-14, 01:36 pm
The first few times I gave Ferb meds (he had a URI and was also on Baytril and Doxy) I had to wrap him in a dish towel so only his head stuck out. Then I would hold him against my chest so he couldn't turn his head away. The treat after worked wonders towards getting him to cooperate.

bpatters
02-08-14, 01:53 pm
What size syringe are you using?

Are you putting it in his mouth from the side and then turning it back so that it points to his throat?

SamIAm
02-08-14, 05:00 pm
I'm using a 1 ml syringe and a small unit dose syringe. Yes, I'm putting it in from the side behind the front teeth and pointing it back. I'm very experienced with giving animals meds, Jose is just being stubborn and trying to spit everything out. I can make him do it, which I will, I'm just trying to get him to do it a bit more willingly so that he doesn't hate me for it. But if he hates me for awhile I can live with it to make him healthy. It's tough love at our house. :)

bpatters
02-08-14, 05:02 pm
My guess is that it'll have to be the tough love. Most pigs don't like Baytril, and fight it tooth and toenail.

SamIAm
02-08-14, 05:03 pm
And I give him his meds right before veggies, this worked wonders for my Gus who gets his heart meds. Jose's a bit harder to please. I think he's mad I stopped the Bactrim, I think he thought that was a treat. :)

SamIAm
02-08-14, 05:14 pm
My guess is that it'll have to be the tough love. Most pigs don't like Baytril, and fight it tooth and toenail.

Ha ha! I have to laugh at the way you stated this. He gets those little paws (and toenails) up to try to push the syringe away. What a turkey!

Jose and I thank you for the help also!

SamIAm
02-08-14, 05:20 pm
61026Here is the little turkey himself. I brought him out for some cuddle time and bribery with a carrot. He says thank you!

Rywen
02-08-14, 08:11 pm
Awwww, he's a cutie pie!

SamIAm
02-09-14, 12:02 am
Update: tonight's meds went a little bit better. He still doesn't like it but at least didn't spit any back out at me. I mixed a little bit of carrot juice with the Baytril and he seemed to do better with it. And I gave his probiotic sprinkled on a little piece of lettuce, he ate it right up. I tried to mx the probiotic with some pumpkin, he wanted nothing to do with it, although his brothers enjoyed the pumpkin! And he didn't eat very well this morning but seems to be eating much better tonight. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Rywen
02-09-14, 12:07 am
That's good news! Is the probiotic a paste, gel or powder? I'm just curious, Ferb loves the taste of the benebac gel and eats it smeared on green pepper.

SamIAm
02-09-14, 09:25 am
I'm using a crushed up human acidophilus tab. I don't have any Benebac, but I did have that on hand since I take it daily. I'm going out to see if maybe I can find some benebac today. If not I may order some to have on hand but probably won't have it until he's almost done, that's the way it always works isn't it? But he did eat it just fine sprinkled on a piece of lettuce last night, so we're going that route now.