Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Made our first C&C

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
For anyone that hasn't already read about Chewy, here is my original thread:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/96017-Hi!-(super-long-story)?highlight=

We had our second vet visit today and he has gained almost half a pound in the last 10 days. He's getting big! :) The vet said he's healthy now other than the fact that he won't eat hay or green veggies, so I'm going to get him a buddy and hopefully he or she will teach him to eat the good stuff.

We made a C&C today, I'm going to attach a picture just so I can show it off. I was wondering, though, about the coroplast. I found a place that sells it, now I just have to find a way to get it home.
What's the best way to measure for cutting it? Should I measure the inside of the cage, or along the outside? When I'm making the walls for it, is it best to cut it a little and bend it up the sides or to cut sections off and tape them? I'm getting so excited :)

DSCN0829.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
The cage looks nice. Sorry to tell you this, you have unsafe grids.
(broken link removed)!!

To make coroplast base, measure from the inside of the cage, from the edge of the connector to the edge of the other connector.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Also, if you do get a 'she' as Chewy's buddy, she'll have to be spayed, unless Chewy's already neutered.

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
The cage looks nice. Sorry to tell you this, you have unsafe grids.
(broken link removed)!!

To make coroplast base, measure from the inside of the cage, from the edge of the connector to the edge of the other connector.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

The only unsafe grid I have where Chewy will be is the one against the wall, but that's just where the ramp is going to be. The rest of the unsafe grids are along the bottom and the underside where the storage is. The rest are 9 squares across :)
Thanks a bunch for the how to link :)

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Also, if you do get a 'she' as Chewy's buddy, she'll have to be spayed, unless Chewy's already neutered.

I found a rescue center about an hour away that I've been communicating with. They have a bunch of spayed females and neutered males. We're going to have a meet and greet with Chewy and a couple other piggies to see if they get along before we get another :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Ah great! I think a spayed female would make an excellent companion for Chewy :)

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
good job on the cage! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished. what are you planning to use for bedding?
I've been following Chewys story a bit and that is amazing how he is thriving in your care! best of luck for the meet and greet with potential buddies, so exciting! =)

as for cutting coro.... I'm no help in that department really. I do have a coro base but that was such a mess LOL I went to a fast signs store and had them cut the coro to the dimensions of a 2 x 4 with 6in sides and it still barely fit in the car (honda accord). the leftover coro I had to cut up and tape to the 2 x 4 piece to make it a 4 x 4. idk I wasn't very smart about my math there ^^

lissie

Cavy Slave
The only unsafe grid I have where Chewy will be is the one against the wall, but that's just where the ramp is going to be. The rest of the unsafe grids are along the bottom and the underside where the storage is. The rest are 9 squares across :)
Thanks a bunch for the how to link :)

I can only see 8 squares across on the front grids. Did you swap them out after taking pics?

jinxie

Cavy Slave
Everyone has already given great tips. For cutting the coro to size + 6 inches around... i just want to say I feel your pain and frustration. That is really the hardest part since you have two layers of coro to cut through. Don't cut your floor by accident! If you want your base to slide out consider that when cutting the flaps on the sides. But the side walls are easy, just score the opposite side and fold up to make the wall. You dont want to cut all the way through there anyway cause pee might leak out etc. I use a packing knife (the kind that adjusts how far the blade goes out) so i don't cut too deep when scoring. I never had luck with a ruler i just got to where I eyeball it on a pencil drawn line. Once the knife goes off course you have to wiggle it back with or without a ruler cause it has a mind of its own. Don't expect perfection. Once it's all done you will be so happy with it.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I see 8x8 around the front and that big 5x5 along the back. 8x8 are unsafe as well, sorry to say. 9x9 are the safe ones

Traysea

Cavy Slave
yah, all those grids except for the 5x5 looks to be 8x8, not 9x9. Maybe you can just go up extra high on your coroplast (like 7.5" high?).

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
I can only see 8 squares across on the front grids. Did you swap them out after taking pics?

Nope, apparently I can't count. I guess maybe I was too excited and counted what I wanted to. I swear I counted 9 squares lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.